PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Hello, my friends! I would like to know your opinions...
My last Dunhills (it's a Liverpool 35 and a Billiard 59), seems to be manufactured during World War II.
According to John Loring:
"All that lengthy aside is to explain that the Second World War also limited Dunhill’s ability to have new nomenclature stamping tools made up. Dunhill nomenclature was (and is) stamped by blocks of words, numbers and symbols rather then individual letters etc. and prior to the war new stamping tools were ordered at the end of each year to reflect the pending datecode change. While this continued to a limited extent during the war, a great many Shells between 1941 and 1943/1945 were stamped without a datecode with a tool that read:
DUNHILL SHELL MADE IN ENGLAND

PATENT No 1341418/20.
Since the usage of this particular stamping tool was only during the war, the stamp in and of itself serves to date a pipe to the handful of war years (this may also be true of smooth finished pipes stamped MADE IN ENGLAND [/] PAT No 1343253/20 without either a datecode or an INNERTUBE stamping.)"
So guys, what do you think?
Thanks!
Patents

Pipes 01

Pipes 02

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Pretty pipes!

Yes, that stamping is from approximately 1941-1943 and as you can imagine, rather scarce.

Here is the stamping on mine
18524422-orig.jpg

Don

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Nice Don!

Please, show me more pics!

...And the / 3 after the shape code? It's about the group?

In my case, 35/3 and 59/3.
Thanks!

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
not exactly. I'm in Australia... ...Dunny and Dunnies are Aussie slang for toilets and I've not come across the word in connection with Dunhill Pipes before.
Just to be clear, I am not disparaging Dunhill Pipes! It's just they were not the first thing that I thought of when seeing the message thread header ..

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Dave, I have other pipes with inner tubes patents that don't have this reference. Do you know when this reference number for inner tubes was introduced? Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill/White Spot guy, but I have noticed WWII was a challenge for Dunhill along with many pipe makers, in terms of the availability of briar. In terms of birth year pipes, the war years and just after are fairly thin. In the U.S., other woods, Mountain Laurel among them, were used in place of briar, and for years afterward and even occasionally today pipes are stamped "Imported Briar," to emphasize the use of "real" briar.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Resurrecting another topic-related zombie thread.
Definitely not many Dunhills made during the WWII years. Here's the only one I've ever owned. The funny bit is I thought for 25 years it was my birth year pipe (1953)... didn't even know what I had. :lol:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rare-maybe-unique-dunhill-475

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the 1950's, Dunhill tobacco pipes were still priced for regular consumers and not as premium luxury items, priced less than the Kaywoodie which was the Cadillac pipe of the era. This has been reported on Forums more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.