PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I saw Dunkirk last night. Nolan is a first rate director, the production values are as high as it gets, the visual effects are about as well interwoven and seamless as one could want. There is much to admire in this film, from the breathtaking views of the Channel, the graceful and deadly choreography of dogfights, the faithful recreation of events at Dunkirk, the naturalism of all of the actors, and more.
Nolan seems to be trying very hard to present an objective portrayal of events, eschewing glamorizing, casting actors who look, and act, like average people. The heroism is never presented with a frame of marquee lights blinking around it. Hans Zimmer's score is more a pulsing cadence than a rousing fanfare, except for one moment when the flotilla of small boats reaches Dunkirk, and even there it is a subdued fanfare, just enough to signal an important change in the sequence of events.
The story is told through the experiences of several different characters, and the film intercuts between their stories to tell the larger story. The central character is the British private who has made it to the beach against all odds, only to find himself trapped on it, there is the story of one civilian who, with his son, sets out on his boat to join in the rescue effort, there are two RAF pilots who sacrifice their ability to return home to continue to harass the Heinkel bombers and Messerschmidt fighters even though their fuel is running out.
But for all my admiration of the film's technical prowess, objective point of view, and celebration of quiet heroism, I felt unmoved by it. It is a chilly film, an onslaught of impersonal and often faceless violence that ceaselessly continues for most of the film's length. Perhaps this is what the soldiers at Dunkirk experienced. There is something matter-of-fact in the way events are portrayed. Perhaps in his decision to avoid being too "Hollywood" about this story, Nolan veered too far the other way. Despite this, I still recommend this film to anyone curious about Dunkirk. It may be a little bloodless as a storytelling, but in many other ways it is a fine and compelling film. 4 out of 5 stars.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks for that, Sablebrush.
I see fewer and fewer movies on the big screen these days, but I've been interested in this one and may allow your review to propel my fat ass out the door to the theater.
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am taking it that this is a film that benefits greatly from the big screen? And thanks for your review, Jesse. I will go see.
A couple of days ago I caught a documentary about the logistics on the receiving end—South East England—and the role the railroads played in getting the masses off the coast and to points North and West. Some 600 trains were mobilized in the operation, quite a feat in itself. Now I am watching the Finney Churchillian impressions in The Gathering Storm.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This one greatly benefits from being seen on the big screen. To get the detail, the film was shot in 70mm, which is rarely done anymore. 4K digital presentation won't give the same level of detail, but see it anyway if a 70mm or IMAX screening isn't available in your area.

I'll also add that it moves along very well, no lagging or filler. The pacing is excellent!

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
I took my father to see it. Worth a watch, but I was really bothered the fact that this movie barely made mention of the 40,000 French troops that protected the retreat and suffered massive losses. I feel they deserve a part of any Dunkirk movie or book.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I saw this last night, and while I admit that Sablebrush's review is spot on, I did not care for the film overall. As a caveat, I will fairly state that I have never been a fan of Christopher Nolan films save for a couple of exceptions. For me, it's a 2 of 5 stars.
I don't think I'm releasing any spoilers - but fair warning - some personal analysis follows:
I found the overlapped time segments confusing at first and moreso when common elements among the slices were presented next to each other (for example, the beached trawler vs. the same sinking trawler). I thought the mentioned British solder became a lot like SNL's Mr. Bill in that just when you think his character vignette might be OK, something happens to reposition him in another part of the story line (Oh no!!!). In the end, the character was nothing more than a needle and thread to stich the time events together, so he was a vehicle for the film and not a protagonist that one develops an affinity for. Frankly, he irritated me.
The movie is historically accurate; but the lack of an enemy in the film reduced the perceived story conflict. Additionally, part of the reason the French troops could repel the German forces is that Hitler twice elected not to press forward with attacks that would have severely weakened the British forces. This tactical decision lead to strategic defeat for Germany, and that was not even presented as a factor for how 400k mostly defenseless troops survived an 8-day evacuation.
Ok - I'm no professional reviewer so I'll stop here and close with: Part of me agrees with Sablebrush's evaluation but the elements I mentioned kept me from enjoying what I hoped would be a riveting story.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My wife and I got to see Dunkirk in 70mm a couple of weeks ago, right when it came out. Jesse, your review was spot on, and I concur with your conclusions. The actual events at Dunkirk were disjointed, cold and irrational. All through the film, I kept dreading the moment when the producers would attempt to squeeze this actuality into a Hollywood template. When they would sexualize the characters, set us up to love and sympathize with them then mow them down. The setups never came, the pimping never happened, and that is what I love about this film. I wasn't spoon-fed pablum, or subjected to romanticized soliloquies just to give the viewer what they expected.
I agree about the omission of the role of the French troops and Hitler's failure to advance on the Allies retreat. But this film isn't a documentary, it's an attempt to emulate the experience from the point of view of the people fighting the war and evacuating the troops.
I give it four out of five bags of popcorn.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm going to wait for the the Bluray release.

3D has ruined everything and the last time I went to see a movie at IMAX it felt like a wasted experience (Star Wars: Rogue One), 3D is no less flawed today than it was 8 years ago.

The new IMAX Laser projectors are still just 4K resolution if they show 3D.

If you can get them to show something in 2D then it'll use the two 4K projectors to increase resolution and they say they're using Super Sampling from a higher quality source so that sounds good. Dual 4K Laser IMAX is probably the first big screen format to outpace the advancement of home theater products: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX
Not that it'll last very long.

8K TV's will be hitting the market before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the Japanese have been planning that event for decades and are fully intent on broadcasting in "Super Hi-Vision" 8K at 120fps, it will probably be treated as a matter of national pride so I expect the format to be well supported by studios under the Sony banner.
I envy people with access to a classic IMAX theater that still uses Film, those should still be the highest quality images available anywhere for quite some time.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
"But this film isn't a documentary, it's an attempt to emulate the experience from the point of view of the people fighting the war and evacuating the troops."
Agree with Dan. This film certainly isn't where you go to learn everything about Dunkirk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Always a problem or challenge with the scale of the image with war movies, whether to have sweeping panoramas of chaos and carnage or to close in on a smaller group and specific characters, or to try to alternate between the two. Eastwood did a uniquely good job with this in "Letters From Iwo Jima," I think. I haven't seen Dunkirk yet. I think I might have stuck with one yacht with occasional glimpses of the larger perspective -- but no one is paying me to make movies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Agree with Jesse and Dan. I liked the jumping timeline. To me that is what took the place of sexy. I thought it was good filmcraft. As to cold, most things British are a good deal cooler than American stuff. And while it didn't specifically call out the French for praise, I found the nod at the end enough. Great film. My wife liked it a lot, too, which is all u can hope for in a war movie.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Just got back from watching Dungkirk. Not a fan of the jumping timeline. Quite honestly is looks like a 30 minute film stretched out to 1 hour 40 minutes. I thought there were some horribly wasted actors and opportunities. Oh well, at least it wasn't a stupid comic book adaptation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just got back from watching Dungkirk.

Tim-
Is that like writing "Dunghill" or a true typo?
Was it 70mm or IMAX? I'd have to drive quite a bit to get to one of those theaters, and wonder if it's worth it. I know it's a plus, just wondering how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.