Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
What a contrast with Royal Yacht, which I was trying earlier! I'm enjoying London Mixture and disliked Royal Yacht. LM is a soft smoke, creamy, rich. RY was sharp and aggressive, almost angry. The pipe is a Peterson 106 Kenmare Billiard. I used a different pipe for the RY. These are first impressions. Nightcap is still my favorite, but I will be getting more London Mixture.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yes it is a fine smoke, Nitecap my favorite, followed by 965, then London Mixture, it is even better aged, Larry Rousch the pipe carver sent me a 12 yr old tin that was very special.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Those blends are night and day. London Mixture (my fav Dunhill blend) is Oriental forward where the others are not. Like Bradley says, aged Dunhill blends are incredible, so IMO jump on the bandwagon and buy up a bunch while it's on sale and cellar that stuff for a while, you won't be sorry.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
London Mixture is my favorite of the Dunhill blends that I've tried. If you like it you should try G.L. Pease Westminster. The first time I tried it I thought of a really nice Dunhill, and I have read the Pease studied London Mixture as a model for Westminster. The cut is coarser than the Dunhill ribbon, but the smoke is very much alike. However, for cellaring, I can't say how they age side-by-side. Perhaps others can attest to that.

Cheers!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like London Mixture quite a bit and am cellaring a few tins. I also like Sutliff's Westminster, which is a pretty good copy of it. The only real difference I could tell between the two is that Westminster is a little less grassy, and a little more Virginia sweeter.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
That's good to know. I find that London Mixture has a pretty present Virginia sweetness to it. It seems really in balance with the rest of the flavors, and seems to hold its own pretty well throughout the bowl. I have only smoked the current incarnation of this blend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was an English smoker, London Mixture was my favorite Dunhill blend. I found it to be softer and sweeter than their other offerings. I also enjoyed their Durbar blend, as that also had a nice does of Orientals in it. I used to find their 965 was just a bit too heavy in the Lataakia department for my tastes. One of my all time English favorites was Two Friends Deacons Downfall, even though it did have a healthy does of Latakia, the Perique in it, softened it up and added sweetness to the flavor. I would highly recommend Deacons to anyone who likes a good English.

Status
Not open for further replies.