Dunhill W/Threaded Stem? (Dunhill 130 F/T Bruyere)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just picked up this long-stemmed Dublin (130 F/T Bruyere) for very modest sum. The stem was positively yellow and the stem didn't fit, but both were easily fixed.
What I didn't expect, though, was the reverse threaded stem (see pics below). I'm familiar with the Vernon Fitment from the 30s or 40s, but I've never encountered anything like this. Also, there's no date code given for the pipe, just "130 F/T" with "Dunhill / Bruyere" on one side, and "Made In / England" "(1)A" on the other.
According to one website, this model was made in 1928, 1950 and 1968. I'm guessing this one is from one of the later two dates, but I'd be greatly appreciative if anyone knows anything about this model or about Dunhill's threaded stems in general. Thanks!
dunhill-130-ft-001-600x400.jpg

dunhill-130-ft-002-600x400.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
That almost looks similar to the Jobey link. Does the threaded part come out of the pipe?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't yanked on it (lol), but it's possible it does. Is there a Jobey/Dunhill connection?

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I can accurately date it if you can get a clear photo of the stampings, pitchfork. I may even be able to send you an information link on the backstory.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I can accurately date it if you can get a clear photo of the stampings, pitchfork. I may even be able to send you an information link on the backstory.
Thanks, roadqueen. It will be later, tonight, but I'll post some photos of the stampings.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, here's a pic of the stampings. Now a confession -- turns out there is a date code. It's a "9." And to my eyes, it just looked like the D in "ENGLAND." I hadn't even noticed the number until I went to take a closeup. So I think that means it's from 1969. But I still haven't found out anything about the threaded stem.
dunhill-130-ft-600x400.jpg

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
Well, you have me stumped as well! It is certainly a 1969, but I have found no mention anywhere of a threaded Dunhill.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for confirming the date, roadqueen. I can't find anything about the threaded stem, but it appears to be original as it fits almost perfectly.
It happens I bought the pipe from a seller in Japan -- did Dunhill use different stems for export to Japan? A real mystery.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a mystery. I would think perhaps it was a repair? But, I've never seen a threaded repair tenon either. The Japanese connection could be the answer? I'll stay tuned for a Dunhill expert to chime in. That is a great shape too!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It happens I bought the pipe from a seller in Japan -- did Dunhill use different stems for export to Japan? A real mystery.
Very interesting pipe and mystery - where's Huckle when you need him (if you have kids, you'll get that remark)!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Al. I considered the possibility of a repair, except for the trouble and expense it would have taken to repair the original with such precision. I wouldn't rule out a repair at this point, however.
Hopefully this bump will catch the eye of a Dunhill expert.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Sam. It well could be a replacement tenon, although it looks different from the one Steve Laug pointed to. I'll try yanking on it, maybe. :mrgreen:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Ironically, my Dunhill 130 F/T has a replacement stem. It is not a screw on though. It is the standard mounting. I didn't realize it was a replacement stem until someone pointed out the the white spot is slightly larger than it should be.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm away from home for the moment and haven't had a chance to yank on my Dunhill stem, but I came across this 1934 Dunhill with a threaded stem very similar to mine (albeit made of metal, not vulcanite).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1934-U-S-PATENTS-DUNHILLS-SHELL-BENT-POKER/360687515217
$T2eC16RHJI!E9qSO8m0zBR0Jztwe8Q~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJDkFG1!v9g9bBR0Jznwi8w~~60_3.JPG

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It looks like you should be able to thread the stem back on and then pull the whole tenon out..but don't do that on my advice!
Thanks again, Sam. I've been away from home (and the Dunhill) for a few weeks, but I just got back. After a few trips to the freezer and a little Evan Williams (for the pipe, I mean), the tenon did indeed come loose and it's clearly a replacement tenon, as suspected. A little epoxy should secure it in place.
Many thanks, again, for all who chimed in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.