PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

Again I come to you seeking your sage advice and wisdom. I recent came across the estate SP billiard below, a Dunhill 252 Shell billiard listed with the following numbers: (164) (4) (S) (1966). I asume the later to be the year of production. At the same time I wanted to unload a very nice Kapp Royal Prince, and thought I might offer this in partial trade. I sent this pipe today and hope to hear of the assessed pipe's value soon, possible to use for trade for the Dunhill, which is listed at about $270. Now, my guess is probably over-optimistic for the Kapp Royal, but in combination with the trade, the Dunhill is still probably cost me two hundred. My question: is it worth the price? What are you thoughts and assessments? I always wanted to own a Dunhill Shell, and will the price is painful, strikes me as worth it. What do you think? Much thanks.

004-002-10596.jpg

May 4, 2015
This is a very appropriate time for the clichéd response: If it's worth it to you, it's worth it.
Pipes of this quality retail for amounts well into realm of "diminishing returns" in my opinion. If you've always wanted a Dunhill Shell and you have an opportunity to get one - go for it.
Worth it to me? Not even close, never ever ever. Worth it to you? Sounds like it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy, don't own one. But from encountering the brand continually, and noting the prices, I'd say this is about market price. You have to love and need a Dunhill to spend the "branding tax," but many feel it's worth it. foggymountain, our senior Dunhill Forums member in residence, doesn't recommend the Shells, if I remember correctly, but he may just not like the recent or current ones. This is a very pretty pipe, has that elegant restraint and vibrant traditional look that sells Dunnies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I own several Dunhills, never paid more than around $200 for one though. I particularly like the Cumberlands. I also like small pipes, 2's or 3's, as I prefer a shorter smoke as a rule. All of mine are great smokers, but not greater than any other decent briars I own including a few basket pipes. I really don't care about things like straight grain, just proper drilling and little to no fills. I definitely wouldn't spend what they want for new Dunhills these days. YMMV.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I own two (a 3 and a 4) that I really like, and couldn't really tell you why.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you really want a Shell, have you looked at Al Pascia? You can get a new group 3 Shell for about the same price. A new group 4 would be just a bit more than this one.
Smoking Pipes do a great job of refurbishing and cleaning, but the one you're looking at has a very worn button, if that matters to you.
Unless you have your heart set on this shape or this year, you can find similar pipes on ebay for much less.
Overall, I highly recommend Dunhills, especially if you've got a hankering to try one. If it turns out you don't like it, you can always sell it for about as much as you paid.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
So far I'm leaning toward it; depends on what the other pipe fetches. I always liked the Shell Dunhill, and $200 is almost exactly the amount I'd pay for it. Damn. I hope they smoke as well as legend would have it. On top of that, it is a shapely pipe. Not too concerned about nomenclature, which wear's out in most pipes in due corrse.If only it were about fifty lower... but then I have to wait of the Kapp Royal, which, btw, I got from Al Pacsia. But I do have my heart set on exactly this shape and style of piple, even to the point of restaining it to restore the black. Nate, you'll be the death of me. Let see what everyone else has to say...

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'll second pitchfork's comments on this one.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You'll get the standard mishmash of those who see them as overpriced crap, a few who like them but see them as overpriced for what they are, and the Dunhill fans. I've spent as much as 2k for a pipe and a whole lot less for others. I original collected Dunhills exclusively. I then went to the artisans and other odds and ends. I've since returned to Dunhill. I love their pipes. Do they somehow make smoke taste better? Nope. We all like what we like. There ain't no accounting for taste. I'd never knock any line of pipes someone else likes. We like what we like without rhyme or reason. Anyone who claims any different... or sees what they like as being superior to anyone else's likes, ignore them ;)
That said, if the monicker doesn't excite you, don't buy them :)

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
According to such folks as Bill Ashton and Marty Pulvers Dunhills were still "handmade" by one man one pipe at a time until 1968.
For whatever that's worth

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Long time Peterson fan, I feel guilty considering this Dunhill.
Fck Peterson! If they gave a sh!t about you they wouldn't dip-stain pipes or drill while drunk. Buy want you like!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I take it you're not fond of Peterson...My collection is virtually all Petersons and Nordings. But I'll only get one Dunhill unless I hit the lotto. You couldn't get me to sell the Drac 107s for less that $500--and I've got quite a few of them.
Still, with a Dunhill in my mouth, I bet I'd look like that famous photo of my favorite author, J.R.R. Tolkien.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sparrow- I'll second what Pitch said.......... You might, with patience, be able to score the same pipe on ebay, a bit cheaper, but it won't be ready to smoke. Most likely it will need a thorough clean, if and when you find it. 200 quid is fair for this one. I have the 252 shape, 1965 shell.........great classic billiard and a wonderful smoke. GO FOR IT!.... :puffy:

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
If I WAS going to buy a Dunhill, the only place I'd buy one would be from Shae Hemingway on Etsy. He's a master restorer that I've purchased from many times. Any work he does is going to get pipes to truly good-as-new condition. He's always got at least few Dunhills in stock: http://vintagepipes.etsy.com
With that said, from what I observe and hear from friends, when you buy a Dunhill you're buying a name. For the most part they just smoke like any other briar that probably cost a lot less. My personal cutoff for price reasonability is $100 in most cases, and $150 in cases of extremely potent lust.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Buy what you like and like what you buy!
I have a few Dunny bling pipes— spigots to be clear. One around $200, the other at $300. For a retired guy with moderate life style, well worth it. They smoke just fine, I keep 'em no less or no more carefully than other pipes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If I WAS going to buy a Dunhill, the only place I'd buy one would be from Shae Hemingway on Etsy. He's a master restorer that I've purchased from many times. Any work he does is going to get pipes to truly good-as-new condition. He's always got at least few Dunhills in stock: http://vintagepipes.etsy.com
Wow. Some great prices on Dunhills there.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Last hypothetical question: if the pipe were, say, 35-50 dollars lower, would that change your thoughts about the pipe's value?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Ok, I just looked at all the pictures. My impressions; nice sandblast, there is some color variation to the bowl, but one can expect that after 50 years of use and handling. The tooth marks on the stem to me are a little bit of a turn off in regard to condition, but on the flip side give a bit of wiggle room to haggle. The big plus side is you know the seller is going to stand by the product, and accept a return if you are not happy with the pipe in hand.
The etsy shop, read the descriptions, and look at the pictures carefully. Here is another 252, notice more wear to the blast, and what appears to be a very distinct notch in the stem on the left hand sided at the button, with also a noticeable thinning (work done) in the bite area.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/277678086/1969-dunhill-shell-briar-252-ft-estate?ref=shop_home_active_24

Status
Not open for further replies.