Pipes Magazine » Tobacco Legislation

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Dunhill Tobaccos Discontinued (At Least In The Netherlands And Perhaps Elsewhere

(75 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by arno665
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

This morning I heard some disturbing news, in The Netherlands the Dunhill tobaccos are being discontinued. So I phoned some people who probably knew a bit more. As you probably know BAT owns the rights (licenses/recipes) for the Dunhill tobacco and Orlik makes them. Because of the new European TPD2 legislation/guidelines the artwork for the tins has to be changed, nasty pictures and so have to be put on and so on. BAT is not prepared to this because of the extra costs, they don't care about pipe-tobacco so much any more. So as far as I heard they withdrew their license and Orlik can't make the tobacco any more. What I don't know if this only goes for The Netherlands or also for other European countries or even the USA (although they don't have the TPD2 legislation, they have other (FDA) problems..). It would be great if someone knew more about this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh crap.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What would be great, if the human condition wasn't to be bound in chains and so unwilling to fight Government. To many Marxist in the world. Oh well, what are we going to do when they outlaw taking a crap in your own home? It will not stop at tobacco and guns.

Frankly it's a blow to all of us free minded individuals if one single country or business is harmed by these Draconian Laws. Long live the Individual, down with the mob.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jmagen

Login to Send PM

Here, here, Perdurabo. It would also be refreshing for the knobs in gov't to learn how ineffective all these warning stickers and logos have been. There surely has been a decline in favor for tobacco, but I for one doubt it's been caused by legislation.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunhill is nothing if not image conscious. Well, that and profit driven. I'll miss two particular blends wearing the Dunhill marque. But, there are others which will fill the void. Not much different than the coming and going of certain automobiles, Spaghetti Os, Colt, glaciers, presidents, the circus, the passenger pigeon, etc.

If true, I'll thoroughly enjoy the hunt for a couple of replacement blends. So, a bit of disruption to my routine, an adjustment and... it's all good again. I'm damned if I'm going to get all exorcised over the possibility/reality of Dunhill removing their product from the shelves. I can't change the situation so there's no point even giving it much thought. I've got other issues I can address to handle.

Those of you who will experience a huge upheaval in their lives have my sympathies however.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Netherlands has seen itself as wide open and free wheeling since the end of World War II, if not before, so this is an especially odd turn. Brown cafes which offer pot have been tolerated. Street performers who are nearly nude. Tobacco has been a cultural institution going back into history. I wonder how the Dunhill issue relates to the pipe tobacco market in general? A friends' daughter and her partner are going to Amsterdam for a year on an arts grant, so maybe they can report back on what cultural shifts are afoot.

Dutchsmoker, are you in The Netherlands or only from there? Maybe you are the direct source.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, cause Pot cures the cancer caused by cigarette smoke to lungs and mouth. thats the backwards world we live in now MSO.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

I could well believe this, Orlik stopped importing Golden Sliced into the UK as it needed to change the artwork to comply with British regs and it was too costly. The problem is if this is at the European level then it'll be the end of Dunhill blends in Europe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, a bit of disruption to my routine, an adjustment and... it's all good again.
    Warren, yep...... just a little "adjustment", and then another one........ then another little "adjustment". Pretty soon they will have you "adjusted" to just what they want you to be, but its all good.............

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco manufacturers and distributors not only must comply with the overall TPD regulations, but also with the packaging requirements of each individual member state. So that's 26 or 27 separate package versions for each blend?

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shrugs...Change is the only constant. If pipe tobacco is my biggest concern, then I am living a smooth life. I understand the bigger picture, but to my mind there are many larger concerns.

Check out the first 12 Dow Jones companies. Sugar, Leather, and yes Tobacco.

Time and society marches on. Get on the train, or at least off the track.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have that much adjusting time left. Tobacco use is a selfish decision I made many years ago. If tobacco use were to be deemed illegal tomorrow, little would change in my life other than a growth spurt in the amount of disposable monies available. I'm pretty sure I could find another vice to satisfy the wee rebel in my personality. Tobacco isn't very high on my list of important subjects. Sure I enjoy it. I'd even find the adjustment to not having access to it a bit discombobulating for a few days. Tobacco isn't going anywhere in my lifetime so why worry. And, the last thing I'd want my grandson to do is waste moneys smoking. If he elects to do so well, good on him for being a bit self-serving, a bit stupid. So, the future of tobacco holds little interest for me. I pick my battles carefully, my energy level isn't what it used to be, I hoard it, use it sparingly where it might do some good.

I've said before, the choice to smoke or not is a personal decision and selfish. Nothing wrong with that. My decision to smoke was and is a very hedonistic one. So, that being true for me, I really care little about the tobacco needs of others or the state of tobacco legislation except as it impacts me. And, that folks, is a very selfish decision on my part and not out of step with my decision to smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing wrong with your selfishness Warren, just so happens we share the same selfishness. There's plenty of snake oil to relish my selfishness on, I just prefer pipe tobacco. I don't smoke a lot of Dunhill, Royal Yacht is the extent of my Dunhill habit. I have a nice cellar, my children will inhereit the majority of it, guess they will have plenty to sell to those seeking a once upon a time luxury.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

The Netherlands has seen itself as wide open and free wheeling since the end of World War II, if not before, so this is an especially odd turn. Brown cafes which offer pot have been tolerated. Street performers who are nearly nude. Tobacco has been a cultural institution going back into history. I wonder how the Dunhill issue relates to the pipe tobacco market in general? A friends' daughter and her partner are going to Amsterdam for a year on an arts grant, so maybe they can report back on what cultural shifts are afoot.

Dutchsmoker, are you in The Netherlands or only from there? Maybe you are the direct source.

The Netherlands are a bit strange.. I can go into a coffee-shop (read: pot-shop) and smoke a joint there. But I CAN'T smoke tobacco there! A friend of mine once wanted a joint when we were in Amsterdam. So we entered a coffee-shop, he got a joint, I don't do that so I lit up a pipe. A pretty pissed off manager told me that tobacco smoking was forbidden inside.. Almost asked him what he would do if I filled up my pipe with pot..
    But yes, a long time ago The Netherlands were a tobacco minded country. Nowadays almost nothing is left of that.. Some of the highest tobacco prices in Europe and a rapidly growing anti-smoking mentality. Tell your friends' daughter and her partner to also visit the East of The Netherlands (where I live). Much more relaxed! Amsterdam is sooo busy.. So yes, I am in the Netherlands Sadly I am no direct source, I don't work for BAT or Orlik (STG)..

I could well believe this, Orlik stopped importing Golden Sliced into the UK as it needed to change the artwork to comply with British regs and it was too costly. The problem is if this is at the European level then it'll be the end of Dunhill blends in Europe.

Precisely! I knew they did that with several blends so I am not optimistic to say the least..

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Arno, thank you so much for checking in here with important news. This is the bloody edge, and it WILL keep moving.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone thought I was nuts for buying the hell out of a few things they make that I like. If it all goes to hell, this won't be the first time Dunhill blends disappeared from my subjective reality.

Dunhill is nothing if not image conscious.

How's this for image ... shame on them for their cowardice. I like the stuff they make, but I can't help but be miffed at a company who gives up on a customer base just because things get a little hard.

I found shit to fill the Dunhill void before, and I guess I'll do it again, if this becomes more widespread.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is all OK as you don't mind others deciding what is good for your personal intake to your own body.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Netherlands are a bit strange.

No kidding they only outlawed bestiality in 2010, and then I think it's still legal to have sex with animals as long as the animal is not hurt.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

..so long as the animal is not hurt. .

What, like when you say you'll bring it to a rom com and don't hold its hoof,paw,tentacle all the way through the film?

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a tough blow to Netherlands smokers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

That is a tough blow to Netherlands smokers.

It is, also because most of the STG tobaccos also vanish from our shelves or have already gone. So no more Skandinavik, WO Larsen, Alsbo, Orlik, Sweet Dublin, Indian Summer, Nappa Valley, Stanwell, Half and Half, Dankse Club, Kentucky Bird, Neptune, Zephyr and Schippers baai.. Also because of the same reason, the new TPD2 guidelines and not willing to make the costs of re-making the tin labels..

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The cost of remaking labels? That's the 'reason'?

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Sad news, I enjoy some of their blends, mostly EMP. I hope I can get them from the States though. Otherwise, my life is not going to change that much. Still sad news as I said.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This might be really bad news for Al and Bradley...Al pretty much sticks with 965 and Brad pretty much sticks with Nightcap if I remember correctly. Stock the cellars deep gentlemen!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just bought 5 lbs at P&C, had emailed SP and asked if they could match the price, SP was 37$ higher, no they said, wonder why the big difference. Got 10 lbs, don't believe I have that much smoking left in me.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea, I'm sure pedophillia is still legal over there but I can't fuck my cat, on vacation, in the Netherlands. Arno can't smoke a pipe of tobacco but has to inhale dangerous schizophrenic Cannibiod tars. I mean I know Dunhill is the main topic here, but damn they make it so fun to blast their Progressive Ideals.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

arno', I got out in the countryside and to the smaller port of Horn, beautiful country. Amsterdam spoils tourists because everyone speaks multiple languages, English almost universally. Whereas outside the big city, not so much. Just watch out for the street cars and especially the bicyclists who definitely command the right-of-way. The best part of Amsterdam is that dogs are everywhere. My wife had to see a doctor, and he had a dog under the examining table who sauntered out to meet us. They're on the street cars and in bicycle baskets and in many shops. The cats, on the other hand, are huge and aloof. I'm used to cats who'll come over and greet me. Those big canal house cats want nothing to do with strangers, which is probably intelligent. They've been dealing with wharf rats and won't take any lip.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

philobeddoe
    Preferred Member
    This might be really bad news for Al and Bradley...Al pretty much sticks with 965 and Brad pretty much sticks with Nightcap

Yeah, that's an understatement, 99.9% of what I smoke is 965. I have about 200 tins, but I better redouble my efforts. I'm driving by CI shortly, will stop. I bought five tins there on Tuesday, now more. I appreciate the heads up.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sounds like the EU Regs areas bad as anything happening here. It's not that the blends can't be sold, it's that BAT doesn't give a shit. Buy it while you can. Damn glad that I stocked up on Motzek Strang, HU blends, etc because those are becoming unavailable.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

31. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This regulatory world is beginning to seriously piss me off!

I have been smoking Dunhill tobacco since dirt. Not all the time, mind you, since I am a fellow who appreciates variety. But, I really like 965, EMP, the old London Mixture.

And now it appears the end is in sight! Damn, why can't we just all get along?

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

This regulatory world is beginning to seriously piss me off!

Me too, I lost one of my favourite smokes last year to regs and if the Dunhill blends go then I lose my favourite VaPer too.

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was saying this is the golden age of pipe tobacco and now it all looking doom and gloom.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are three very sound reasons to stock up, even if you disregard opinions about aging:
    (1) price increases, almost baked in the cake due to cost of compliance with FDA rules, in addition to the states and feds insatiable desire for revenue;
    (2) the strong possibility of interstate sales bans, the likelihood only increased by RYO products masquerading as pipe tobacco (This is seen as a real problem by the state level bureucrats who benefit from the revenues they get from the cigarette Master Settlement Agreement;
    (3) Decisions by large conglomerates to leave the business because of the increasing regulatory burden for a declining market, as here, which will also have an impact on smaller participants, many (most?) of whom buy their ingredients from larger players (pipe tobacco has pretty much always been a factory product)

All that said,I would take this thread with a grain of salt as far as the US presence of Dunhill is concerned. They are quite capable of making different decisions about different markets. It may well be the case that, say, five years from now you can find Dunhill on the shelf and not McClelland or C&D. To the extent I feel the need to stock up(age and health are a factor), I am trying to diversify.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This was posted in another forum this morning, the release (?) is dated 1/17:
    http://halfwheel.com/dunhill-plans-exit-cigar-pipe-business

I don't find this release anywhere else on the web.

One of the most storied names in the world of cigars and pipes is going away.

Tobacco giant British American Tobacco is planning to no longer offer Dunhill cigars and pipe tobaccos.

“British American Tobacco (BAT) has informed us of their intention to exit the handmade cigar and pipe tobacco business for the Dunhill brands, said Régis Broersma, president of General Cigar Co., which makes Dunhill cigars and distributes them in the U.S.

“As this process will take approximately 12-18 months to complete, it will be business as usual; therefore, there will be no change to the way in which we manufacture, market and sell the Dunhill items in our portfolio in the near future. We are currently in talks with BAT to discuss the future of the brand.”

British American Tobacco has no plans to stop selling Dunhill tobacco products. Dunhill cigarettes remain a core part of the company’s premium offerings. BAT’s Dunhill business is different from the company’s luxury goods and accessories which is owned by the luxury group Richemont.

Earlier this week, British American Tobacco announced that it will merge with Reynolds American, creating the largest publicly-traded tobacco company in the world.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

From the same web source:
    http://halfwheel.com/british-american-tobacco-completes-reynolds-american-takeover/139091

halfwheel
    british-american-tobacco-reynolds-american
    News
    British American Tobacco Completes Reynolds American Takeover
    By Charlie Minato @charlieminato · On January 18, 2017
    Null

British American Tobacco and Reynolds American have agreed to a merger that will see British American Tobacco purchase the 57.8 percent of Reynolds American that it does not own for $49 billion. If approved by shareholders and regulators, it will create the largest publicly-traded tobacco company.

The deal has little implications for the cigar industry, though British American Tobacco does own the Dunhill brand, which has premium cigars as well as cigarettes. Reynolds American has no premium cigar presence.

It does represent the latest in a fury of mergers and acquisitions in the larger tobacco industry and could speed up a rumored merger and takeover of Imperial Brands, plc by Japan Tobacco International.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far this sounds like a corporate fandango in which information is no information. The brand and/or the product have a considerable value, and I think it will either be sustained by the owner or sold to someone who will either use the Dunhill brand or make it clear that the name has changed to something else. The current "information" just sounds like a fan dance. Maybe it's useful to corporate insiders and brokers, but not to Dunhill blend smokers. I'd say, stay tuned.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

This is just conjecture on my part, but I suspect that part of the reason that BAT is making this decision is profitability. The Dunhill cigarettes are profitable for them because BAT actually makes them. The cigars are made for BAT by General Cigar, and the pipe tobaccos are made by Orlik. My guess is that because they don't control production directly, their profit margins either have to be a little slim, or they'd have to price the products much higher to make enough to make it worth the effort.

Russ

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Russ, your conjecture sounds like the actual truth and makes actual sense. Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

+1

The goal of a business is to make profits and when a product isn't sufficiently profitable, the product is discontinued.

While the disappearance of Dunhill tobaccos won't affect me, I will be sorry to see them go, if indeed they are going, because so many others enjoy them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1

As stated, it is all about the investors, the risk takers. They take the risk and we enjoy, not in sufficient numbers it appears in this case, the end result of their investment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Brand Manager, Lane Limited

Login to Send PM

Hi All:
    I'll post a response from STG Lane (importer)in a separate thread.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome!! A horse's mouth post!!!

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

In the last few days I have come to the conclusion that if all blends disappeared except SToP Warhorse RR, I would survive just fine.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

So, regardless of the reason, going, going, gone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To Arno665, startled to learn this about Holland,but I can't believe this comes true so many blends vanishing off market,there are many traditional pipetobaccos available in Netherlands,Baai types,Semois,Schipper special,and on,In my opinion this aforementionend brand killing final operation can't become true,and How about Deutschland?out There are thousands of various blends available,nevertheless,yet I must confess the last time I saw my beloved Hollad Ryo Tobacco Van Nelle Zwaar(smoked it primarly those 20 year before switching to pipes)I was horrified with the level on how the arts on the package-surface was brutally destroyed-unbelievable

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  46. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BAT is not prepared to this because of the extra costs, they don't care about pipe-tobacco so much any more.

So this is not the US FDA... I feel warmer inside.

Still, I am cold, so cold... without hope. The world is grower darker, greyer, and all I can see is the eye of Sauron, looking over us with a lust for control.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  47. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...all I can see is the eye of Sauron, looking over us with a lust for control.

True.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 2 years ago #
  48. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tolkien was more prescient than most give him credit for being. Hubris leads us to a lust for power and control beyond our stations. And from that, many evils come... including loss of Royal Yacht.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Tolkien was more prescient than most give him credit for being. Hubris leads us to a lust for power and control beyond our stations. And from that, many evils come... including loss of Royal Yacht.

Take heart. There will always be Middleton's Cherry.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Take heart. There will always be Middleton's Cherry."

Not by the tub though.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering any discontinued original, isn't there always the "match" versions still available? I always bought bulk in 965/Nightcap/Early Morning anyway

Jason
    Posted 2 years ago #
  52. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These's always Penzance.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Considering any discontinued original, isn't there always the "match" versions still available?"

Did the match exist prior to the deeming date?

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good question.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Among many older blends, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue was introduced in the fifties, I believe, as a number of their blends go well back in time. The downside is that IR charges sales tax and has a postal minimum of about ten bucks, which jacks up the price of many orders, but theirs is still a good array of time-tested and interesting blends, especially if you are a moderate smoker who doesn't need a monthly supply. They were one of the early retailers to include burley in their more sophisticated blends, sort of an early-acceptor on burley before Cornell & Diehl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the matches came about when Dunhill pulled out of the US in 2009 - 2010. So...

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. jamespworth

NorwichBriarBro

Login to Send PM

Probably as similar situation to here in the UK with regards to packaging we already have huge warnings and pictures on the back of the tins. I am lucky to get the vast majority of my tins from the US without the warnings however I don't expect that to last forever.

I will certainly miss my mixture 965 and nightcap however I'm sure I will find something else.

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There will always be Middleton's Cherry.

Regulation always gives the big sellers what they want: essentially a monopoly.

People forget there are many ways to achieve a goal, and the one that seems easiest is often the worst...

Going to go stock up on Prince Albert I suppose.

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

Any news about this? I just checked on the skandinavian tobacco group webside who manufactures the Dunhill blends. There's a contact page where you can ask them questions. But you have a scroll down menu where you must choose the brand. Dunhill is not (no longer?) on the list....

Thomas
    Posted 2 years ago #
  60. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

Any news about this? I just checked on the skandinavian tobacco group webside who manufactures the Dunhill blends. There's a contact page where you can ask them questions. But you have a scroll down menu where you must choose the brand. Dunhill is not (no longer?) on the list....

According to this thread it's happening stateside as well. It's a shame to see Dunhill going. I might have to stock up, but my dosh reserves aren't what they should be.

Now, I've noticed a tendency for this forum to get rather silly.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  61. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

As BAT stated that they were going out of the cigar and pipe tobacco business, and since they own the Dunhill branded blends, the result seems pretty clear. It's all going away, EVERYWHERE. No more. Nada. Finito. Done. Cancelled. Discontinued. Expired. Terminated. Deceased. Passed on. Croaked out. Sleeping with the fishes. Exterminated. Extinct.

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse-

To be clear, do you mean Dunhill is folding its tent as far as pipe tobacco goes??

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  63. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not surprised you do not see Dunhill on the list of STG brands. The brand is owned by BAT, STG just makes the stuff.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 years ago #
  64. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To be clear, do you mean Dunhill is folding its tent as far as pipe tobacco goes??

I didn't get that impression.

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Jesse-

I wouldn't want to be seen as taking a definitive position with regard to this matter of tents, so I will merely say that the question is in committee.

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess the Dunhill license holders are handing over this revenue stream to those who do match blends, especially anyone lucky enough to introduce their match blends before 2007 and keep them on sale. It's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone good. The whole pipe world will churn for a decade on this and other changes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The whole pipe world will churn for a decade on this and other changes.

That's a gross understatement.

If the FDA rules go ahead as scheduled, and the government's enforcement powers continue unchecked, this will be the beginning of the end for the pipe tobacco business. The cost and complexity of doing business under these regulations will limit the field to all but the largest tobacco companies. At the same time, the regulation's forced elimination of so many established brands, and the ban on new products will mean that the consumer base will shrink, sales will drop and industry players will exit the field (as we are seeing with Dunhill). The pipe tobacco business (and the cigar business) can only grow through introduction of new products. Once the novelty of new prodct is gone, there is no future. Sure, a lot of us will hang on, smoking our cellars and telling tales of the good old days, but you won't see many new folks taking up pipe smoking.

Where this ultimately ends, I can't say for certain, but the pipe world as we know it will end on 8-8-18.

TEOTPWAWKI.

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

TEOTPWAWKI.

Me no understand, kemosabe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

framitz

Login to Send PM

Jesse I think te end of the pipe world as we know its Shel. I am to old to care I will just smoke away as a mere ash of myself

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Jesse I think te end of the pipe world as we know its Shel. I am to old to care I will just smoke away as a mere ash of myself

That makes perfect sense, thank you. I guess old pipe smokers never fade. They just drift away.

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   birdnerd75, codecreatively, lawayna