PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
Let me start out by pointing out again that I am a fairly new pipe smoker, so if this question has already been discussed and explained, please excuse me for asking again.
I have just recently seen discussion (YouTube) about Dunhill pipe tobacco being pulled from the USA market in 2018. Is this true? Should everyone be buying reserves of the Dunhill tobacco they enjoy now in 2017? I am just not sure how much of what the people on YouTube were saying is true or just speculation.
Thank you in advance,
Justdafacts

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The answers are here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-is-with-all-the-links-to-threads-instead-of-answers

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dunhill's importer, Lane, sent out an announcement that Dunhill branded tobaccos would be exiting the US market sometime in 2018. They're also reported to be leaving other markets. I suspect that the products will be completely discontinued. They weren't huge sellers and given all of the differing regulations worldwide, BAT made a decision to pull the pipe tobaccos while continuing to sell Dunhill coffin nails, which are very profitable.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
bigpond beat me to it. Lol. There's a thread somewhere about this, but it seems that it will all be gone. Some are holding out hope that some tobacco house will buy the brand and continue. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Since Dunhill neither manufactures pipe tobacco nor controls the formulations of the eponymous blends, I would expect that the Dunhill pipe tobaccos will continue to be available, but without the cache of the Dunhill name.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
bigpond beat me to it. Lol. There's a thread somewhere about this, but it seems that it will all be gone. Some are holding out hope that some tobacco house will buy the brand and continue. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
Given Dunhill's desire to distance itself from tobacco, I doubt that the brand name will be licensed or sold. The blends might show up under other names. But given the FDA rules here in the US, they couldn't be marketed. So for all intents and purposes, when they're gone, they're gone.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
But given the FDA rules here in the US, they couldn't be marketed.
Actually, Sable, with the exemption that was made for changing packaging, it's been suggested that, as long as the tobaccos are predicate blends, they can be sold under another name.
Russ

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Just got used to Royal Yacht,Nightcap and Elizabethan mixture,Dunhill are the only brand i have tried and like.I have no idea what i am going to smoke when they are gone.

Idea's on a postcard please,remember i am in the UK and don't have access to some of the wonderful blends you guys have in the States.
Wiz

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just stock up on Nightcap like me! (5 tins)
but there are still an infinate number of blends Out there to try. I am like you Wiz, I've only ever tried Dunhill blends. Now is the time to experiment with finding something else you like as well

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
I had heard that some of the Raffertys blends are similar like Hal o the wind, sure i read it on this forum but can't be sure,i am wanting to try new things and things with a bit of a Nicotine hit as i am still craving my roll ups.
Wiz

Status
Not open for further replies.