Dunhill Tobacco Matches at Payless Pipes

(38 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mikephillips
  • Latest reply from jgriff
  1. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found a place online (paylesspipes) that has bulk tobaccos they claim are a match for Dunhill blends. Has anybody tried these? I'm particularly interested in the royal yacht and nightcap matches.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I don't know, but having that big-a$$ Dunhill logo on the same web page, if those are not actual Dunhill blends, is a bit gauche, IMO.

You might want to call Payless and ask who makes them?

Payless may also have one ounce samples -- can't hurt to ask.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Roth. I'd intended to call tomorrow and see if they could send me a small sample to try, but wanted to see if anyone here had taken these for a test drive. If the royal yacht is pretty close, I see a new all-day smoke on the horizon for myself. Really enjoyed the stuff but smoked mostly 3yr matured instead (liked it almost as much as royal yacht) because I could get it in bulk...for about $17.50 a pound (sure miss those days).

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yep, sure worth a try -- at these prices, for a whole pound -- might be a home run, eh?

If you get a sample of them, please do let us know what you think!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Please tell them about the free promotion they are getting on PipesMagazine.com too, and that they should consider advertising.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. beewrangler2

beewrangler2

Login to Send PM

NOW, thats some funny stuff right there, as much as the Rad Davis name is freely thrown around this place.

Professional Bee Handler, If you see me running, you should follow.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did buy a bulk EMP from a noted dealer, though not Payless, though virtually everyone advertises it. I found the taste to be pleasant, but the only resemblance to the Dunhill version was the name.

Eric
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of our sponsors sells matches to Dunhill blends. I am pretty sure they are all made by Altadis and are sold in quit a few places. I have not tried any of these so I can not say anything about how close the are, but the links are below.

Nightcap Match
    London Mixture Match
    Elizabethan Match
    Early Morning Pipe Match
    Standard Mixture Match

Glenn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow did I misunderstand this post lol. I thought it was for matches for lighting Dunhill tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dialed their number and spoke to a guy (dunno who, didn't bother giving his name) who seemed a little reluctant to talk, but did tell me their Dunhill matches were from Denmark. I asked him about samples and he said they all came in 50 gram tins, though when I mentioned the bulks on their site he told me "sure, if you place an order I'll send you a sample". He seemed like he was already a little annoyed over having to talk on the phone, so rather than trying to explain that if I were to place an order I wouldn't need a sample, as I would be buying at least a couple pounds of it, I just thanked him and said goodbye. So looks like I'll need to find something I want from there so I can give the RY a go. Oh, looks like they have St. James flake in bulk, too.

Wasn't my intent to give the place a free advertising ride, of course.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

If I were you Mike, I would go with the real thing and pay the cash to make sure you get what you want.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunhill MM965 is one of my favorites and I tried some MM 965 match blend from Pipes&Cigars. While it wasn't an exact match for Dunhill MM965, it was very good. I'd say get an ounce or two of your match favorites and try them.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm still wondering if they sell it by the ounce (did you ask?) and if it's the same "match" P&C is selling by the ounce.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

for about $17.50 a pound

I guess I'm missing something , the site says like $52 a pound???

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I'm smoking a couple ozs. of Altadis Dunhill-match Elizabethan. Pretty good VaPer, but I don't know how close it is to the original.
    It has a refreshing woody taste -- maybe like fresh cedar or mahogany. Reminds me of Pease's Cumberland.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm missing something , the site says like $52 a pound???

I meant that's what I used to pay for it when I started buying it in bulk...this was back in the 90's. Dunhill's 3 year matured and nightcap both were under $20 a pound. I'd usually buy a couple of pounds of 3 year matured, a pound of nightcap, half a dozen tins of Charatan's English mixture, a couple of tins of Royal Yacht and pick out a basket pipe, and not quite kill a $100 bill and easily do me for a couple of months.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It won't be long before we wax poetic about "the good old days" when Dunhill Nightcap was under $10 a tin -- soon, it'll be $25 a tin and harder to find, even on the internet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is supposedly a line of Dunhill matches in Canada that was launched to fill the void after their discontinuation but before Orlik took over the blending...

I believe it is called Mr. B's - I have heard that they are produced by Solani in Germany and they are available in tins, but I am not sure if they've made it down to the United States.

They have a Nightcap, EMP, Elizabethan, Royal Yacht, and Flake matches tbut they are renamed/redesigned to differ slightly from the originals.

They are listed under the Brigham blends at TR.com - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&BID=229

I would prefer the real thing, honestly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike:

During an internet search I ran across a similar place out in Arizona. When I was told the advertised blends were of their own manufacture I informed them that I thought their advertising was very misleading - even deceptive.

The guy on the phone brought out the soft soap and offered to send me some "on the house" samples. Whore that I am I accepted. Several days later three generous baggies of their Dunhill knockoffs arrived and they were all, to a fault, pleasant examples of Balkan blends. But, like Ravkesef commented, "...the only resemblance to the Dunhill version was the name."

We got what we pay for, right? And anything that seems too good to be true is probably a lie, yes? So, on that note, I'll just keep buying those blue tins of Nightcap and be thankful for what I receive in return.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me, matches should be reserved for discontinued blends.

I know Dunhill and Murray are dead, but long live Orlik, I say...

They will undoubtedly be better than any copycats out there.

(Elizabethan and the other discontinued blends are fair game, but will you be getting a fair approximation of the old blend? Most likely not...)

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would prefer the real thing, honestly.

I would too, but I limit myself in what I spend on tobacco. I'll smoke maybe a dozen bowls a day, sometimes more, which kills a 50 gram tin of Royal Yacht in a couple of days, and I simply will not spend well over $100 a month on my primary smoke. That's why I buy in bulk when I can. My all-day smoke(s) right now are SG's brown and black twists (mostly the brown, it's easier on the bystanders) which can be had for $63 for 500 grams, that would amount to about $6.30 per 50 gram tin. If I could buy Royal Yacht for that price, I would, but can't touch it for under $10 per 50 grams and that's if you're lucky. More likely you'll find it for $11 or $12 a tin, bringing the price up to around $100 a pound, which I am simply not going to pay. I'll either learn to make my own pipe tobacco, find something cheaper in bulk that I can enjoy, or quit smoking altogether (again) before I spend a hundred bucks on enough of a single blend of tobacco to last me for a couple to three weeks. I don't need or want to start spending half my free time and too much of my disposable income on pipes and tobacco again. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I sold and gave away over 200 pipes and maybe 40 pounds of tobacco a few years ago because it was becoming an all-consuming hobby and I'm not going there again. So, my self-imposed limit is $100 per month (average), and that's all inclusive. And I just spent a bit over $140 at 4noggins a few weeks ago, so I really shouldn't even buy so much as a Bic lighter for at least a few more weeks. I don't need new pipes (this does not include cobs, those I will buy at need), the pipes I have are all excellent smokers, decent looking enough, and will last me until I die, so I pretty much just need a few enjoyable tobaccos to smoke regularly, and the odd change-up tin or pouch for when I want something different. As for something I enjoy...I can enjoy pure perique (and do, often enough), or even straight bulk blending virginias and orientals, so I'm not really hard to keep happy, but like everybody else who smokes a pipe, I'm in search of that perfect blend for me...the one that suits my taste and smoking habits perfectly, that isn't too weak or too strong (little chance of the latter), to boring or too busy, that doesn't bite when puffed a teensy bit fast and that won't (or will, depending on your preference) run everybody else out of the house while you smoke it.

That said, I don't necessarily expect this Royal Yacht match to be identical to the original, but if it's within a stone's throw I might like it because I really loved the original. And if it's closer than the stone's throw, well then I might like it quite a bit and maybe it'll end up being one of my 2 or 3 regulars. And if there is a God above who loves me and is feeling particularly benevolent towards me on just the right day, maybe this copy will end up being something I enjoy much more than the original and I'll put a serious dent in my checking account by buying up a few hundred pounds of it and have what would amount to a lifetime supply that would only get better with every bowl

Sorry to go into such depth, but I felt it would be easier to have this conversation if you better understood my thinking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well it can't hurt to try an ounce or two of those various Royal Yacht matches. If you do, please let us know what you think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"And if there is a God above who loves me and is feeling particularly benevolent towards me on just the right day, maybe this copy will end up being something I enjoy much more......."

Howling........

Find your Zen, brother.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best of luck, Mike, on your journey...

I am not a heavy smoker, 1-2 bowls a day and days I go without altogether, so I am fortunate enough that economics doesn't drive my blend selection as much as taste.

It has got to be tough to find an enjoyable (and by the sound of your preferences, strong) blend that won't break the bank.

Thanks for going into detail - I didn't mind reading it one bit.

You be the judge and let us know how a small sample of the Royal Yacht match treats you. I have never had the original but I am always happy to see another tobacco review. I hope it works out for you.

Cheers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just got off the phone with these guys again, had actually planned on ordering a pound or 3 of that RY match and hoping I like it, and I guess sensing that I wasn't thrilled with the possibility of ending up with a bunch of tobacco I don't like, he offered to send me some samples of the RY and Nightcap bulk matches.

So we'll see what happens in a few days when they show up. Now I'm going to have to head to Joplin and pick up a tin of RY so, after I try some of the match to see whether I like it on it's own merit, I can pop open the tin and do a side-by-side.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PM sent, Mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be sure to report back on the side by side comparison!

If the bulks are the same as what are sold by a sponsor, I'll personally be choosing them out of respect for the allready amazing service they have provided me with.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried a large number of them, but of the ones I have sampled a bowl of, all the Altadis matches are quite good, IMO, especially considering the price. I particularly remember the Elizabethan Match -- compared to the original Dunhill Elizabethan, the Match was more peppery (more Perique?) but then I thought this might be unfair since tha Dunhill Elizabethan I was comparing it to was well aged and the Perique in it certainly mellowed out quite a bit. I never did get around to ordering Elizabethan Match, but I'm thinking, aging the Match a couple years or more would make the already pretty decent "match" pretty close to the real deal.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be sure to report back on the side by side comparison!

If the bulks are the same as what are sold by a sponsor, I'll personally be choosing them out of respect for the allready amazing service they have provided me with.

Wilco.

Just keep in mind that I'm not a great reviewer, though I shouldn't have too much trouble with the side-by-side. It won't be flowery, just what fact I can gather.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

UPS man showed today (again), and coincidentally he had both my Royal Yacht from pipes and cigars and my Royal Yacht match from Payless pipes, as well as 20 packages of 5 Brothers, a bunch of irish twist and other assorted odds and ends.

The Yacht: So, it's been awhile since I smoked the Yacht, but I've still not forgotten that smell of a freshly opened tin. When I popped the lid it was just as I remembered, except maybe a bit lighter in aroma, not as cloying, or maybe it's been long enough I remember it being stronger, hard to say. I get that kind of a berry/pineapple-ish sent that's impossible to describe, along with the aroma of matured virginia tobaccos (I'm confident that Dunhill 3 year matured and the Yacht had much in common...makes sense, I always loved both) and maybe something else sweet I can't put my finger on...I read alot of guys that say figs and raisins, but to me that's just the smell of sweet tobaccos.

Now the Match: I have to say that I was pretty surprised to see that the Yacht Match comes in a flake...no, not surprised, stunned, but I guess it makes sense, as that would certainly be the best way to age a tobacco. Anyway, visually, they are almost nothing alike except in color, and even then not identical, with the original being a tad lighter overall. But the aroma from the flake is nearly identical to that of the Yacht, though slightly less because the flake is somewhat drier than the tobacco in the tin and doesn't give as much nose as the moister tinned tobacco, and there is that hint of grassy/hay virginia aroma in the background that isn't present in the original.

Ok, on to the smoke.

I decided to pick the original first because...well, it's been awhile since the Yacht and I had a chance to sit together, so I loaded a nice big bowl and we just sat and enjoyed each other's company for a bit over an hour. Just as I remembered except it seemed a bit lighter smoke, though I have to admit that this is almost certainly due to being used to smoking reasonably strong tobaccos most of the day. Beautiful, wonderful smoke, absolutely zero tongue bite, mellow and sweet, and with no trouble keeping it lit. Shame it's $10 or more a tin, or I'd dip into my savings and have a lifetime supply shipped in. I've always loved the Yacht, and that apparently hasn't changed at all.

The Match....I grabbed a decent amount of the flake, rubbed it out about medium, filled another pipe (a Sasieni, just as good a smoker, though a slightly smaller bowl) and lit up....well, here I was, stunned again. The smoke isn't identical, and is a bit lighter than the Yacht, but this Match is a helluva good tobacco. I get just a teensy hint of that Stokkebye hay note when smoking, too, but if it weren't for that, the different cut, and the slight difference in strength, I doubt I'd notice the difference between them. Another utterly superb smoke that I'll be buying in bulk as soon as I call the gentleman back later this week and tell him to send it on.

So, in a nutshell, is it a perfect copy? Nope. But it's damned well close enough that you'll be thinking about one while you smoke the other. I still actually prefer the original, but mostly because it's....well, I guess because I'm just more used to it

The Match is a damned fine tobacco, certainly good enough to be smoked on it's own merit, but if you're a Yacht lover, then you seriously need to get yourself a pound of this Match because you'll love it too. Maybe not just as much, but if you're a Stokkebye fan, you might even like this more than the Yacht. I highly recommend it, ESPECIALLY for those newer smokers who are trying to cross over from aromatics, and are looking for something that won't bite.

Best I could do fellas, like I said, not a good reviewer, but I can do OK with a comparison.

Oh, almost forgot: He sent me a tad of the Nightcap match too. Great smoke also, but without a tenth of the balls that the real Nightcap has. Needs more perique (but as one of the mods here mentioned...doesn't everthing?), but a very smooth smoke, pleasant and as with the original Nightcap and most other Dunhill blends, no tendency to bite whatsoever.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

I tried the Altadis Elizabethan Match next to the real stuff and it isn't close. I think the ratios are close but the quality of the Virginia is obviously lower. Of course the Dunhill was aged but I don't think the Altadis will ever age as well. It tastes harsh like a cheap grade Virginia even if smoked slowly. Suffice to say, I was unimpressed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Mike, thanks for the "review" -- the important thing is that you found the Dunhill Yacht Match to be exceptional in its own right. And a flake for God's sake! I'd be really interested to know who makes that Match -- from all accounts, whoever it is, it's certainly a blender with class AND ability

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried the Altadis Elizabethan Match next to the real stuff and it isn't close. I think the ratios are close but the quality of the Virginia is obviously lower. Of course the Dunhill was aged but I don't think the Altadis will ever age as well. It tastes harsh like a cheap grade Virginia even if smoked slowly. Suffice to say, I was unimpressed.

You're not the first one I've heard that from, apparently that's one they didn't do much of a job on. I think the Nightcap is a fairly far cry off also, but like the Yacht, it's a nice smoke in it's own right, if too mild.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd be really interested to know who makes that Match -- from all accounts, whoever it is, it's certainly a blender with class AND ability

It's by Altadis. I was a little surprised, but there must be a couple of talented blenders working with that company, despite my opinion of many of their other products

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's like that Elizabethan Match. I thought it was pretty good, you and jgriff hate the stuff. There's no accounting for taste, eh?

It's sort of like my Carter Hall and Walnut, for what it is, it's quite good, IMO. Of course, my Wal-Hall isn't Dunhill or Esoterica, but I enjoy it on occasion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, I might joke around about Carter Hall, but in all honesty it's not a bad smoke, certainly not the nasty stuff that Captain Black is. And Walnut smells nice, but I've never smoked that one myself.

With Carter Hall, I remember thinking "Is this it? I expected more...." wasn't bad, just not great, and far too mild for my tastes, though I've been thinking about moving away from the somewhat stronger tobaccos I smoke routinely to something lighter, and just smoking those heavier blends a time or two a day. When every other pipe smoker you associate with is left dizzy and nauseous by a large bowl of the same tobacco that you smoke as many as a dozen times a day and don't even notice it, it's probably time to consider changing your routine and going with something a bit less lethal.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike thank you for being the one to dive in and give the match a try, Roysl Yatch was a very good smoke and I wouldn't mind cellaring a pound of it myself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried the Yacht match but I suspect the apparent quality difference between the Yacht and the Elizabethan is that there isn't anything else like Yacht out there. On the other hand, there are any number of VaPers out there. There isn't anything unique about Elizabethan except the balance of the Virginia & the Perique and the quality of the Virginia leaf. If that's off, then it's different and has to stand on it's own merit. The Yacht gets a wider road.

But Roth likes the Elizabethan match, so something is working. I evaluate it based on all the other VaPers out there and it's lacking to me.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mrbrog, pruss, transmutated, ruger414, tarak, ravkesef, durham270, bubblehead33, monty55, braumiester, rx2man, natibo, phonomet, phil67, andrew