PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Saw this on a link from a Facebook post. Didn't want to violate any rules by linking to the site.
----------------------
One of the most storied names in the world of cigars and pipes is going away.
Tobacco giant British American Tobacco is planning to no longer offer Dunhill cigars and pipe tobaccos.
“British American Tobacco (BAT) has informed us of their intention to exit the handmade cigar and pipe tobacco business for the Dunhill brands, said Régis Broersma, president of General Cigar Co., which makes Dunhill cigars and distributes them in the U.S.
“As this process will take approximately 12-18 months to complete, it will be business as usual; therefore, there will be no change to the way in which we manufacture, market and sell the Dunhill items in our portfolio in the near future. We are currently in talks with BAT to discuss the future of the brand.”
British American Tobacco has no plans to stop selling Dunhill tobacco products. Dunhill cigarettes remain a core part of the company’s premium offerings. BAT’s Dunhill business is different from the company’s luxury goods and accessories which is owned by the luxury group Richemont.
Earlier this week, British American Tobacco announced that it will merge with Reynolds American, creating the largest publicly-traded tobacco company in the world.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Very interesting. I know some of the Dunhill cigars, 1907 Churchill, sell very well. Makes you wonder how much profit is needed to cover the new proposed guidelines.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
What, again? Whatever. Too many great blends available and, already stashed away to get too worked up...a second time. But, of course, it is sad and I'm a number here will miss them. For me, I worry about McClelland. Mike McNeil's interview on the radio show kinda made me realize that brand may end someday sooner rather than later.
Mike S.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Welp, time to actually buy some dunhill tins to put away. I have held off to focus on other blends, but the time is near.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Interesting, I have not been able to find any information to confirm this. Has anyone located an actual press release, news story etc.?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Guess I'm going to have to revisit some of the Dunhill pipe tobaccos. Haven't smoked any for awhile because I like others better. It could be a smart investment to add some to the cellar though.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I read about the buyout a couple of days ago on the BBC news website as thus...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38647864
...but not much great detail is given.
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For me, I worry about McClelland. Mike McNeil's interview on the radio show kinda made me realize that brand may end someday sooner rather than later.
Man you said it.

I took Mike's comments as sort of a challenge though..I'd love to immerse myself in learning the craft and business from someone like him. I don't really have much else to live for lol.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I don't see anything from BAT on this. I think this is just trolling on the net.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Well if true that's too bad. I have a modest amount of my two favorite Dunhill blends in my cellar at least.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
checotah, I've read the original post a few times and it's not quite clicking. Is BAT ending the Dunhill pipe tobacco brands altogether never to have them available as a new product again? Or is the brand being sold by BAT for someone else to produce? Is this goodbye to Dunhill pipe tobacco in the next year or two, or just a change in ownership? Sorry to be slow. I guess it seems like the brand would just be sold at a profit and the blends would keep on coming. Thanks.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I think this needs to go the way of most C&D Mold threads(delete pile) until Online Vendors issue a verdict, I'm saying this is all scare. New Dunhill remakes just hit the market in the US. I think a run on your favorite vendor would be waste right now.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That is one crappily written announcement. It reads like it was kluged together from several different announcements, with a couple of phrases inserted as glue. I can see why it's confusing.
Still, buy what you can while you can is the best practice I can suggest these days.
Things might change.
Things might not change.
Kriswell was a Vaudeville act.
As it is, I have enough to keep me happy for a long long time.
And hopefully my heirs will be able to sell off the rest and make a little money on it, though I wouldn't bet on that either. I bought to enjoy as it's very iffy as an investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.