Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Dunhill tins-cellar or smoke?

(22 posts)
  1. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

For Christmas I was gifted a real nice pipe travel bag and a tin of Dunhill aperitif and a tin of London mixture. I have never had any dunhill tobacco before since I'm only 6-7 months in the pipe game. Should I just put them in my cellar and forget about them since I know they wont make anymore or should I smoke them? Or open smoke a little and jar the rest. Thoughts/opinions anyone?

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would smoke them now. You will gain an appreciation of what others are talking about when describing the blends. And those two blends are pretty basic Dunhill blends, so not a ton to gain by cellaring (i.e., they won't change a ton over time).

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seems like that would be a decision you need to make. Do you want to enjoy them now or would you prefer to save them for a special occasion (or whatever) down the road?

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may try them and hate them. If that is the case you can jar them for a while and see if you like them when your palette changes.

So smoke or tin? Both!

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^+1

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I went for a mixed approach with my remaining Dunhill tins. I have a little of everything Dunhill made, and though I like it, I won't mourn any particular blends.

I smoked some of everything I have, and am saving the rest for special occasions. For example, a college fraternity brother of mine got married over this past weekend, and four of the groomsmen are pipe smokers. We shared one of my tins of Nightcap during his bachelor party, and it was a very special memory. Definitely worth the wait, but if I had smoked all the Dunhill, I could easily have grabbed something else nice that would have been just as nice.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 6 months ago #
  7. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Yeah I was leaning more to opening them and jarring them, but the idea of opening a well aged out of production tin on a special occasion sounds nice. A guess the real question is do these blends gain a lot from aging. Also I'm afraid that if open and like them a lot I wont be able to buy what tins I can find because funds are tight at the moment.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

If it were something like Royal Yacht, you'd have hard time finding a replacement if you liked them. In my opinion, Aperitif and London Mixture are among the most easily-replaced Dunhill blends. For my money, C&D Old College and GL Pease Westminster scratch their respective itches very nicely, though others may have better replacements.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you don’t know what it’s tastes like “fresh” you will never know if the aged tin is any better

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try them. If you do not care for them you can trade unopened tins easier.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since it was a gift and it's only two tins I would open them, try them and then jar them. Then I would tell the person who gifted them to me that I enjoyed them very much.

I gave my son a bottle of Laphroaig Select on Christmas and he opened and shared with anyone who wanted some while he was over. He loves Laphroaig and I felt good that he opened it and enjoyed instead of taking it home and putting it on a shelf. I gave it to him to enjoy and he did.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am of the smoke 'em now school. If you enjoy them, you may be able to find some still in stock at some e-tailers.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 months ago #
  13. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I'd guess it was bought as a present for you to smoke and enjoy, so I'd smoke the tobacco and enjoy it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke them. I love both of those, and have cellared a lot of both of them. That said, neither one of those will gain much, if anything from cellaring.

Also, if you like London Mixture. you'll want to try GLP Westminster.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I doubt the Dunhill blends made by STG (post 2007...?) are going to ever be worth a lot of dough, if that’s why you’re hesitant about opening. There will be several equivalents available soon, some already available.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try them because if you like them you still can get London Mixture in quite a few places. Aperitif is a little harder to find.

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

I'd open them, smoke some, then jar them, unless you can't help dipping into them

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

Save two tins for ten years to make twenty bucks. What a waste. Think of all the tobacco that never gets smoked.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke 'em and enjoy them. That's the point of why you got them.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. morgansteele

morgansteele

Login to Send PM

My mantra: If you have a cool car, drive it; a cool scotch, drink it; a cool watch, wear it; or a cool tobacco, smoke it. Life's shorter than you think. Better you enjoying your stuff then someone else after you're gone.

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. ugh457

ugh457

Login to Send PM

Been enjoying my pipes for only 5 years, I have only begun to figure out what I like or don't. Try them, if you like, seek out some before they are gone.

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I've settled on opening the London mixture and trying it out and jarring the rest. The aperitif I think I'm going to save until I'm really in the mood to pop a tin lol.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   milehighpiper, weezell, craig61a, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88, oldgeezersmoker