PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
About six or eight years ago I came across a Dunhill Bent Rhodesian on the European estate market. Dunhill Rhodesians are anything but common so for a dedicated Rhodesian/bulldog collector it was a must have. Several years later I came across another, same style, same year but a different finish. It had been pretty badly used but the prospect of having a companion set was too much to resist so I bought it. One of the problems was that the bit had a significant chip taken out of the button end but if the rest could be salvaged I could always have a replacement bit made. For a number of reasons that never happened and that pipe sat in my box since then. Recently Dave has made several posts involving bit repair so I decided to give it a go. After a number of PMs (Dave has the patience of Job) I was ready.
The first step was to clean and sand the broken area. Here I used a bevel to support the underside of the repair. I used 220 grit sandpaper to make sure there was plenty of scratches for the mixture to grab hold of.

I decided since I was new at this I would do it in three stages. First to fill in the gap. Second to rebuild the button and lastly to fill in any small air bubbles that form when mixing. I sanded and filed between each coat.

Then came the rough sanding to get the general shape. That was followed by progressively finer sanding to establish the final shape.

Finally off to the buffer for some white diamond and a final coat of carnauba wax and it was finished.

Here is the pair. The bits were not duplicates of each other to start but I attribute that to the hand cut bits Dunhill uses. Not bad for a first try and I can always go back and touch up when my skills improve.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great job on those! I have a few like that myself that need repaired, just haven't worked up the nerve yet to take them on....... Curious, what's the shape # on those? Fine looking pipes!! :clap:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great job! A lot of good work can be done with the right materials and patience.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Beefeater, 52081, It's the 5 digit system Dunhill introduced in '79. As I understand it the first digit is the size, the second two are the bit type and the last two the pipe style. I found both on the European estate market. I never seen them offered in the US. Rumor has it that the stummels were GBD 9438s because Dunhill was having trouble meeting demand around the '79 time period and bought stummels from GBD but I'll never get a confirmation on that so rumor it will remain. The GBD (English Version) and these are almost identical. Both of the Dunhills are date coded 19 which is 1979.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks G --

I can see the 9438 similarity...... I can't really imagine that Dunhill would buy stummels from GBD, but I've heard those rumours too, I guess we'll never know!...... I have a few of those 5 digit pipes, and the damn #'s don't match anything!! Sweet pipes indeed, thanks for sharing!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo glo - way to go! I love that shape and have never seen one before, either in person or in a pic. Your repair looks great. What material is the bevel you used to support the repair? I assume the bevel is made out of something the adhesive won't stick to. What is the adhesive?
hp

les

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
lestrout, The bevel is a 45 degree angle sanded into the broken edge. By doing that you give the repair material support underneath and more bonding area. The plug you see in the airway is a piece of light cardboard covered with scotch tape. You slide a pipe cleaner underneath To keep it tight to the opening. CA glue will not stick to tape.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Medium CA glue and activated charcoal mixed 50/50. That may result in some tiny air bubbles in the surface so the final coat should be very thin (almost no charcoal).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Dave's system definitely looks the way to go. If any pipe needed to be salvaged, it was that Dunhill Rhodesian. Excellent job and quite a pair. That is interesting about the 9438 connection, they sure look similar (identical).

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Excellent repair :clap:
I hope this inspires other people to do the same on their pipes. It inspires me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
I was going to try and explain but this does a good job.

Radio controlled airplane guys use CA glue alot. (used to be one)
So what is "activated charcoal" ??
Mark

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
So what is "activated charcoal" ??
It is charcoal that has been called up from the reserves.
Actually, I do not know what it is, but I think you can find it in health stores.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I just marvel at the restorations that can be done with broken stem bits. In the past few months there have been on this stie some truly amazing restorations on stems that have changed my mind about how badly beaten up a pipe can be to still be a candidate for restoring!

Status
Not open for further replies.