banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Dunhill Royal Yacht

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

blazze

Login to Send PM

I recently picked up a few of these ordering the 5 tin special Smokingpipes was running. I have a fair bit of experience with all other Dunhill blends.. but I have never tried Royal Yacht. Most sites list this as an aromatic with some flavoring added but alot of reviews state they did not detect any. While I realize most tobaccos have this I would prefer not to ghost any of my pipes unnecessarily. It smells more like a good virginia with some possibly some burley... However, just to be sure. Do I have any worry smoking this in my va/vaper pipes? (I do have a pipe I smoke all of my Dunhill blends in but they all contain latakia for the most part..) If it is considered an "aromatic" I will regulate it to my aromatics pipes but I would rather not taint a good Dunhill blend with one of my aromatic flavorings...

Thanks,

Duane

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

peter70

Login to Send PM

There was a discussion about RY containing Burley or having a topping on pure Virginias. I still believe the former, but many experts are sure of the latter. Anyway, I have no problem in smoking RY out of my VA pipes. They smell pretty neutral after drying.

Kind regards,
    Peter
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would not consider this blend to be an aromatic. There is a light top-noting of brown sugar that gives a fresh baked bread type of aroma. There's certainly flavoring here but nothing like a cavendish-based aromatic. I think you'll lose the nuances of this blend if you smoke it in a pipe dedicated to aromatics.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

I read that RY had some very mind topping of tonka bean (as SG 1792 Flake is known for), among other things. It is possible. But all I get is bit of fruity tin aroma and just a hint on the tongue in the smoke. As a rule I cannot smoke aromatics, but I have no problem with RY in the least. The tin note does not seem to carry into the smoke or the room.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RY is a Virginia, not an aromatic, just like everyone else has already stated. I do have to throw in this little tidbit, if you have never smoked RY before take it slow it has a lot of nicotine in it and can really hit you.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

Smoke it out of your VA pipes

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

blazze

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the responses. In my va pipes it goes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just got some after not trying it for some years. It has changed and is not as good as it was. No problem ghosting though.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RY is my mainstay. It doesn't ghost. Do watch out for the nic though, it's pretty potent.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. topd

TopD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it in a cob. Not an aromatic regardless of other reviews....

Steve 'Top' Downey
    Master Sergeant
    USMC - Retired
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't stand the stuff. The nicotine is fine. It just tastes awful. Others think it is mother's milk.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, forciori, kylef, loborx, olkofri, dmcmtk, donjgiles, doug535, lawdawg, username, jaytex969, milehighpiper