PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazze

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
I recently picked up a few of these ordering the 5 tin special Smokingpipes was running. I have a fair bit of experience with all other Dunhill blends.. but I have never tried Royal Yacht. Most sites list this as an aromatic with some flavoring added but alot of reviews state they did not detect any. While I realize most tobaccos have this I would prefer not to ghost any of my pipes unnecessarily. It smells more like a good virginia with some possibly some burley... However, just to be sure. Do I have any worry smoking this in my va/vaper pipes? (I do have a pipe I smoke all of my Dunhill blends in but they all contain latakia for the most part..) If it is considered an "aromatic" I will regulate it to my aromatics pipes but I would rather not taint a good Dunhill blend with one of my aromatic flavorings...
Thanks,
Duane

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
There was a discussion about RY containing Burley or having a topping on pure Virginias. I still believe the former, but many experts are sure of the latter. Anyway, I have no problem in smoking RY out of my VA pipes. They smell pretty neutral after drying.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I would not consider this blend to be an aromatic. There is a light top-noting of brown sugar that gives a fresh baked bread type of aroma. There's certainly flavoring here but nothing like a cavendish-based aromatic. I think you'll lose the nuances of this blend if you smoke it in a pipe dedicated to aromatics.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I read that RY had some very mind topping of tonka bean (as SG 1792 Flake is known for), among other things. It is possible. But all I get is bit of fruity tin aroma and just a hint on the tongue in the smoke. As a rule I cannot smoke aromatics, but I have no problem with RY in the least. The tin note does not seem to carry into the smoke or the room.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
RY is a Virginia, not an aromatic, just like everyone else has already stated. I do have to throw in this little tidbit, if you have never smoked RY before take it slow it has a lot of nicotine in it and can really hit you.

~Ron

Aug 14, 2012
I just got some after not trying it for some years. It has changed and is not as good as it was. No problem ghosting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.