PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Here's a pipe I just picked up: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322383444129
I liked the birds eye on both sides of the bowl and the army mount. I tried figuring how much the value was before bidding, but didn't see too much to make a good comparison. In the end, I paid what I paid and it's worth it to me, +- a few bucks. Only thing I was left wondering is why does this configuration of a root briar and army mount seem harder to come by?
The buy it now price was about $150 more than what my winning bid was.
If anyone has a Dunhill army mount, I'm curious to know how you like the fitting. I have a meerschaum with an army mount, but it's more like a band than an actual mount. Is there any difference between a band and an "army mount". I'm assuming the stem fits into the silver piece without touching any briar. Is this right?
Interested to see if anyone has experience with these ones.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Absolute beautiful acquisition!
$_57.JPG

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I'm glad everyone has had good experience with the seller. This is the third pipe I've bought from him, so I felt confident in the condition it would be in. I was just having a hell of a time finding a decent comparison price. If it actually is an army mount.
From the picture and description, it appears to be an army mount, but I suppose it's hard to tell for sure. Perhaps he made a mistake. The pipe stem just ends without a tenon and it looks like the silver goes into the shank or will at least hold the stem, so I would assume you could pull this one out hot if the need struck? I don't find myself in a position of going over the breech too often, but it's always good to be prepared.
I guess I'll see when I get it.
On another note. I bought a pipe that he made. It was a very nice "lunar" rustication that felt great in the hand. It was about 3/4 of the way to being a short Canadian. French Canadian, perhaps. One day, the shank split open and chipped off a good chunk. I asked him if he could recommend someone in north America to do a repair. He said to send it back and will make the repair for free.
Heck of a guy.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Hello,
I definitely confirm this is an army mount, which means simple plugin (the stem is on one part and there is no tenon). Don't mix with spigot mount, which is metal inside metal.

I hope you'll like this Dunhill, unadoptedlamp. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.