PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,
Work had been hell today so I decided on my lunch break to go out to get some air. I wound up at an open air flea market near my work and decided to walk around. I came across a tray with some old lighters in it. Mostly zippos that I didn't much care for. I did come across one mangy pipe with that famous Dunhill name on it. When I say mangy, I mean it a'int that pretty. I asked the woman how much anyway, and she told me $2. I said why the hell not. I looked up the patent number on google, and it seems to be a rollalite model. Here are some pictures:

It doesn't appear to be one of the more highly valued versions. I'm no smith, so I couldn't tell you the metal. It sure is heavy though.

This is the best picture I could get of the nomenclature at the moment. Says, "DUNHILL LONDON, U.S.A. PAT No 0X, 2102108, OTHERS PENDING, MADE IN SWITZERLAND"

This is the inside. The wheel on the front doesn't turn. I don't really see much rust, but it is definitely dirty inside. The bottom screws off with my finger nail.
Anyone have any info on it for me? I was thinking about trying to fix it. I don't really have the expertise, but I'm a decent reverse engineer. I looked at a few places online and they seem mighty pricey to have repaired for something I paid a couple bucks for. It would be cool to get it working though. What do you guys think? Any offers to repair it? LOL :lol:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hey Psych, I have a Rollalite story. I won a very attractive gold colored nonworking Rollalite last year on ebay for $22. I tried to get the pics on ebay just now to show and they're no longer available. I found ARS in NC that repairs Dunhills, sent them the lighter, they sent me their estimate, and I about sh@t. They said that Dunhill sets the rates to be charged for such work. It was $147 to make my lighter work again. I had them fix it and when I got it back it worked as advertised, but the flame was the size of a 6mm filter in diameter, and not adjustable. To finish the story, I listed said lighter and after many weeks sold it for a $50 loss, feeling glad to be rid of it. Just thought I'd warn you if you're thinking of repairing yours. :roll:

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I may try looking at it myself. I looked at ARS myself and thought the price was crazy. I could likely buy one off the bay for less than what they were charging, and again it isn't the prettiest one ive seen. I figure If I take it apart and can't get it to work without heavy investment, I may just throw it back together and put it in my curio cabinet with my other pipe antiques. For $2, I'm not worried about messing up an already broken lighter.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Congratulations on your very nice find! I'm sure it will clean up well, and your reverse engineering may be all you need to have her working again. After Reading what happened to mcitinner1, I certainly wouldn't send it to an authorized Dunhill lighter repairman, but I'm sure you can find someone to get her working for a reasonable price if you happen to be unsuccessful.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
psychpipes:
A few years back I purchased a Dunhill Gemline butane-fueled lighter from an eBay seller in England, and sent it to ARS for reconditioning (it had a gas-leak), and while it WAS expensive ($133.75 including shipping) I found the quality of their work to be first class. Further, they guarantee all Dunhill repairs for one (1) year.
Having said that, since yours is a naptha-fueled lighter, if you are handy, then I do not see why you could not clean and repair it yourself. Chances are that the flint has disintegrated, and this is why the striker won't turn. Using an appropriately-sized drill bit you should be able to work out what is left of it, freeing the mechanism. It will take either a Dunhill Red or Blue flint; however, I cannot tell you which, as they are of different sizes. Beyond that a thorough cleaning followed by some metal polish like Simichrome, and you should have a wonderful, workable, $2.00 treasure.
According to this Website (Dunhill Lighters A/Z) the Rollalite model was patented in 1938.
I hope that you find this information to be helpful.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
A long time ago I had a friend that had a DH lighter, gold, flashy ( like everything was back then in certain social groups) & that lighter was in Switzerland more times than he went out of the county. Just saying. & that was back when they only cost a good weeks salary.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
So update: Since getting home, I have gotten to examine the lighter. I think I've got it working. I managed to clean out all the gunk inside, and loosened up the striking wheel. I don't have a dunhill flint, but for testing purposes tried out a zippo one. I got spark. I put a little fluid into the chamber and let it sit, but the wick wasn't igniting. I took some tweazers and realized there was only a small nub of it left in the lighter. So I need to get on and order a dunhill flint and a wick. So the fuel is being absorbed, I got spark, and with a wick it should be up and running. It still isn't too pretty, but it did shine up a little bit without too much work.
Here's the pics:

We have lift off!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Psych:
It's still a Dunhill and there's a huge tribe of off-kilter Dunhill collectors out there who will pay silly, stupid money for any item that has Dunhill engraved, stamped, embroidered, silk-screened, etc. on it.
You got it to spark. You got it shined up. Now throw it on the Bay, make fifty or more bucks and walk away smiling.
I'd call that a good day, bub.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.