1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If that pipe is in as good a condition as the seller says it is, which it looks like it very well could be, I would say you didnt do half bad. Not exactly a steal, probably right around what that pipe should be worth, at least in my estimation. Not a bad looking pipe either if I do say so myself. I would love to find a 1987 Dunhill (birth year pipe) just for the sake of saying I have one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I missed out on a 62 the other day. Don't know how I missed it so I'm thankful this one was there too. I thought it is the going rate for those so I don't feel to bad about it. I don't mind "stealing" one but am happy to pay a fair price for something.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you paid in the range of what the pipe is worth- nice pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Actually, you did quite well, this is a good value, if, as Pipe Novelist states, the pipe is in the condition as described by the seller.

I've interest in Dunhill pipes made prior to 1968, because after 1967, Dunhill stopped having one craftsman responsible for making each pipe by hand, from selecting the briar block to the final polishing of the finished pipe, and went to the machine made assembly line factory system.

That said, yours is a very nice Dunnie -- let us know how she smokes

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just out of curiosity, I looked up 1987 Dunhill and this was the only one listed. Almost up to what you paid for yours and there are 4 DAYS left, so Im sure its going to go for well above what you paid for yours. Love the cumberland stem on this one. Too bad I dont have the cash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pipe-estate-1987-DUNHILL-CHESTNUT-GROUP4-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-CLEAN-ESTATE-/200894970821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec645fbc5

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I looked up 1987 Dunhill and this was the only one listed.

Actually, that Chestnut has a value about equal to what MustangGT paid for his 1968. But I agree, it will probably sell for more because it's prettier (the "ooh shiny" crowd) and that cumberland stem jumps the price $100 LOL.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been kind of confused about when the cut off date for the "good ones." I've read 68 or 69 and now 67 roth. Is there a more official history that I've not seen? I am all for the one craftsman from begining to end. That just makes for better quality in my mind. Well between that billiard and the Hun, I'm happy with my first foray into the Dunhill world.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I thought it was before 1968, mustang ... it might well be after 1968. My memory isn't what it used to be. Neverltheless, by all indications your newest Dunhill is a fine pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks roth. No problem I am just learning and you know how much info there can be out there to confuse things. If I am going to do anything right I want to learn it the right way. You've helped me do that and I appreciate it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on your new pipe. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats - I think you did very well. When you compare other makers that you can get new at that price, I'd say you got an exceptional value. I am sure it will be a superb smoker.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you look at the stem and shank real close it looks like the shank is a bit larger. It could be the camera playing tricks but do you see what I mean? I would ask the seller if the stem and shank are totally flush, if they are not it could be a replacement stem.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very good eyes Harris, I have to agree with you. Still a good deal. Looking to pick up a Dunhill for myself, eventually.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Harris. No I did not see that. I really looked it over well too. It looks to me that you could say that in some of the photos and others it looks fine. In any case I will check it out once it gets here since it's already on it's way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know how pictures can be misleading so hopefully that is the case here. If it does indeed not fit right, I would ask him about the possibility of his replacing the stem, which is something he needed to declare. Even if he had a Dunhill stem made from Walker or someone like that he needed to say so. It is a great looking pipe and I think the price was fair if it is an original stem. If it is not original, the value obviously goes down.

I hope I am not being a downer for you, but you did ask for opinions. I really hope it comes in perfectly and you are real happy with your purchase. One thing I always look real carefully at with the Dunhills is how the stem fits the shank, Dunhill is famous for their fit and finish so it is pretty easy to tell when one of their pipes has a replacement stem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You didn't mention what size bowl. For a #3 to 4 bowl that price is about right. I list on Ebay for fixed price and would have asked $225 for that one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No worries Harris it's what I asked for and got. Alot of you guys have way more experience than I do and appreciate the lessons I learn. Can't learn if you don't make mistakes. It is a group 4 bowl and I thought from all the Dunhills I looked at for months now that it was fair, that is if the stem is original. His description says "stem to shank alignment is perfect" and "stem fits tight" so hopefully at this point it is accurate and original. Let you know in a week or so. Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Mustang, you did fine and I'm 95% sure you'll love your Dunhill.

Don;t fret. Let us know how shoe smokes

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks roth. Maybe 96%.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a nice looking pipe and looks in good shape from the pictures. I think you did well.

I don't know if you noticed, but If you look at the pipe's nomenclature, you will see the number 6 after the word England and to the right of that, the number 9, just just touching the circle around the group size number. This indicates that the pipe was manufactured in 1966 and sold out of the factory in 1969. I learned about this, researching one of my pipes on pipephil. Mine was made in 1957 and sold in 1963, according to the markings. I bought it either late in 1963 or early 1964, so I know it's provenance. What I haven't figured out is why mine laid around so long.

The significance with your pipe is that it indicates it was made in 1966, not 1969 and is considered more desirable no matter what date is correct.

Happy smoking!

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. chispa

chispa

Login to Send PM

Looks very nice. You got a good deal. I've seen them go on ebay and you didn't overpay. Hope you enjoy it! You can always sell it if you don't like it and would likely make back your money back.

<<insert witty signature here>>
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. John yes I did notice that and just chalked it up to striking the 6 rather than the 9 and just saying oops. That is kind of interesting though and kind of adds another little twist to things.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I got it in finally today. It takes quite awhile to get here from Deutschland. I am extremely happy with this one. It is in beautiful condition even better than the photos. I started off with Dunhill Flake, which seemed appropriate, and the last bowl of the day was Esoterica Dunbar. It smokes cool and dry. It is very light and balances well in the hand or mouth. It passed a BJ tapered pipe cleaner straight on through no hang up in either direction. I'm very impressed with the quality and attention to detail that these pipes have.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad she smokes well for you. It's a gorgeous pipe. Most Dunhill Shells are. You paid exactly what it was worth IMHO. I've got 7 Dunnie Shells, and I wouldn't part with any of them. Congrats on your new acquisition.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mustang, I am so glad to hear you are pleased with your new Dunhill. Obviously the pictures were playing tricks on our eyes and the fit and finish is what you expected. Excellent choice for a first smoke, I do enjoy the way my Dunhills smoke flakes. You have now scratched an itch that I am sure you have been pondering for quite some time, is it everything you expected? Does the pipe exceed your expectations?

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes it does. I am more than happy with it. It is going to be my #1 flake smoker. I appreciate all that you and others have done to help me make an informed decision that helped me find the right one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats mustanggt - very glad to hear it's worked out for you!

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hapy to hear your Dunhill exceeded your expectations -- and it looked very good in the photo! Those old Dnnhills are da bomb

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully the new Dunhills aren't half bad either ... just won this baby: a Ring-Grained 2103, for 1/7th of the new-price.

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Love the ring grain and the great price.

I doubt you'll be disappointed, hfearly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice blast on your pipe, hfearly.
    Happy smoking!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HF very nice looking pipe, sometimes the newer ones smoke better than the older ones. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let us know how she smokes when you get her lit up.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   smorgdonkey, captainsousie, lestrout, warren, rsuninv, natenice1, eightywon, randyb, minfarshaw, wyfbane, jerry, andypandy, papipeguy, tbradsim1, disinformatique, michiganlover, blackhat84, darwin, crimsonrat, tobyducote, huskysibe