PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I'm quite the pipe newbie, with 5 pipes (3 briars, one morta, one cob). Recently, I've learned that Dunhill pipes are one of the most revered marques and since, I have developed a Dunhill PAD. Now, I've spotted a nice deal for a new size 3 shell briar that is fortunately within my budget. However, what keep me from going right at it are some discussions from fellow (and probably much more experienced than me) pipe smokers here that while Dunhills may be great, I could get a much better pipe for that much money. Could anyone share their thoughts on this matter?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dunhills are good, but so are cobs. I own about 15 Dunhills. None are after 1967. I know pipe smokers that love them and I know pipe smokers that hate them.
It's all up to you.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
4199675334_66c3e3d61d_z.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Needless to say, this has been discussed at some length over the years. Some just like White Spots (Dunhills) and feel that the price is not an obstacle. I am not a Dunhill guy, but my guru on the brand is our member foggymountain, who worked in a pipe shop in Manhattan as a teenager and has preferred Dunhills to most, maybe any other, brand. However, he does warn against the Cumberland and Shell series. Another member, chasingembers, was disappointed with his Dunhill and pictures it used as a planter. I think they are a good old English name and mostly well made pipes, and very sharp looking, but simply overpriced. For $700, which is not an unusual price for a new Dunhill, I think most could find two or three higher end pipes that would please them as much. I think the same disparity at a lower level exists in the estate (used) pipe market. But if you crave one, and can afford it without undue sacrifice, it might be good to purchase one and see how you like it. They've never been worth that price, new or estate, to me. As a disclaimer, I will admit, I am someone who greatly enjoys MM cobs, a Kaywoodie Drinkless, and a Yello-Bole briar, as well as a number of middle priced and some up-market pipes too.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My thoughts are if you want a Dunhill, buy one. It's your money. I too am a newbie (8 months) and I certainly can afford a Dunhill...I won't, not at this stage of the game. My pipes all range in the $50-$125 range. I'm still learning techniques, trying to pick up the tastes and learning about the different blends. I will probably purchase a Dunhill in the future...only when I'm a more experienced piper. If you do pull the trigger on a Dunhill....enjoy it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's all relative.
The most honest answer I could give is yes Dunhills are very well made pipes with much attention to detail and a lot of scrutiny as to what briar ends up becoming a Dunhill pipe.
Personally I never came across one cheap enough on the estate market that piqued my interest to pull the trigger on one. Now that I've gotten into the American carvers I'd much rather spend the $500 on a new Sam Adebayo or Pete Prevost or Ryan Alden or Abe Herbaugh instead. That's just my personal preference though.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Not really....but it seems everyone sooner or later needs to scratch that Dunhill itch, myself included. I have owned 10 or 12 Dunhills and currently own 3, with no plans for any more.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I have 2 Dunhills.They are great pipes.There are other excellent pipes that cost less.The choice is yours.You won't be disappointed with the Dunhill but they are expensive.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I say save your money. They CAN be good pipes but aren't always. Don't kid yourself, you aren't really missing out on anything. If you like traditional English shapes I would keep my eye out for a nice smaller Bill Taylor Ashton. You could get a nice sraight grain for less than a lot of new Dunhills.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
These are exellent pipes, but too expensive like all luxury items that are also paid for the brand, and their cost of advertising expensive shops and others.
It is a choice to please yourself by necessarily logical unless we have the financial means without problems.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Oops I truly didn't know this was such a hot potato... my apologies if it bothered some of you. I've decided to go back to my original plan and 1) purchase a Golden Gate pipe from Ukraine, which in my native South Korea is considered the "bang for buck" pipe and 2) buy some raw material from Vermont Freehand to try making a pipe on my own! After all, I'm a college student and I can always use some more cash:) Thanks guys.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alex, this is one of the more polarizing questions in the pipe community. Generally speaking, older Dunhills (like pre-70 something) smoke very well, but command a higher price. I am of the camp that much depends on the person using the pipe rather than the pipe itself.
If you are just starting out, get your method down first.

Reactions: btwes7
Status
Not open for further replies.