(20 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by waznyf
  • Latest reply from headhunter
  1. waznyf

waznyf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking at a couple of Dunhill pipes on eBay and although they are gorgeous, they are pricey. I am willing to pay the price but I would like to know of you think it is worth it.
    I'm sure there are other brands or pipe makers whose quality mathes Dunhill or surpasses it but I guess I don't know who that might be. Maybe experimentation is the best option? Hopefully you can all give me your opinion as to whether Dunhill pipes are as good as their price claims and if not could you recommend other brands/makers who are just as good and cheaper at the same time.
    Thanks!

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If "you" think you need a Dunhill, then its worth it. Make sure you by from a person has it described and has a tad of pipe knowledge. Myself even though I own a few Dunhills am happy smoking Petersons

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are looking for an opinion mate, include a link or some other way for us to have a look. I wish you the best of luck mate, enjoy

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent Pipes..If you can get a good price on them.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am one of few who believe they really are worth the money. I have one, and it is one of the best smokers I have, there is just something different about it. I have a good friend, an older english gentleman, who swears by them. I really think there is something different about them, better, I think so, others may not.

If I had the funds, I would buy a few

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's all relevant to what you can afford. If you can afford Dunhills, then buy them. Personally, I can't afford to spend that much on one pipe, but if I could I would

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have one more thought on this. An inexpensive basket pipe is a piece of wood, as is for instance a $600.00 brand new Root Briar Dunhill. If the basket pipe is a decent piece of briar it will do the same job as the Dunhill. Are most people going to notice the White Dot on the stem of your Dunhill, probably not.

What this all boils down to is the status of smoking a peice of pipe smoking history. If you purchase a new Dunhill a lot of the work is done by machine, not by old craftsmen. Most of them have left and started there own companies. I just purchased a great pipe made by an up and coming pipemaker. I paid considerably less then a Dunhill and this was made just like pipes where made 70 to 80 years ago. It smokes like a dream and I consider it a much better smoker then the Dunhill Shell Briar pipe from 1955 that I have owned for over 20 years.

Just use caution on eBay if you do decide to take that route. If I was laying out several hundred bucks, the seller netter have a return policy and deal mainly in pipes. I know in another thread I was writing about ebay, but most of the pipes I buy are in the 40-70 buck range and at that price I personally can afford to take a chance.

Good luck in whatever you do. If you do buy a Dunhill I hope you have many years of smoking enjoyment from it. Personally I would buy several High Grade Petersons!!!!!!

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunhills are certainly worth the money. It comes down to your own preference. High grade Charatans, high grade GBD's , high grade Upshalls would be three good brands to look for if you would like to see similar quality pipes in the same price range.
    Some great Italian pipes in that price range too. Ser Jacopo, Ardor, Caminetto, Castello, Don Carlos, Rinaldo, Mastro de Paja.
    And you could always buy American made pipes with your money too! Rad Davis, Kurt Huhn, Wayne Teipen, Jody Davis, Mark Tinsky all make amazing pipes for the money.
    You could pick any name from the list, just find the style that you like the most. All of them make excellent pipes.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got to smoke a Dunhill and Daidhoff recently sorry to say to me there was no difference in how they smoked compaired to some of the low and mid range pipes I own was it better than a Dr Grabow yeah was it better than a Peterson ARAN? nope. Ive got some basket pipes that ran me between 20 and 50 bucks that smoke just as good.
    Thats just my oppinion and I do have different tasts in pipes than most.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. kyletheaviator

kyletheaviator

Login to Send PM

If "you" think you need a Dunhill, then its worth it.

It couldn't be said much better than that. Just like all pipe smokers justify buying more pipes than they need. It's a bug, if you think you need one, you're never going to be able to let that feeling go. if you can afford it, make some form of justification *cough* excuses *cough*to yourself and don't hold back!

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you’re looking for something comparable, many consider Castello to be the Italian equivalent.

I’ve owned several Dunhills over the years and I think they’re excellent pipes. Fit, finish and materials are all top notch. Not to be argumentative, Jaysin, but to claim a Peterson Aran or a $20 to $50 basket pipe is comparable to a Dunhill is quite a claim indeed. The stem work on the average Dunhill alone is enough to differentiate it from a basket pipe or even an Aran.

A few years ago I became more interested in handmade pipes from North America so I started selling and trading most of the Dunhills to make room in the racks and free up some capital. Dunhills do retain quite a bit of their value, so you’ll always find a buyer if/when you decide to sell it. And I agree with Lonestar, for the same amount of money you can get a one of a kind, hand made pipe. But the bottom line is you should smoke the pipe that YOU like.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd love to own a Dunhill as they are certainly part of pipe smoking history. But they are also out of my price range! I do have a Dunhill factory second that, despite the draft hole being off centre, smokes really well. For my budget I do love Northern Briars which is a one man independent British company that make excellent pipes in the £100 - £200 range.

As has been said before, only you can decide if a Dunhill is "worth" the money.

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. bailey331

bailey331

Login to Send PM

I have always wanted one but never wanted to pay the price. Im happy with the way my lower end pipes smoke and they look good too.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BigVan like I said thats just my oppinion. I did not see any difference in how they smoked compaired to my Aran or some of my basket pipes. Dont get me wrong they are nice pipes and the fit is amazing I just didnt see a difference in how they smoked.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

noahoscar986

Login to Send PM

Have you searched on eCig-City promo code, I mostly buy my pipes from there but I dont know your one is available there or not, you need to search there.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somehow I doubt the original poster is going to see your link. He hasn't posted in 5 years!

And although I doubted, I looked anyway, and see no tobacco pipes at "ECig City."

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, say, Mr Threadomancer, maybe I'll click that link and get into vaping while I'm there! Thank you so much for answer question! What helper!

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, you should buy a Dunhill.

Surprised the "visitor" is still here. A bot??

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are buying a name...if it is an older Dunhill like from the 80's an older and the price is good for you, then go ahead and buy it...but todays Dunhill pipes...the newer ones are not worth the $$'s you are paying for it. All you are buying is name recognition...they don't smoke better than an older Comoy or GBD...older because they used better wood aged better and longer and cured better and longer...that is my opinion and that is what you are getting...everyone's opinion.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

The only Donnie I have is my birth year. I’ve never desired to own another. There are many pipes out there that are better value than Dunhill.

Posted 1 month ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper