PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I know I may be beating the proverbial dead horse with this inflated collection of words, so I thank you in advance for bearing with me.
I've read the debates: Are Dunhill pipes really worth their premium price tag? Of course, having never experienced a Dunhill first hand, I've always participated in these conversations as only an observer. For my individual taste, the classic Dunhill shapes seem rather subdued (especially when taken into combined consideration with their average cost). That is, until I recently spied a rather attractive sandblasted estate pipe. I was actually surprised to see the iconic white dot on its stem; because, in my opinion, I wouldn't call this particular pipe's shape classic or traditional.
The good acquaintance that was showing me the piece out from behind the glass, agreed; saying, "I know! When I first saw it, I thought it was an Italian maker. Normally I find Dunhill's shapes just so damn... ... ... British!"
"Oh, baby," my wife even commented, "that's a Bear pipe!"
The pipe was a [1986] Dunhill Shell #5102 BS... and sitting next to the Shell Brier was another [unsmoked] estate Dunhill billiard: a more traditional ― and petite ― [2000] Bruyere #3101.
The acquaintance, familiar through our previous conversations that I'd never been attracted to any specific Dunhill shape (minus some limited Christmas offerings) and thus having never had the privileged of smoking one, grinned and said, "You know what? You guys have always been really good to us over the years..." He then went on to make quite the generous gesture: offering us both Dunhills at the initial price that the tobacco shop had purchased them for from the original owner (in shop trade value); virtually offering to gift us the pair of briers.
As I walked out of the shop, belated Christmas presents in hand, I couldn't thank him enough for the lavish exchange.
"It's my pleasure," he responded, "and now you can see if Dunhills are really worth it."
So, later that evening, as I gently tamped the embers of a familiar flake, and took inaugural sips from the small Dunhill, my opinions weren't being swayed by the infamously hefty price tag.
The first thing that stood out about the pipe was its balance. It perched between my clenched teeth with minimal effort, giving the illusion of near weightlessness; the draw was also close to perfect, virtually smoking itself; and, though a group 3 chamber is a bit small for my personal taste, it smoked my folded flake for several hours... doing so cool and dry through the entirety.
Yes, it's a good pipe; however, I wouldn't call it extraordinary; and I still preferred my Ardor Sherlock Holmes XIV... but then, this morning, I decided to try the #5102 BS.
This pipe's size and shape are more to my preference, and the tobacco I'm enjoying in it, smokes wonderfully. Even for its larger size, it shares all the same qualities of its more petite cousin, but just seems to produce a better quality smoke, with a richer flavor. In fact, my only slight personal cavil is Dunhill's use of Vulcanite stems.
And though this statement may be premature: I will admit, this particular pipe might come to rival my beloved Ardor; and I may, in the distant future, seek out a similarly shaped Dunhill (preferably from the same year) or perhaps try their interpretation on the poker.
I don't see myself owning a fleet of Dunhills, but procuring a seven day set over the next decade may be a personal goal.
So ― yes ― much like tobacco, taste in pipes are highly subjective; and, while there may be some Dunhill duds out in the market place, I'm personally quite fond on this #5102 BS. Perhaps my local brick & mortar, knowing well my personal taste and preferences, decided this generous investment would serve them several fold in the future.
Would anyone care to share their expierences or opinions (good, bad, or ugly) with specific Dunhill shapes?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Had a Dunhill 4103 Ruby Bark billiard. Drilling was way off, and traded it for three tins of Mephisto. Really put me off factory made briars.
002-015-3028.jpg

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Cap'n, your experience was actually one of the instances that stood out in my mind, which led me to thoroughly inspect both pipes.
It's a drag that the Ruby Bark didn't work out; however, from what I've heard about Mephisto, you may have certainly come out ahead in that trade.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Damn, I knew I spoke too soon... I was just cleaning the #5102 BS and it has already developed oxidation on the stem. I know it was the older estate, but Vulcanite annoys me for this very reason. Looks like Ardor is back on top for now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not and never have been a Dunhill owner. I trust foggy and others that many Dunhills are excellent pipes. I think the pricing is good business for Dunhill and an appeal to the prestige market, but I do not think they are two or three times better (as their price would suggest) than Ser Jacopo and Ferndown, pipes that I do own and highly commend. My problem with Dunhill is their pricing, not the pipes, which are strikingly good looking and said to be usually good smokers. Even foggy has some series he approves and others he disdains.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'll help the discussion out. Cobs are garbage, Italian pipes are like stinky feet and only Dunhills are decent smokers.
Pipes are subjective. Styles are subjective.
Keep your hands off my meers.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Does anyone buy new Dunhills as an investment? If you look for example at this 1979 Dunhill I would love to know what it cost new. I assume it must have been considerably cheaper than the $415 SP wants.
004-002-11695.jpg

Or this 1968 for $575
004-002-11556.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't own a Dunhill, but my friend who hangs out with me for a smoke on a regular basis as three. From the three he has, one is a very nice pipe, one is a good pipe and the last one is below average in my opinion. Of course I don't smoke them, so my opinion is based off appearance/craftsmanship and what I can make out from the mechanics of the pipe.
To me Dunhill pipes are like buying a pair of Nike shoes. Yes, I could go out a buy a pair of Nike's, but why spend the money on those when the Reebok, Adidas etc. shoes are just as nice and a lot cheaper and perform equally.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ok, here's my serious take. I own 7 Dunhill pipes ranging from 1920 to 1971. They all smoke very well. The look good. The qualities of craftsmanship are all there.
Did I get lucky. No.
I own 6 Astons. 4 smoke great. 2 are dogs.
I own 10 Sasieni Four Dot pipes...all are great smokers.
I owned on Radice. It was a POS.
I could go on.
Too much is subjective. Workmanship varies. These are pipes. Not CAD sculpted pieces of aluminum.
As for what they're worth.....what would YOU pay?

Reactions: Papamique

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Having said all that.....my Ryan Alden pipes are the best pipes I've ever smoked. Load and forget. Perfect. $300- $350. As a matter of fact, I have three being made as I type this.

Does anyone buy new Dunhills as an investment?

If we look at the 50's and pipes being sold for $20, but then look at the average salary, even though there is a larger number on the pipe now, it is not more, with inflation taken into account. I could maybe buy 2 Dunhills today, whereas in the 50's I might not have been able to buy even one ever other month. In the 50's I could also buy a brand new Chevy for about $1,000. And, because today a new Chevy sportscar might cost me $25,000 does not necessarily mean that it has gone up in value. The numbers go up, not the value.
Only rarely have pipes actually gone up in value, very very rarely. One would have to be a fool to think of pipes as an investment... but, it's perfectly fine to use this as an excuse for the wife. :puffy:

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
When you´re into classic English shapes Dunhill is one of the best brands for you. Do they smoke better than other pipes? In my opinion defintely not. I own three Dunhills by now and they are not among my best smoking pipes. But what do I know? Maybe I am affected by their myth while smoking and distracted by this? Maybe I simply expect too much of them? Are they too expensive? Boy, yes! Will I buy another one? When the price is right - maybe... ehh... yes... uh... no.... maybe...

Fitzy that 1979 Cumberland Gr. 6 is way more than $400+ for a new one, its my birth year too ;)
That 1968 Root Briar is also worth it for $575, a new root briar costs around a little less than double in the US.
Will I buy them? No, not my style. :puffpipe:
The investment grade pipes are from dead pipe makers like Bo Nordh, Sixten and so on, or if you can score a cheaper Anne Julie and sell it for double the price ;) :nana:
Cheers,

Chris

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I'd like to see Nate's response to this since he has quite the Dunhill collection.
I don't have any Dunhill's myself, but if budget allowed I'd buy one to round out my collection. They have a few shapes and finishes which appeal to me. Is a high grade "worth it" as far as smoking qualities? Probably not, but for a pipe smoker/collector with the means, why not.
I would never buy a pipe for an investment, there are many investment opportunities in the world with much better returns. Personally, I buy pipes simply for the smoking/hand feel/eye appeal pleasure. Just my opinion and 2 cents.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
As much as I would love to own a new Dunhill, ( I don't do estate) I cant justify the price. Especially since I beat on all my pipes regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.