PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Has anyone ever been to the museum in London ? I cant seem to find much info, except that they auctioned a number of pipes from Alfred Dunhills collection in 2004. Was wondering if it still existed, or if the bastards sold the old mans whole collection.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
All I could find was this: http://www.touruk.co.uk/london_museums/alfreddunhill_collection1.htm

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yeah, I found bits and pieces about it, but no real info. I found old links to a virtual museum on Dunhills website, but its no longer there.

I'm looking for info on Sir Walter Raleighs last pipe that he gave away on the scaffold just before they lobbed his head off. It was purchased by Alfred Dunhill in 1911, and supposed to have been lost in a Nazi air raid in WWII, but I found a reference saying it was still in the Dunhill museum, and also I may or may not have just bought said pipe from an auction in Tacoma Washington 8O

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Marm, I'm thinking its not the actual pipe, but...... who knows ??? I wont have the pipe for another week or two. Its just one pipe in an amazing collection I bought. The pipes are from the 1500's-1800's in display cases that once were part of a private museum. Its going to be amazing, wether its Sir Walter Raleighs pipe or not, but if it is his pipe........... I don't know what to think about that.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
zzzzzzz.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Pawpaw, the thought hadnt crossed my mind yet. My first reaction is No, but I'm not sure.

The Raleigh pipe isnt really visible in the picture, but its the wood carved one above the Writing (I assume?)

The rest of the pipes on the board are Staffordshire ware and Prattware pipes from the early 1800's.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I dont know, might be nice to load it up with a bowl of something...... if I could just think of the right tobacco...... Prince Albert ? Carter Hall ?

I wouldn't be so worried about ruining a museum piece, as I would be creeped out by its last user having his head lobbed off before the pipe had a chance to cool. Though by the accounts I've been reading, Sir Walter himself wasn't terribly bothered by death.

Called the executioners ax a sharp medicine, but one which cures all disease. :D

I'm liking Sir Raleigh more and more

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Idk, I would like to smoke a bowl in Einstein's pipe, if it could have be done. Never bought or owned a pipe that I didn't smoke, though honestly, I never owned a real collectible, much less a museum peice. Just holding it would still be exciting!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Very interesting, please keep us informed of any new findings. Now that's what I call some interesting history concerning pipes. Bravo Lonestar.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
The man to contact regarding the Dunhill auction would probably be Mr. Ben Rappaport who is a wealth of knowledge in these matters. I am sure there were auction results of prices realized for the items sold. That info was surely published and may help you determine what you actually have. Good luck.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thanks Doc, I will try to find some contact info for Ben Rappaport.

I found the 2004 auction information, but apparently there was a second Dunhill auction which I havent tracked down yet. I couldnt find this pipe listed in 2004.

It looks like the only pipes they kept in the museum were actual Dunhill branded products.

I've been searching my house for Dunhills Pipe Book, I know I have a copy but cant find it anywhere. I recall lots of weird pipes in the book, but dont remember if this one was included in the book or not.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
That's the coolest @#$%ing thing i've seen in a while. Looks like I need to brush up on my pipe history and figure out more about this Walter Raleigh.
Please post pictures when you get it!
In 1594 Raleigh heard of a "City of Gold" in South America and sailed to find it, publishing an exaggerated account of his experiences in a book that contributed to the legend of "El Dorado". (via wikipedia)
I would like to read this! I wonder if it was kept and put into an actual book that can still be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.