PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmudgn

Lurker
Jul 11, 2016
Greetings to all. New user here. I am an occasional pipe smoker and mainly use the pipe while on fly fishing trips.

I was given a pipe from the estate of my great uncle who died at lest 20 years ago. It is a 10 inch Dunhill Church Warden. I tried to key out the information on the pipe from the web, but was not able to figure it out due to the numbers on the pipe not matching what I saw displayed on line.

Here is the info from the pipe stem:

A Dunhill London

Made in England

Pat. No 417574 subscript 16

C 60
I am hoping someone here can help me out with this as the subscript number and "C60" stamp do not seem to match what I have seen on the web.
Thanks in advance

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Sounds like you have an interesting piece.
You will get much more information by posting photos.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
P.s. Check out this link, under the "Dateing of Bruyere and Root finishes - 1925 onwards": http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum!
This is a way to add photos to your post:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site such as Imgur.com, select the image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste the URL into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That does sound interesting, I'll stay tuned for pix.

I did move this to the British Pipes section (out of the Buy/sell/Trade)

kmudgn

Lurker
Jul 11, 2016
This message should show the pics, but if not, use link below (photobucket)
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/rpeimer/library/CHURCHWARDEN

kmudgn

Lurker
Jul 11, 2016
htpp//
CHURCHWARDEN

I think I screwed up the original msg, but this seems good for the pics

kmudgn

Lurker
Jul 11, 2016
Here are some additional photos of the pipe. I still cant identify what the "C60" stamping means. I have tired to contact Dunhill in the UK via email, but all my messages bounce back with "fatal error". I spoke with Dunhill US and they said that they would have the UK contact me, but after 2 weeks I still have no response.
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/rpeimer/slideshow/CHURCHWARDEN

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Your pipe is quite nice and while not truly rare, is certainly uncommon.
Everything appears to be original, and it looks never to have been damaged or worked on in any way. Excellent condition all round.
Professionally cleaned/restored and listed on Ebay with a full set of good photos for a long soak-time, it would bring a decent amount, I think. (Mentioning it because that's what most inquiries by new members of this type are about). If you intend to keep it as a family heirloom or to smoke it yourself, though, congratulations! You scored a good 'un. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.