PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I recently was at a shop and they were selling an old Dunhill pipe. It was tucked in the back of one of their cases, but the marking were different then I had ever seen. It was a smaller straight apple shape, stamped DUNHILL and under that Paris. The stem did not have a white dot, but rather a very faint diamond with a D inside.

The shop owner claims that it is a world war 1 pipe, that was made in France, because they couldnt get briar in England. I was really wanting to take a chance on this, but was also nervous cause I have never heard this type of story before. He was asking two bills, so I thought I would check the net, but have had no luck. Any Dunhill guys out their that would have ever heard anything like this??

Sorry no pics, wouldn let me take pics inside the shop

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Thats them!! So do you think they are still good pipes? Dunhill quality! Or were they junk compared to the other Dunhills?

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Offer $150. I would explain what I found out about said pipe, explain the value to you, and the worst he can say is no.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Thats what I was thinking too, cause the bowl appears to be in good shape, but the stem is horrible. Not even sure if it could be saved. I was thinking for more of an investment, but then again the last two dunhills I got for "investment" are sitting in my rack be loved.

blaik

Lurker
Dec 28, 2014
Russia
Hello friends!In my collection I have 2 unsmoked "Dunhill Paris" bulldogs. They are very good quality pipes indeed.
DUNHILLPAR5464.jpg

DUNHILLPAR7cae.jpg

DUNHILLPAR5cdb.jpg

DUNHILLPARee30.jpg

010c8c.jpg

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Those two Dunhill Paris Bulldogs look to the be in pristine condition. Are they restored? Can't see a scratch or a pit anywhere

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's another one that has come up on Ebay, rough shape but still some bidders.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ALFRED-DUNHILL-PARIS-BRIAR-ESTATE-SMOKING-PIPE-/191736327195?hash=item2ca4602c1b:g:7osAAOSwAYtWQ18i

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I suspect Dunhill Paris pipes were not made in any significant quantity (war period only) and that alone would make them something of a rarity. That pair of unsmoked bulldogs is absolutely beautiful. Saving the original stem is however critical as it's unlikely you would ever find anyone with that stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.