PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
It's quite a nice pipe. After a quick look through the pictures, I can't say that I can find anything wrong with it. The stem could use some polishing to get back its gloss, and the bowl could use a good waxing, but that is nothing too major.
The pictures are kind of dark. The only question I would have for the seller is the condition of the inner chamber. Otherwise, it's an excellent estate pipe with a lot of years on it.
Good find, if you choose to get it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I won't say there is anything wrong with it...

However; it looks a bit underwhelming to me.

I wouldn't think it is worth the $$ posted as the starting bid.

Of course that's just me....

The only Dunhill I have ever drooled over was a classic churchwarden.

:puffy:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Jud, what do you think it should go for? Or maybe I should not have asked this question?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Looks nice, but I am definitely not up on what different Dunhill models and years go for... From what I've seen estate Dunhills go for, the price seems a bit high for a group 4, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I would defer to Rothnh on this one.
FWIW the seller has a good rep and takes returns, so looks like a reasonably safe bet too.

Aug 14, 2012
I have a different point of view than many others here. I don't go for used pipes, especially at that price. That pipe is 53 years old. Pipes get oversmoked after about 40-50 years and are not as good. They taste a bit soggy unless only rarely smoked. You don't really know how much it has been smoked or how many good years you have left. It is possible that it has not been oversmoked because the color is not very dark yet, but it is on the way. It is too much for a heavily smoked pipe, notwithstanding the fact that the Root Briars are the best Dunhills.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Doesn't look as though it was smoked alot for a 50+yr pipe. The price is at the top of it's value range so if you get it for the price listed you have resonable buy. The big question is, What is it worth to you? More than likely, it has another 50+ yrs left in it mate.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Well... it is mine, first Dunhill & probably my last pipe after the Boss see's what I did. Thanks for all the help!!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That pipe is 53 years old. Pipes get oversmoked after about 40-50 years and are not as good.
Interesting point foggy.
I see that it sold—@instymp did you get your Dunhill??

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill has its own high-end niche and its own coterie of pipe smokers. For the

price of a new or estate Dunhill, you can buy a pretty spectacular new handmade

pipe from a number of carvers. In some cases two pipes, and maybe a few

tins of good stuff. I've decided not to go the Dunhill road. If I got lucky at a

flea market or back country antique barn, I'd be delighted, but with a local carver

doing beautiful pipes I crave too much, for not so much bread, I'm happy

sans Dunhill(s). But I understand, it's a quest. They're numbered. They re-sell.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nice pipe.
I'm kind of partial to this one. Too bad it's sold already:

http://vikingclubpipes.bigcartel.com/product/1960-dunhill-shell-cherrywood-poker-475-f-t-estate-pipe-near-mint-condition

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I just splurged for two myself. Received one and waiting on the other. It is an outstanding, quality experience. I have really enjoyed the few bowls I've smoked out of it and now can understand the "Dunhill experience" better. Enjoy yours and looking at a quality maker like Tinsky or Rad Davis etc. is a good move as well.

Dec 24, 2012
I like it - not sure about the price since I am no Dunhill expert - but if you like it and feel the price was fair then who cares? Beautiful [pipe and a classic. I expect it will hold its value more or less, if its taken care of

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your new Dunhill. It looks like a very nice pipe and in good shape. Many people swear that the older Dunhill's smoke better than the newer ones so hopefully yours is a great smoker.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. The root briar finish is the lightest stain of smooth pipes. I hope you enjoy the pipe for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.