PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I just made an offer for a 1962 Dunhill Shell pipe, an attractive sandblasted item from an auction site. (I'm not mentioning the auction site because there might be a rule about mentioning other sites, but I'm sure you know which auction site I'm referring to.) The seller made a counter offer of barely less than $200. I'm new to the hobby and desperately want a Dunhill, but just can't see myself spending $350-400 for a new Dunhill. (Primarily because I can't afford that.) Opinions? Thanks for reading.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
There are way too many variables for me to give you a price specifically. So, it might be fair or it might be overpriced. However, the easy answer is that estate Dunhills are not uncommon by any means, so you can assuredly find "some" estate Dunhill at almost anytime. Now, if it's the exact one you want and it's a fair price, well that's a different question.
I was recently in the market for an estate Dunhill Cumberland around $150-$175 and found quite a few but somehow ended up with a Rad Davis. (For which I blame this site and Harris in particular).

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
What size/shape is the Dunhill? Can you let us know the nomenclature? When you say sandblast, is it a Shell, Cumberland? What is the condition of the bowl and stem? 1962 Dunhill pipes are coveted items and We may be able to give you a good ballpark figure of value if I knew a little more about what you are wanting to purchase.
Pipestud

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks all for the input. The pipe is a brown shell, very attractive--and I usually prefer black--and the price was reduced to $175, which struck me as immanently reasonable. So I sent payment today. There were some curious circumstances surrounding the pipe that I won't bore you with, but it was originally listed at $235. Given that price reduction, I think I did OK for the chance to finally discover what smoking with a Dunhill is like. If anyone wants to go through the trouble, the closed item can still be seen as #360693361966 on eBay. In fact, I would greatly appreciate it if some of you excellent gentlemen could look at the pipe and tell me what you think, bad or good. I'm still learning a lot about pipes. BTW, if you think the pipe is a #3, that is great for me, since I prefer a smaller bowl.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Looks to me that you did just fine. I didn't study it carefully, but that's a nice looking Dunhill to my eyes. The length is excellent and the year is a good one (my birth year). Had I spotted that one (and had the funds), I'd probably have gone for it too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I say you did fine! The SecondHandSmoker is a fine vendor (by reputation and my personal experience). He usually doesn't accept offers. A Group 4 Dunhill is just about perfect, my opinion. The stem looks terrific and the nomenclature is strong. I bet you going to love this pipe! Enjoy it.

$T2eC16F,!ysE9sy0gGI4BRkWu7KJGQ~~60_1.JPG

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm so gratified everyone likes the pipe and thinks I got it at a good price. Here's the curious story behind the pipe's listing: just as the auction approached closing, the sellers thought they spotted a hairline crack. But when they examined it again under strong light, they couldn't find the crack! So they decided not to take any chances and relist the pipe, but at a reduced price, with the option to return the pipe if I could find any flaws. Now, I'm a graphic artist who often works with a magnifying lamp--if I couldn't find the crack, then it doesn't exist. So there are no risks to me and a superb pipe in return. I bought it immediately after if was relisted at the new price--it was originally listed at $235, but the possibility of a crack made they lower the price to $175. So the worse that can happen to me is I do find a crack and have to return it. I think possibly they might have seen this minuscule crack in another pipe. It's nice to deal with honest businessmen. Let's hope the pipe is indeed without flaw. I'll keep you up to date on this.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I concur with the gang. I think you nabbed a great pipe in a size you like (it is listed at 30 grams). Also, the seller is well known and well respected. If indeed the pipe does have a slight shank crack you can send it back. You've scored a home run, sparrowhawk, and I'm jealous! :evil:
Pipestud

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I bought 2 pipes from that seller and both came in as advertised in excellent condition. I think you scored big time on that. I hope it is a great smoker for you and that you enjoy it for many years to come. Make sure to let us know how you like it after smoking.
jgriff, glad to hear I am to blame for your first Rad. I hope you are enjoying it.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I really did luck out on this pipe. Had I waited a mere matter of minutes, someone else would have picked off this bargain, from what I'm hearing here. Whew!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Gary Malmberg has that ebay store. I'm certain he will honorably stand behind the pipe if there is an issue.
On a related note, I bought a neat, LED jewelers loupe, $5 delivered. This thing works great and is excellent for checking out a pipe for issues, faded nomenclature, etc. I keep it in my restoration cabinet and it goes to to pipe shops/shows.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Illuminated-40X-25mm-Jewelers-Loupe-Magnifier-with-LED-Lights-/380539107902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5899e5fa3e

$(KGrHqF,!icE-z7iJkW6BPuHCRC+1Q~~60_57.JPG

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I have one exactly like that Al, they're very good for faded nomenclature, and not to bulky for a pocket short term.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Early 60 Dunhill's are excellent smokers. I have snagged several, and they are some of my favorite pipes. You did good.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I am familiar with the term "nomenclature" of course--I do have a couple of degrees in English--but the word seems to be used in a special context here, similar to "provenance." Would someone explain the specialized use of nomenclature in the pipe smoking world? Thanks.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oh, let me guess: does nomenclature refer to the words imprinted on the bottom of a pipe or elsewhere?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Oh, let me guess: does nomenclature refer to the words imprinted on the bottom of a pipe or elsewhere?
An interesting question, I had to look them up:
Definition of NOMENCLATURE

: name, designation

: the act or process or an instance of naming

a : a system or set of terms or symbols especially in a particular science, discipline, or art

b : an international system of standardized New Latin names used in biology for kinds and groups of kinds of animals and plants
Definition of PROVENANCE

: origin, source

: the history of ownership of a valued object or work of art or literature

As you already learned, nomenclature in the pipe world is the makers/manufacurer's stamping on the briar. An example of provenance would be a classic pipe owned by RD Fields or John Loring (past Dunhill collector).

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Nice grab, Seconhandsmokes (Gary Malmburg) from California is a very reputable and knowledgeable vendor. You have a quality, collectible, fine smoking pipe that hopefully will meet your expectations.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This "grab" happened by sheer dumb luck. Who would have thought both me and the seller would have been awake so long after midnight? The sale occurred something like 3 or 4:00 in the a.m. And a newbie making the grab? Ridiculous! Unless one is of a mystical frame of mind, and I was *supposed* to get this pipe... Then again, I may discover that hairline crack they thought was there, but couldn't find...I will know Tuesday. I just hope I can wait that long!

Status
Not open for further replies.