PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
WOW.
That's the first thing that comes to mind as my mouth was attacked with a barrage of wth.
The flavour is almost indescribable(imagine taking all the spices in your spice cabinet, mostly pepper and paprika?, and lightly spraying that with RAID bug killer), but i'm guessing the main thing I got hit with was the latakia. It's not a bad flavour... just an aquired taste.
I like the taste of it very much, but being that my pallate is very sensitive I would have to smoke this bowl EXTREMELY slow to enjoy it (which is actually the point right?). But I didn't have time to smoke a full bowl so this is my first impression of a half bowl. I will keep at it, along with other lat blends, until i finally decide whether or not I will add lat blends to my rotation and keep exploring them.
I imagine Latakia blends to be the red wines of the tobacco world. And I'm more of a Merlot kinda guy.
-Spartan
P.S.

How would YOU try to describe the flavour of Latakia to someone?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Sort of like a nice campfire. Room note on the other hand is like burning old sweat socks. I LOVE IT!

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I can agree with Kevin here, Nightcap is enhanced by the latakia, not focused on it. Gives it a velvety edge that stands with the punchy virginia and prickly perique. Love the stuff.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
One thing that I found with Nightcap (amongst other blends) was that it took me a few bowls before I really began to appreciate it. In fact, I really disliked it at first. I only smoked it because I'm both a stubborn masochist and a cheap sob. But then, one day, I loaded up a bowl (ironically, a pipe I had written off as not that great), and from the first match to the bottom of the bowl, it was pure bliss.
I describe Cypriot Latakia in a few different ways; cedar woodsmoke, peaty with a touch of camphor, or, in a few blends, burning rubber (in a good way somehow). Syrian leaf on the other hand has a subtle and slightly spiced, almost incense like smokiness.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Definitely a nice dose of Perique in Nightcap along with the Latakia. It's strong stuff, and I like it a great deal, but I can only smoke Nightcap at certain times. If I smoke it too early in the day, or on an empty stomach, I get a major N buzz and sometimes nauseous as well.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
my first thought was also campfire. if you think you like it now just wait till the weather gets alittle colder it is one of the best fall winter smokes i have encountered.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The original royal warrant Nightcap is simply a treasure. Rich and robust with a deep smoky Balkan flavour. The hewer version are simply not up to that standard. They are fine tobaccos in their own right, but should not be confused with its legendary namesake.

atuukson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2011
Sweden
I like nightcap (only tryed like 2-3 bowls so far) but i think it tastes less then old dublin. hmm shouldent it be the otherway around? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.