PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Does anybody have any experience with the new DH NightCap bulk?
It's my favorite smoke and I'd appreciate some input.
Bradley?
Fnord

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Dunno why it should be any different than tinned Nightcap. Dunhill wouldn't make a lesser quality product for bulk - it's not cost-effective to make two versions of the same blend, and could pose a risk to their reputation to boot. I would have no qualms about buying a bulk Dunhill.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Although the bulk and tinned NC likely started out with the same leaf, the different conditions of storage often affects the developing taste. In particular, the tins will go through the double fermentations, aerobic and then anaerobic once the oxygen in the tin is depleted. The second fermentation won't occur with the bulk until (unless) you then go and jar it.
hp

les

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Before the recent US Dunhill drought a few years back, the Dunhill bulk blends were apparently manufactured in the US by Lane ltd.
I'm not saying this is the case now, just mentioning what I read from several sources back then.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dunhill My Mixture 965 has good continuity between the tin and the bulk product. It's a

regular part of my rotation, so I have both on hand, a tin aging and a jar of bulk. I would expect

the same of Nightcap. I think it's a non-issue. Of course there is some variation caused by

storage, but in the short term, I don't think you have to worry about it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Jarit is right - Lane did blend the old Dunhill bulks for the US. The quality was pretty good - I used to make Gae's 421 in those days. (4 parts 965 to 1 Nightcap.) Gae is an Aussie woman who used to post in the old Yahoo Pipesmokers2 and review at TobaccoReviews.com

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
fnord wrote:
"Does anybody have any experience with the new DH NightCap bulk? It's my favorite smoke and I'd appreciate some input."
Okay, you made me curious with this comment. If it's already your favorite smoke, I can't help wondering what "input" you're looking for. Or did you just mean that Nightcap is your favorite smoke and you want info about the bulk version?
Bob

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Can't give a comparison because I just bought my first tin of Nightcap. I have bought and smoked the bulk version. That experience was quite good. Was very flavorful.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Ive smoked the tinned version of NC and it is still my favorite blend, such a rich smoke and not "scary" or overpowering as most people seem to think, I really want to try the bulk version to see if it is the same and hopefully at a cheaper price. Does anybody know where online (in the uk, Ireland or europe) they stock the bulk version?

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
rmbittner wrote:
Okay, you made me curious with this comment. If it's already your favorite smoke, I can't help wondering what "input" you're looking for. Or did you just mean that Nightcap is your favorite smoke and you want info about the bulk version?
Bob
I think he was merely stating that he likes DNC in the tin and if anyone had tried it in bulk to compare so as he wouldn't waste his time and money if someon had already tried it out... I agreee with mso489. The 965 is very comparible... let me know how that works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.