PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucem

Lurker
Aug 16, 2018
New to smoking pipe so take this for what you paid for it but this stuff is excellent in my opinion.
I just dried some out earlier today and tried it out tonight in a large bowl. It smokes pretty thoroughly and WOW what a great flavor to it.

I don't know what is blended in it or if there is some sort of flavoring casing applied but I taste a hint of honey, Am I wrong?
It just really smoked well in the Peterson Kinsale XL and I enjoyed it pretty thoroughly, just at the very end I dumped it but it was spent by then.

I bought two tins of this and if I smoke it again with the same experience I will buy more in bulk and jar it.
Anyway my .02 cent

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Careful. Latakia will make you impotent - and it's poisonous to roosters.
But having said that, I haven't tried Night Cap but I've got a tin in the cellar. It's one of the first blends I bought to try out along with some others. I soon discovered latakia isn't my thing - at least for now. A lot of people love Night Cap obviously.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I fell in love with Nightcap early on. Another one that I really liked was Rattray's Red Rapparee. Both are latakia-blends, easy to smoke and have a pleasant sweetness. Red Rap is milder though, sweeter and more of an oriental. After about a year I suddenly was put off by the latakia (the tarred leather/campfire flavor), and since then I have hardly touched them. My advice is to try different blends and not buy large quantities of any blend unless you have the option of selling or trading them. With Nightcap, that option is obvious, since production has stopped. For now, at least, but that's another story.

brucem

Lurker
Aug 16, 2018
LOL, thanks for the advice, especially the warning of impotence...
Honestly though I do not know the difference between Latakia and all the other leaves of tobacco, but I will read and learn, and obviously smoke and learn.
Thanks guys.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Buy some while you can. When it is gone, it is gone. Later if you decide to you can always trade them away. Try early morning pipe and London mixture while you can also. I second the advice to try other styles as well.

brucem

Lurker
Aug 16, 2018
Oh heck yeah I plan on trying different blends and cuts from here to eternity.
As I type this I look down at my very young, new tobacco stash in a file cabinet and there is no less than nine different blends available to me...This WILL expand.
I'll be honest one of my favorite is Half and Half. I go to this most often while at work,. I'm in construction outside so I can smoke all day and this is what I usually stuff in my little pocket pipe.

I think the stuff just hits the mark but I don't have the trained taste for tobaccos that all of you do.

Maybe there is some nostalgia mixed in as well because this is what dad always smoked.IDK.

brucem

Lurker
Aug 16, 2018
I've read that and also that NC is a bit sweater(if that's what your after) so I'll have to buy some 965 and give it a whirl.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I lost my taste for latakia after about six months but it was nice while it lasted.
Still, I am thinking about buying some Nightcap before it is too late. If only for the classic tin art...
How much perique do you get with this blend? I can't envision what that would be like - I'm assuming it is subtle and melded with the smoke instead of being distinctive. I have never combined latakia with perique before, but that is my guess.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I've read that and also that NC is a bit sweater(if that's what your after) so I'll have to buy some 965 and give it a whirl.
M965 is similar, lots of latakia, but instead of perique there is a touch of cavendish which rounds out the taste a little.

robykeys82

Lurker
Nov 6, 2015
I don't know in the US, but here in Italy the current Nightcap is a total crap. Not an EM + Perique, but more sort of a Va-Pe with a hint of Latakia and a terrible nicotine-hit almost guaranteed. I was annoyed after opening my tin, since I had smoked a sample of 10 years ago given by a close friend and that sample was amazing!

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
If you like Nightcap, 965, Peterson Old Dublin, Ashton Artisan's Blend, C&D Star of the East, and Peterson Balkan Delight will all be to you liking. Artisan' s Blend and Balkan Delight will be most like Nightcap, as the both have Perique, the others don't

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Of course, the Dunhill blends have announced they will no longer be sold. However there are some fair matches around, and I suspect someone will pick up the blends explicitly or not, and Nightcap and 965 will remain available under some name ... just surmise, but likely, as the pipe tobacco market goes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't know in the US, but here in Italy the current Nightcap is a total crap. Not an EM + Perique, but more sort of a Va-Pe with a hint of Latakia and a terrible nicotine-hit almost guaranteed.
Interesting. Does the tin say where the mixture was blended?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I will suggest that, with many thousands of other blends, why chase that which is expensive and will be virtually unavailable shortly? There are better blends cheaper and more available now. As to match, I don't go there as I have no expertise in that. But others do and may suggest similar smokes. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.