PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Got my first Dunhill a few weeks back with this 1976 Red Bark from smokingpipes.com. The mystery is this: looks like the same pipe was listed twice on the site, once as a 410D banker shape(product number 004-002-3615 if you want to look at the listing) and again as a 4100 diplomat shape (004-002-7262). Can't seem to find any info anywhere else online on either a Dunhill Red Bark 410D or a 4100. Wondering if any Dunhill collectors on the forum can shed some light on what shape I actually have here.
PpYJZHW.jpg

ykrf0cn.jpg

She smokes very nicely by the way and is feather light, though the stem/shank transition isn't as flawless as I would expect given Dunhill's reputation for craftsmanship.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Makes sense Roth. The stain is even a little lighter on the side where the transition is most noticeably off.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Roth it does look the the author shape that Al had just posted a few days ago, but either way it is a nice pipe.

~Ron

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Is the main difference between and author and a prince the stem length?

~Ron

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Ok thanks for clearing that up since I always thought that the main difference was stem length.

~Ron

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I think when you get into the similar looking shapes the actual name becomes subjective.

~Ron

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neat pipe. I think Diplomat because of the oval stem. My 552 has a round, Rhodesian or Prince like stem, but a very similar bowl shape.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thanks guys. Have seen a diplomat on a couple of shape charts - although this one is a little more prince-like - but never a "banker" as one sp.com listing labelled this pipe. Anyway understand from another of Al's posts that Dunhill sometimes floated experimental shapes that can be hard to place. Wondering if this falls into that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.