PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know anything about it. The classic Dunhill My Mixture 965 isn't this. Are you sure this is a Dunhill blend? Discontinued? Limited run?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I would have guessed it was an in-store only blend (or maybe it was), but Uptowns has some left.
http://www.uptowns.com/product_info.php?products_id=2451
It says it was actually blended by Lane Limited -- I wonder if there isn't still a Lane equivalent under a different name. Not necessarily the case, but it might be.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I could be wrong but I don't think there is a Lane version out there currently. The only components in it are Virginia and Burley. Non of Lane's bulk offerings are made up of only those two tobaccos. Of the labels I know that Lane produces only Half and Half is a Virginia/Burley only mixture. I wonder where Pipe Stud is. I bet he would know.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Okay, curiosity got the best of me and so I ordered some of this mysterious Dunhill My Mixture 26000. It arrived today and first impressions were not good at all. When I opened the box the smell from the tobacco was strong enough to gag a maggot on a gut wagon. It took me a couple of minutes to place the smell and then I realized it smelled like sassafras. Yeah, that kind shocked me as well.
By now I was beginning to see why it had been discontinued but in for a penny in for a pound so I went looking for a pipe. Figuring this stuff would not only ghost a pipe but would scar it both physically and mentally I decided on an old basket cutty I had picked up for the occasional bowl of Grousemoor.
Oddly, the minute I opened the bag the sassafras smell disappeared until there was only a faint odor of it in the tobacco itself. It was a bit on the moist side but patience is not one of my virtues so I loaded the pipe and lit it up. It burnt very well and I was surprised that I only needed to relight one time. I could taste the Virginia but not the Burley and the aromatic topping was present through out but not to the point of being overpowering or unpleasant. I was surprised by the fact that I actually enjoyed it since I am not one that smokes aromatics except for Grousemoor as was mentioned earlier. Another thing that surprised me was that there was never any gurgle, as I am a fast smoker, and the pipe was dry afterwards.
After I had finished the bowl I came to two realizations. The first was that the room (no wife so I smoke where I want) smelled slightly of sour mash whiskey. The second, and most annoying, realization was that I never did identify the flavoring. Therefore, I must report that the mystery of Dunhill My Mixture 26000 remains unsolved.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Those were the bulk Lane blends sold at the Dunhill shops here in the USA. Without looking at my Dunhill bulk list in the davecave I know A21000 is 1Q. Dunhill used Lane's stock descriptions so if you have that you can probably figure out what it is. Lane discontinued many of there popular blends years ago and from a quick search I'd bet MM A26000 was one of them. The cool thing about these mixtures were the large, old school MM tins that you got when you bought it from a Dunhill shop. 8O

steveva

Lurker
Nov 14, 2013
Years ago I smoked Dunhill A-26000, purchased from their mid-town Manhattan store. When the NYC store stopped selling their A-series tobacco I moved onto other blends. Eventually, I came across Lane RHQ-3, tasted very similar to the original A-26000. The old Dunhill description is nearly identical to Lane's. So while Dunhill's B&M aromatics may be gone, I believe they're alive and well in Lanes bulk blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.