PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dunhill mixtures are uniquely awesome. Discuss...
Seriously, I'm just reacquainting myself with the blends that really started it all for me a few years ago -- Dunhill Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe and My Mixture 965. Each, in its own way, is just so smooth and tasty. And reliable. For me, some of the blends by GL Pease, for instance, lack the same degree of integration and smoothness as the Dunhill blends. That's all by design, I know -- Pease blends are famous for the clarity of the different flavors in the mixtures. But at the same time, there's something to be said for understated perfection.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
EMP and NC were my first bulk purchase...I smoked just one tin each and knew I wanted more.

I wish all the Dunhill tins were available in bulk.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I haven't smoked a ton of blends, but some of the best have been Dunhill. MM965 is probably my desert-island blend at the moment. Dunhill kind of reminds me of that rare restaurant where I'm not afraid to try anything on the menu.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Dunhill makes some good blends. EMP is my first non-aromatic love, and I will always recommend it to someone looking to break out of the aromatic "funk". Nightcap is good, but I found that there are other full flavored Latakia blends I like more.
MM 965 is a different story. I smoked 2 oz of some bulk I purchased, and didn't really care for it. It seemed to be missing something. It's loved my many, but I can't say I'm a part of that crowd.
I'm looking forward to trying the Durbar and Apertif blends.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I keep EMP and Nightcap handy in bulk, and smoke them every day as the names suggest. The majority of my tins set and age... I usually have a few tins open but these two Dunhills are my daily workhorse smokes, morning and evening. I wish we had London Mixture in bulk. I just opened a four years old tin and I'm running short. Time to order more....

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I love the trinity of Dunhill blends that the OP references. EMP in the morning, Mm965 through the day, and Nightcap in the evenings - I do this rotation about three days a week. I smoke the bulk versions, and buy them in 5lb increments.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Just cracked one of the new tins of Durbar, and it is great. Smooth and easy burning with a great Oriental kick. A few guys are already on the "not the way it was" kick, but I found it to be a good Oriental mixture, and close enough to the Murray version that I will recommend it to Durbar fans.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
been burning a va/per trail so long sometimes I feel the only thing that keeps me grounded is that daily dose of nightcap.
especially with that first cup of coffee.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Dunhill Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls are almost unparalleled for me. Among the best in their genres. As for Durbar, Bill Roberts (writes reviews as E Roberts on here) is a pro tobacco taster who's had the original and new versions; he said that - in his opinion - the new Durbar is the re-release closest to the original. I'm not a huge fan of Aperitif, but I think that's down to my taste rather than the blend.
Andy

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Andy, I've yet to try the Dunhill flakes/rolls, but considering how much I like the others I'll have to at some point.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Navy Flake is next on my list along with 965. I guess I should get a third but haven't zeroed in on it yet.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I hadn't had MM 965 in ages — about 20 years. I cracked a tin of the Orlik-made and have found myself pleasantly surprised. I know it's different than the old stuff, but it's still just good English pipe tobacco. Looking forward to the Nightcap, which I have in my closet. Haven't smoked that in ages, too.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Everything I've tried from dunhill has been excellent. It is my favorite blender by far. I haven't tried them all yet but I've yet to be dissapointed My Two favorites are flake and emp. The only one I rate as good and not excellent is Elizabethan. I just opened a tin of navy rolls for the first time and I may have to stock up on that. I am looking forward to trying the new blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.