PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I found a tin of my all time favorite blend in the tboacco cupboard the other day- Lane Ltd. Highland. It was discontinued many years ago and I guess the 2 oz I have left must be from circa 1980. So I loaded up my 1976 Dunhill Red Bark, which I raely smoke, and lit up in the backyard gazebo. Delightful all around.

Sure wish Lane would bring this one back. Near as I can tell the blend is burley, vurginia, latakia and some kind of mild flavoring. Ahhhh.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've never pulled the trigger on a Dunhill. Maybe I'll wait another year or so and save up. I don't really want to spend more then $300 on one though and I haven't seen many online for under $400.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
nsfisher, all my pipes look like that. I do use a fair amount of pipe cleaners on them and take down cake build-up when it gets too thick but I don't maintain them the way I ought to.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
nsfisher, all my pipes look like that. I do use a fair amount of pipe cleaners on them and take down cake build-up when it gets too thick but I don't maintain them the way I ought to.
Right on. The exterior of most of my pipes don't look all that great. That's okay, they're mine, and they're to smoke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pa, don't you find you get a nasty taste when the vulcanite stem is oxidized like that? I am a lazy bastard but when it comes to those kinds of stems, I am a freak about keeping them clean. I use the Obsidian pipe stem oil on all of my vulcanite stems and that stuff is great. Wipe it on, let it sit for 30 minutes, rub it off with a paper towel, and the stem looks brand new. Of course I am starting with a stem that was polished, and the oil is more for maintenance, but once it has been cleaned right, the oil will keep it fresh for a very long time. After every use I will use the oil, and my stems look and taste great.
No I do not own a piece of Obsidian but it is the best I have ever come across.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I do have Obsidian Oil and use it occassionaly, when I remember I have it. I don't notice any off-taste but I also smoke 4 cigars today so that may explain a few things.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I wonder if it's ok to use Obsidian inside the stem. It's bound to be funky inside if it's oxidized on the outside. The bottle doesn't say anything about it.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I only keep 70% rubbing alcohol or denatured around the house. Would denatured work just as well?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes it will work, I use Rubbing alochol then Brandy for the inside of the stems.
@papipeguy: When I re-read my first message, it sounds to me as tho I was being snobbish and offhand. I should apologize for that as there was no insult intended. I should have worded it differently.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No offense taken, I can assure you. You're not the first guy to point out my lack of pipe housekeeping. I do appreciate all of the comments. It's why I'm here.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Papipeguy I saw a you tube video that a man used chap stick on his stems after smokeing, he said it contained sayilic acid(hope I spelled that right) and would keep stems clean , I tried it and it works, I put it on after cleaning pipe, when I go to smoke I take a paper towel and wipe it off, works for me. The old cajun

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Bradley, funny you should mention Chap Stick. The sten is loose on the Dunhill so I put some on and it held through the smoke. Truth be told, I smoke this pipe about once a year, It does smoke hot and may be bettr with flakes. I'lll experiment and see what happens.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
The stem on my Nording's tenon to shank fit is super tight. I'll pick up some Chapstick tomorrow and see if a bit on the tenon helps twist it on. I'll bet beeswax would work as well but none in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.