Dunhill limited edition pipe value, missing matching tamper.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronson

Lurker
Jul 19, 2015
Can you guys (and gals) please give me some buying or selling advice.

Regarding a Dunhill limited (300)edition pipe, with the silver band and silver figural tamper, in this case a Christmas pipe.
How is the value affected if the pipe does not have the original tamper?...or if it does not come with its original box? Of course its a 'collector' pipe so its value is more if its a complete set. If I sell a Christmas pipe that's never been smoked with a box but no matching tamper...is the pipe deemed virtually worthless?...even though its a top notch quality pipe? Or would I expect to get 1/2 value? or 2/3 value for the pipe without tamper?
Are replacement tampers available through Dunhill?
Thanks

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You can check with Dunhill about a replacement tamper but the pipes value will be reduced due to no box and tamper. As far as the value goes, you might be able to around half the value or maybe more. That collection, due to the way they are packaged, might get you a good price for the pipe but nowhere near what the whole package would include.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's difficult to say without seeing pictures of the pipe. Like MrEnglish replied, without the original box and accessories, it is worth perhaps 30% of the original selling price. Of course age and condition could move that number in either direction.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The Dunhill collector market more than most is adversely effected by missing or replacement parts. If you can get the pipe for a good price it might be a good buy but keep in mind it's value has been significantly reduced because its missing the tamper originally part of the set. Even if you were able to get a replacement it still would not be worth what a complete "original" set would bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.