PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
This is getting confusing. I just received this email from GQ tobaccos.
This year seems to be flying by!! Lots of new products arriving constantly at GQ Tobaccos though, as usual we have our tobacco and cigar of the month running and plenty of new pipes! A few rumours have been circulating the internet about Dunhill pipe tobaccos being discontinued, I can tell you however that this is hearsay and I spoke to the suppliers today and that there is no plans of them stopping, other than the ready rubbed. Hope you have all enjoyed some good tobaccos and cigars this month!
Seriously, what the **** is actually happening to the blends in the UK?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jazz, that is totally against what the reports have been saying. Could it be that Dunhill only plans stopping their U.S business? Or is your source wrong? Wasn't it PC who confirmed the demise of Dunhill pipes and tobacco? I am confused and damn glad I didn't go buying 1000 tins on spec.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Well, Harris, it could very well be bad information and at the present, I'm inclined to believe it may be but that email came from the online retailer GQ tobaccos and you would think both them and their supplier would know, right? I heard another slightly vague report that others in the business here had heard nothing about them disappearing from the market here.
It's all very bizarre. Has Dunhill just failed to convey the fact that production has ceased to all the relevant retailers and traders in the UK? I'd find that surprising. Or, will they still be produced for the UK market with the exception of the ready rubbed as stated in the email.
I just want to know if I will be able to continue to buy my beloved Dark Flake, Navy Rolls and Elizabethan.
Whatever the truth is I can't help think it's been poorly handled.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
BTW, it's not only the US where they announced that the blends were being discontinued.
I'm aware of this which is why this email is confusing me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have it on a good authority that Dunhill is going to sell their pipes and tobacco business to Greg Pease. He has been pining to own Dunhill for many a year. When he gets his hands on it, he will bring Dunhill tobacco to their former glory before the Murray days. As for the pipes, he is planning on bringing Rad Davis out of retirement to make all of the Dunhill pipes.
That's right, you heard it here first.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The collective misery over this bizarre decision by B.A.T. is reason enough for them to rethink it, so I'll just say that GQ tobax has suggested what many of us are thinking.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If one of us were creative enough to show BAT how to profit from the blends, I suspect that person would realize good moneys and the blends would stay available.
I'm pretty much a Dunhill blend and IRC guy, almost exclusively. I doubt many here smoke Dunhill exclusively or nearly so. Too many blends, too many small blenders with boutique type sales, way too many OTC pipe smokers, etc. eat into Dunhill's sales. We here do not represent the general tobacco market, most likely accounting for less than one percent of one percent of tobacco sales, if that much.
I wonder how many members smoke no more than three different blends as a matter of routine?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
If one of us were creative enough to show BAT how to profit from the blends, I suspect that person would realize good moneys and the blends would stay available.
I wonder though, if it's not an issue of profit, because I would think they make a profit. Or, if it's just that Dunhill wanted to separate their luxury brand from a tobacco image, which isn't popular nowadays.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dunhill started distancing themselves from the pipes and tobacco business decades ago. People tend to forget that Dunhill was involved in a variety of luxury products of which smoking products were a major part, but only part. If you follow the various permutations of companies and marketing decisions it's a constantly diverging path. The pipes still make enough to be continued. The tobaccos weren't a significant income stream. Pipe tobacco is a niche market and even within this niche market, the Dunhill branded tobacco were no longer major sellers. With the increased costs of continuing to produce them, BAT made a decision stop production.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If I were s huge Dunhill fanatic, I'd be assuming their imminent closure is fact and be buying product accordingly. Who knows what is driving the decision at the levels it is coming from? Perhaps the UK government is pressuring them. It could be any number of things. My speculation is they're seriously hoping for a buyer. It would be senseless from a corporate financial point of view to simply cease production and get nothing. I'm guessing early prospective buyers are wanting permission to continue using the Dunhill name. If the rumor of Dunhill wanting to distance themselves from tobacco is true, that isn't going to happen.
I would think the thing that makes the most sense is for senior managers and employees would be looking for an investor to continue the products and their careers. It's not hard to imagine there being one or more wealthy Dunhill fanboys who could throw enough enough money in to keep operations going so they would have a source for their pipes and tobacco.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They can't part with the name as they are still going to manufacture and sell cigarettes as those are profitable in the luxury cigarette market.
You are late to the party so, Alfred Dunhill Ltd does not sell tobacco products, they vend luxury products (dunhill, yes a lower case d) and are owned by a Swiss company, Richemont SA, founded by a South African, Johan Rupert. Dunhill tobacco products are the exclusive property of BAT. White Spot pipes are owned by some of the Dunhill family which no longer owns the marque and so cannot sell pipes under the Dunhill name.
BAT will cease producing a product which obviously does not pay it's way. By doing so profits increase. It would be senseless to keep manufacturing a product which bleeds profits from other lines or, contributes too little to the bottom line. BAT isn't going to sell off the tobacco blends/recipes and then compete with yet another Dunhill marque. Too many people today still think Dunhill is Dunhill as back in the 60s.

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I do not know about all the scuddle butt regarding Dunhill . But i did hear that they are no longer going to be making the Elizabethan blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.