PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

themitch

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
Siena
So i got this Dunhill because I really liked the blast and shape (and the price was right). But I am puzzled as it has no stampings on the briar, only on the silver mount and all there is is "Dunhill made in England" on one side and "70" on the underside. Can the experts give some insight on the pipe? The stem is strange too, very different from the two other Dunhills I have, maybe it is a replacement. Thank you all in advance!
dscf6799.jpg

dscf6800.jpg

ffd18c72-d89f-48c0-b792-de16b1fe2320-600x600.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I don't know a great deal about the 70, but expect it's similar to the model 92, which is also an army mount pipe. These shell briar pipes did not have stampings on the briar, so the date coffee was on the stem, but these are generally gone by now due to oxidation and buffing. Your stem is likely original. When you say it's different, do you mean the fact that it's an army mount, or is it some other aspect of the stem?

themitch

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
Siena
Thank you for the fast answer! The thing about the stem is that the bite feels quite thick between the teeth, and rouded, whereas the other ones are flatter. But maybe it is just variation due to different production periods. I guess I'm a bit paranoid because I got it for a very good price for a silver mount and so there is that little voice saying "there must be something wrong with it" :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.