PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajb40

Lurker
Dec 7, 2012
I recently have gotten into Dunhill blends. I absolutely love the brand and the iconic mixtures that come from them. I became curious after smoking a bowl of Nightcap about the origin and history of the blends individually. I have read some about the company itself and how it roughly started, but to my surprise there is not very much information on how the blends were inspired or when they were originally released. If anyone knows anything about Dunhill or the mixtures, please feel free to share! I'm so curious every time I pack a bowl about the history of the best pipe tobacco. Thanks! -Ajb40

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I received a tin of Nightcap from my secret Santa this year and it's superb! I'm still getting used to the Perique of it all, but there's something to be said about how nice of a cut it is. Packs perfectly in the pipes I've tried it in in and is a very rich smoke.
Also, Welcome!!! :puffy:

Aug 14, 2012
We used to go to the Dunhill fifth avenue store in NYC 55 years ago. The same blends were there as Dunhill has now, except they used to have custom blended My Mixtures, of which 965 was the most popular. I had my own MM, don't remember the number though.(It wasn't very good).

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Wow Rothnh, that link is awesome! Thank you for posting it.
I would kill to have those old tins, especially the 'Campaign Mixture' tin. How awesome is that!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I remember some of those blends from my early days as a pipe smoker - "Ye Olde Signe" and "Durbar" especially. Never smoked YOS, but smoked Durbar a few years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
I would guess there isn't much written down about blend history and so on. Check out Dunhill Page at tobaccoreviews.com. You might find some stuff there - some of the reviewers are quite knowledgeable.
And welcome to the forum.

ajb40

Lurker
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks for the warm welcome and for the article! I had no idea about some of the old blends. I wish they could bring some of them back! In the mean time, I'm happy smoking my London Mixture and Nightcap. Thanks again for replying!

Aug 14, 2012
papiguy: I went to Dunhills a few years ago. The new NYC Dunhills on Madison Ave. It was really disappointing. The pipe section had been reduced to a small cabinet in the basement and the prices were almost double what they go for online. It was an ugly boring place, and no longer a pipeshop at all. I was wearing jeans and running shoes and somehow they made me feel like a homeless person.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
One of our sponsors;
www.cupojoes.com
is listed by Dunhill as the largest retailer in the USA. They have some videos on their site which might give you some additional information.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ajb40:
You can't go wrong with smoking the Dunhill range of tobaccos. They're made to cut a wide swath across the pipe-smoking public and while one or two might not be to your liking they are a class product. They're also a great jumping off point to start exploring other blends.
Welcome to forum, friend.
Killer link, Mr. Rothnh. Thanks for the share.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.