Dunhill Gift Set - Anyone ever see one of these?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Hey all,

I’ve been on a quest to find some older Murrays Dunhill blends but the ones on Ebay are always priced pretty steep. I saw this set and decided to give it a shot. The seller really didn’t mention any specifics and the pics were a little hard to see to get any detail. I ended up getting it at a pretty good price, at least for me. I did a search but really could not find any reference to a tobacco gift set. The tins are all 25g and definitely look older. Heck some are even dented and I’m not sure why. The box had not been opened but some tins have aged differently than others. I hear denting may be normal and I’m hoping the tobacco is OK. Is there any way to date these? There are really no distinguishing markings. I’m hoping they are indeed Murrays blends. Has anyone seen these before? All ideas and insights are as always, greatly appreciated.
imag0254-337x600.jpg

imag0256-600x337.jpg

imag0257-600x337.jpg

imag0255-337x600.jpg

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Oh and if I do open these and they smell like death warmed over should I just dump the tobacco and move on? I'm hoping that if they are old enough I may see some of these sugar crystals I've heard of.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I received one of those Dunhill sampler packs back in the 70s. I believed they were offered during Christmas season with the purchase of a Dunhill pipe. As long as the seal is still good the tobacco should be ok but it may need moisture.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
It was 51.00 for all 6. I figured it was worth a shot. If they are from the 70's then I'm definitely way happy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Those are definitely older than the Murray versions. They should be in fine shape, Dunhill tins are made for long term storage. You got a steal on this one. I could easily see those going for over 200.00.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, heck of a deal you found! I'm staying tuned for how they smoke, I love several of those blends, at least the modern versions. That might almost be worth unopening and saving as an investment! Another 5 years and they'll be worth over $200 the way vintage tins seem to be going. Almost....

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Judging by the Royal Warrant on the tins, they are probably from the early 80s at the latest. I forget when they were removed but it was around then I think. After the Royal Warrant was gone, they still had the block lettering until the late 80s early 90s and went to the script Dunhill lettering we see now. All dates are approximate of course.
If they are still sealed, they will be fine. If the seal has popped, you can still rehyrdrate them.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Thank you all for your insight and replies. It does appear that these are the original blends before Murrays. I really was not expecting that. I think I will indeed just keep these for a while and see how they mature in value. Though when a very special occasion rolls around I may just open that tin of Nightcap. :) Thanks again all.

Status
Not open for further replies.