PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Regarding my post last week. Today I revisited the Antique to have a look at the pipes that the Owner was going to have for me to look at today.
He had 6 but this is the only one I wanted. Dunhill Shell Patent- I make it out to be 1934, Group 4. Can you guess the price I paid, lol, hahahahah, It was a bigger steal than the one I picked up last Summer. This little baby became mine for $20.00.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, excellent fisher. Great score. I can't wait to see the restoration pics. You did a fine job on the one last year!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Wow, what a great find! I haven't had much luck at second hand and antique stores, and most things that I have found were trash or way overpriced. You sure have some luck, my friend.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Great score Mike! Consider yourself added to the list of people I hate! :lol:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks everyone. I am afraid that I need to ask for some advice now. As you can see by the pics, the stem has some grooves and indents near the button. I would like to know what the best method to lessen them with. I think I read about putting a wet cloth on the stem and then applying a Hot Knife to the cloth. I am not exactly sure how to approach this though. Any advice would be welcome.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Nice catch. Good luck with the restore, be sure to post pics when she's done.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Mike
Any time I go to garage type sales I can't find anything in the pipe family
Good for you
Sorry I can't offer advice on the stem but in the end, I'm sure you'll find out how to do it
Good luck

Allen

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
As you can see by the pics, the stem has some grooves and indents near the button. I would like to know what the best method to lessen them with. I think I read about putting a wet cloth on the stem and then applying a Hot Knife to the cloth. I am not exactly sure how to approach this though. Any advice would be welcome.
Hopefully Al will chime in. I believe he has taken a lot of dents out with much success during his restoration projects.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That's a crazy find. My whole piping career, I've been frequenting yard sales, flea markets, and estate sales. I've picked up my share of nice pipes, some good smokers too. But I've never come across a Dunhill. Count your lucky stars. Congrats.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
fisher, when are we going to Vegas?
Another lucky find. On the stem, a steaming wet cloth will probably cause some oxidation that you'll have to deal with. It's hard to tell how bad the dents are, but I've used a lighter or candle flame to smooth out small dents. YOu just have to be careful about not getting the flame too close or you'll get burnt rubber. Basically, hold the stem a couple inches above the flame and move it around a bit to gently heat it up. Most small dents will just pop back out.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Congratulations Fisher!
Make yourself a big mug of instant coffee and get to scrubbing!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
A few weeks ago, a new member was at a head shop having a going out of business sale. He reported, or rather posted on this forum, that mixed in with the plexiglass bongs, stone pipes, and glass tube crack pipes, was a brand new never smoked Dunhill that was sold to him for less than $50.
The bargains are out there just waiting to be found...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks everyone. I am afraid that I need to ask for some advice now. As you can see by the pics, the stem has some grooves and indents near the button. I would like to know what the best method to lessen them with. I think I read about putting a wet cloth on the stem and then applying a Hot Knife to the cloth. I am not exactly sure how to approach this though. Any advice would be welcome.
Mike,the wet towel and hot iron is used to removed dents in the briar. Never heard of using that method on stems. Careful application of heat( as stated above) can lift shallow toothmarks etc. Careful sanding and filing will get rid of some or all,depending on depth and location. They can be filled and if done correctly the repairs are hard to see. Personally if I were mine I'd send it out for a replacement stem. It's well worth the cost.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ahh the Illusive Antique store find, one day, one day! So far I've gotten a Bjarne, a Nording, and an African Meer, plus loads of Kaywoodies and the like, but my Dunhill is still out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.