PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
As the tittle suggests I received a recent order of Dunhill Flake and it was in round tins. When did they start doing this? Has it been that long?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
This is news to me, but it doesn't really surprise me. The newly released Dark Flake comes in a round tin. With the new label requirements the round might offer easier compliance.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'm pretty sure that the new EU labeling laws require standardized tins and pouches. Pretty sure every tinned tobacco will be in the same tin . Likewise with all pouch blends. I wonder if 50 gr tins will be the only available or if 100 gr. tins will still be allowed?
Mike S.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
img_00532-600x448.jpg

I got it from Smoking Pipes

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Small hijack...I had the same experience with Peterson PPP, and it's a good thing because we all know the square tins are more likely to lose their seal.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
I got a round tin as well from smokingpipes. Ordered from another site as well and got a square tin.... I think smokingpipes has around 1000 tins of the stuff so maybe they got a new shipment.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Yes, all Dunhill blends will now be in round tins. I am told it is not due to any law, but rather a simple move to a more cost efficient packaging company. I use this source for a lot of information regarding Danish blenders and he is very reliable. And despite Denmark being such a feel good country in most respects, they are really one of the worst when it comes to smoking laws. Go figure.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's the EU's Tobacco Products Directive, or TPD that imposes requirements on warning label size and percentage of surface area devoted to warnings. The square tins do not have enough real estate to carry the warning AND the product label. We get different labels in the US than they do in the EU, so for now they could still use the rectangular tins in the US, but they aren't about to run two different packaging lines. The FDA will be imposing similar label regulations here in the near future.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As sable' notes, round tins have always been thought to provide a better seal, hence better aging when unopened, and better keeping if you must leave it in the tin unsealed. From the consumers point of view, the round tins are a good thing, though I still like the square tins, since I haven't had any that seemed to have let in air when sealed. it seems like the Dunhill blends are in jeopardy, but the situation is so vague, it's hard to tell. I have some sealed Dunhill if it turns out to be true.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
There shouldn't be a difference in taste but $100 says someone somewhere is ranting that they changed the blend!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't give a rat's behind what shape tin it comes in, as long as it comes. The thought Dunhill will go away is very disconcerting. It's one brand I could always count on for consistency and ease of smoking. No drying, no fussing or cussing, just pop a tin and enjoy.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That's really weird. I recently ordered 5 tins of Marlin Flake, and they arrived in square tins. I remember them being in the round ones. I just can't keep up with all these changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.