Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
1x7-600x400.jpg

2x8-600x400.jpg

I wonder how many folk have dismissed a blend simply because they smoked it in the wrong pipe. I know I have!
In the square 50g tin the two rows of neatly stacked flakes looked enticing. Mostly mid brown interspersed with flecks of golden leaf and rather thinly cut. Tin aroma was not at all what I was expecting, it was a little vague but hints of fresh turned hay intermingled with tea leaves were the most evident with a very light 'scent' which suggested some kind of topping.
Rubbing out was no problem largely due to the fine cut of the flakes and only minimal airing was required afore I loaded up my McQuade bent bulldog. Char light, tamp and light proper and the ball was rolling. Huge plumes of white smoke initially billowed from the bowl but then settled down. From start to finish I got none of the gorgeous flavours one usually gets from a straight Virginia like FVF or Golden Glow, all I got was a taste of cigarettes with the occasional hint of Virginia sweetness and the meerest whisper of citrus and I really had to look hard to find that.
This really is more of a 'dry' Virginia than a sweet one and to be quite frank this was rather akin to smoking cardboard. Yes there is flavour in there but it is so hard to find and once found it is so diluted it might just as well not be there at all.
Now fast forward to a week later.
Not too happy with my initial experience with this blend I decided to give it another go but this time in my Bernina bent billiard, an ancient pipe that so often has revealed flavours in blends that were not so apparent when smoked in other pipes. The difference was quite amazing. I was now tasting what I should have the first time around, what was then a hard sought citrus sweetness became much more apparent and I no longer had the impression of smoking cheap cigarettes or cardboard. The typical Virginia flavours one would expect were there in every puff though they did flatten out slightly the closer to the end of the bowl I got.
I am now smoking this in a larger GBD bent billiard and am thoroughly enjoying every moment. Though not as flavoursome as Sam Gawith's Golden Glow or FVF I still feel Dunhill Flake is up there with the better straight Virginia blends. Mild to medium in strength, slow burning with zero bite this is a very 'clean' smoke.
So it just goes to show that not all blends sing their hearts out in every pipe. I wonder how many folks have dismissed blends simply because they were smoked in the wrong pipe...I know I have!
Would I buy this again? What with so many straight Virginia blends out there, many of which I have yet to trial I cannot honestly say I would. What I would do however is recommend this blend for those seeking a good Virginia, it may well prove to be a favourite. A well deserved 6/10 from this piper.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
That's interesting, I guess the right pipe does make the tobacco right! ;)
I personally do not like this one. Smells artifically aromatic and plummy. Smokes acrid and too sweet for me and the last tin I had I mixed the remianing flakes in with my left overs bag/ran out of good stuff bag.
Have you tried Samuel Gawith full virgina flake yet? It's right sod to dry and prepare but can give some of the most amazing neat, hay sweetness out there!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I haven't tried this one yet but have often wondered about it. So far, one of my absolute SUPER favorites in the VA flake game is Wessex Brown Virginia Flake... that one's a 12 on my 10point scale!!

:puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Samon, perhaps you didn't read all the review.
"Though not as flavoursome as Sam Gawith's Golden Glow or FVF..."
Jerwynn sadly Wessex blends are not available here in the UK.
Regards,
Jay

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Good review. What I like about this review over many is rather than focusing on technical descriptions you took us along on your personal experience and that detail tells me it comes from the heart - a no BS review. Thanks!
Yes there is flavour in there but it is so hard to find and once found it is so diluted it might just as well not be there at all.
That happened to me with EMP, but after learning how to smoke it I could get much more flavor out of it. I now highly recommend EMP as a beginners smoke but I won't repurchase; there's far to many options on the market that suit me better, London Mixture for example.
This really is more of a 'dry' Virginia than a sweet one and to be quite frank this was rather akin to smoking cardboard.
This is why I don't smoke Virginias - and I know the problem is me not the tobacco. I honestly can't be bothered with the learning curve. I'm positive I'm missing out, but I'll get there eventually.
I wonder how many folk have dismissed a blend simply because they smoked it in the wrong pipe. I know I have!
I am completely convinced that it's worthwhile to give a so-so blend several more chances, including trying it in some different pipes.
Dunhill is really good at diversity and it seems this blend isn't for you mawnansmiff, but I'm sure there are VA's in the Dunhill line better suited to you.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've smoked a lot of Dunhill Flake, and I won't say the pipe itself doesn't matter, but only for very specific reasons. If it's even slightly ghosted, it will change the flavor of DF...because DF's flavor nuances are very subtle and easily overshadowed. In a large-diameter pipe it will be difficult to keep it lit across the entire bowl, which also can influence tasting the subtle nuances. An overall large-chambered pipe leads to a very long smoke, and DF can get really boring after a while.
The basic thing to enjoying DF is NOT to dry it, as that will make the subtleties even harder to taste. Dunhill ships their blends at the perfect moisture, and although DF feels moister than their ribbon-cuts, it lights and stays lit fine. Even if you need to relight more often, you will get more taste than if it's dried-out. This is yet another instance where the new paradigm of pipesmoking as "a hobby" and applying ritualistic "rules" (such as "tobacco needs to be dry to smoke cool" and "relights are a sign you're doing something wrong") detracts from the taste. Because of its very subtle flavor nuances, DF needs to be smoked moist, slow, sipped and savored or else it can seem tasteless and cigarettish.
That said, I happen to vastly prefer DNR. The perique steps up the taste a lot. DNR is a very rich, flavorful smoke by comparison.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I like it so much I have a pipe dedicated just to it: a humble Peterson Killarney 69; it fits precisely one flake!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've tried the fold & stuff method along with cube cutting but with little success, likely down to my technique so I tend to rub out all flakes. It is after all how I started smoking flakes and success is guaranteed :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dunhill ships their blends at the perfect moisture, and although DF feels moister than their ribbon-cuts, it lights and stays lit fine
Perfect moisture for shipping and storing, not for lighting up.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Great review. I scored a two year old tin(at least according to the internet) and thought it was pretty tasty. I like it a lot, but dont find myself reaching for it. I have noticed that it smokes better out of some pipes better than others, but I've noticed this with my pipes and how they are dedicated.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo maw - DHF is one of my staples. I enjoyed your review(s) and methodology. Perhaps a big factor is that airing out a freshly opened tin develops flavors for me. I love to sniff the fresh tin note of a newly opened tin, but I don't count on having the taste upon smoking coming through for several days. It's a little like the way a big red wine needs 20 minutes or so of airing out.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.