PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Last year when I really started smoking a pipe regularly, Dunhill Flake was one of the first 2 tinned tobaccos I tried. I loved it and smoked through a couple tins of it pretty quickly.
Then I started exploring virginias and va/pers more and discovered OGS, McClelland's blends, Anniversary Kake, Escudo, DDNR, and Stokkebye's LNF and LBF.
I sort of forgot about Dunhill Flake and for the last several months have not had any. I smoke PSLNF during the day at the shop, and McClelland blends or anniversary kake mostly in the evenings (or nightcap, or JKP). Whenever I leave the house I carry a big tin of OGS with me and it's my "out and about" smoke.
On my last P&C order I got a couple tins of Dunny Flake. I just finished my mowing, and sat down in my easy chair with a big glass of ice tea (unsweetened) and loaded up my MM Country Gentleman with a whole flake of the Dunny, folded and stuffed.
Wow. I had really forgotten just how good it really is. This is absolutely everything a straight virginia should be IMO. It's slightly sweet, with lots of hay/grass notes and tiny bits of citrus that just peek out once in a while. It's absolutely heavenly with this iced tea after a hot morning of mowing.
This is going back into the regular rotation ... right away.
Just wanted to share this moment of bliss with the other pipers here on the forum.
On an unrelated note: my last P&C order also included 3 new-to-me blends:
Russ Fire Storm: I love va/pers and DFK, so I got this after hearing about it from you guys on the forum. Amazing. Very, very sweet virginias with fruitiness from the perique and the smokey kick of the DFK. It reminds me a lot of GLP telegraph hill (the sweetest va/per I ever smoked) but with the extra kick from the DFK to liven it up. I'll be buying more of this.
Solani Aged Burley Flake: Very deep and rich. Sweeter than I expected but not overpowering, just barely there. Excellent burley blend. It's what Prince Albert wishes he could be. A lot smoother and easier to smoke than, say, Five Brothers but with that same burley flavor profile. This could make a really nice change of pace smoke for me when I'm not in a virginia mood and latakia isn't what I'm craving.
Bob's Chocolate Flake: Again, I got it because it came highly recommended here on the forum. Good burley, but I'm not sure if the added flavoring is for me. Pouch note is incredible but I was a little put off by the flavor. I'm gonna give it a couple more bowls and see if maybe a change in setting or drink pairing makes it more acceptable to my palette. If not, there may be a free sample of Chocolate Flake in the future for a fellow forum member :)
Happy piping, brothers.

Dec 28, 2015
Dunhill flake was the first tinned tobacco I ever had. Was gifted a tin from a great friendl that I work with. All I had before that was carter hall. I have tried countless other brands and blends since but the Dunhill flake is still sort of the benchmark that I measure all tobaccos against. Thanks for reminding me to get it back out and smoke some of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know which I like better, discovering a new (to me) blend I really enjoy, or getting back to one I really enjoy but have missed for a while, out exploring other possibilities. Yes, isn't Fire Storm extraordinary? I hope Russ's skills can be used successfully despite the regulatory hoopla we face. These top flight blenders are real artists. It's fun to have several of them who check in with Forums from time to time.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I hope Russ's skills can be used successfully despite the regulatory hoopla we face. These top flight blenders are real artists.
Amen. They are very much artists. And yes, hopefully the new regulatory burden will not kill their art form.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I did the same, Dunhill Flake was a staple when I first picked up a pipe. I've since come back around to it, the plus side is they have been aging for a couple of years. Such a satisfying bowl.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Down to the last unopened tin of a 10-pack of DF, think I'll give it a rest for a good long while. It's good but I like DNR much better.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I love Dunhill Flake; I confess to hoarding the stuff. I love it in a billiard briar, I love it in a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman. It's the bomb on a boat, it's incomparable with ice cold beer. DF is what got me hooked to Virginia flakes in the first place.
:twisted: - Haaahahahaaa! I'll never run out of the stuff!
:puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I need to touch base with it again. I have been smoking mostly Capstan Blue Flake and Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug in it's place so it's ,time to give it a whirl again as it is one tasty blend.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I have been smoking mostly . . . Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
Harris - I'll thank you to never speak of this blend again. Picked up my first tin last weekend and WOW! Unfortunately, it appears to be a unicorn blend as even without forum notoriety, i'm finding it very difficult to procure online.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just bought a 50g tin of DF and am honestly struggling to get anything from it. Granted I've only had three bowls thus far but it's just not doing it for me like say FVF, Royal Yacht or Golden Glow does.
I've only recently got into straight Va blends and really want to like DF. Perhaps a week or two in the jar might help matters?
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.