PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
In honor of the spring season and the fact that, for once, it doesn't feel like the middle of the f&#!*% arctic circle, I popped open a nice VA flake last week, my first tin of Dunhill flake. I have a pretty good stockpile of this stuff going, and I'm kind of glad. Like most other offerings from Dunhill, this flake is very elegant, tasty, and complex. The flakes are presented beautifully in the nice square tin and rub out fairly easily to the shredded kind of broken flake consistency that I like. Needs a little bit of dry time but not overly moist. Takes a light very easily and is a no brainer to keep lit. The thing that I like most about the flavor of Dunhill flake is that, even with a tin as young as this, it doesn't have any of the grassy, citrusy edge that a lot of young VA flakes have. Instead, Dunhill flake leans more toward the dark wheat, honey, and fresh baked bread kind of flavor that my man dhizzy and I are always talking about. Towards the end of the bowl, I start to get an overtone that is very much like perique in a peppery and lightly fruity sort of sense, and as far as I know there is no perique in this blend, but the last quarter of the bowl sure does taste like it. This will probably be considered heresy by fans of the particular tobacco, but Dunhill flake reminds me of a lot of the flavors I get from FVF without all the headache that comes from prepping that particular flake. Burns down to a very fine powder and is effortless to maintain. My only criticism, if there is one to be had, is that the nicotine hit from this blend is almost non-existent, which isn't a deal breaker for me, but for those who have that craving it may warrant a disclaimer. I can't wait to see what happens to this stuff once it has sat for a few years, but it's really good right out of the gate. Definitely a must try for all VA fans!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Great write-up, Pipe Novelist. I too am a fan of Dunhill Flake. (And the lack of nicotine is a definite plus for me.)
I think I agreed with just about everything you said.
Bob

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Nice review.
I like Dunhill flake, but I find it to be very inconsistent. Most flakes from the same tin tasted very different. Some flakes there was a wonderful VA sweetness and others almost gave off that steam flavor that you find in some Cavendish blends.
I prefer Samuel Gawith's BBF.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Great review Pipe Novelist! Not sure I'm a VA guy yet, but you sure made the blend sound well worth a try. As you and rmbittner point out the low level of vitamin N, this makes it even more attractive to me. Dunhill Flake just moved up on my must try list.
Thanks

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the review Novelist. I look at DF every time I pop into the shop to buy Navy Rolls but always nix it. Next time I'll grab a tin and see how it goes.
Andy

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I only started smoking a pipe at the start of January this year but have already tried and loved most of the other Dunhills and several Samuel Gawiths.

I bought a tin of Dunhill Flake the weekend before last and...wow, pure pleasure. It's like an idyllic rural childhood has somehow been manifested in tobacco form...if that makes any sense. I spent the rest of the weekend (and the one just gone) smoking this whilst out walking.

It certainly seems a perfect smoke for spring-time.

Many thanks.

joeyanchors

Lurker
Apr 19, 2014
After getting back into pipe smoking after 4 years, I'm starting with Irish Flake. After reading this review I might just have to buy a tin of Dunhill Flake with my next paycheck!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Bought a tin of DF and just over half way through now. Premium tobacco in beautiful flakes - I wish all flakes had this size and consistency. I enjoy the smoke, which is earthy and a pleasant mix of some sweet and some spice, but I can find the actual experience very dry. I'm looking at my packing and smoking techniques but it still can feel like I'm chewing talc. Ho hum.
Andy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a big fan of DF and it is one of my go to first of the day smokes. I like the fact it is low in nicotine as I like a mild but flavorful blend first of the day.
I totally get the " honey, and fresh baked bread kind of flavor " along with some caramel overtones and I find it to be an extremely consistent blend from bowl to bowl. I am also not a fan of grassy Virginia's so this is another reason I really enjoy this one. I always cube cut this one into large cubes and I pack it very firmly. I never let it dry before I smoke it as to my tastes it comes at the perfect humidity.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Harris wrote:
"I never let it dry before I smoke it as to my tastes it comes at the perfect humidity."
Yes! And then I forget this when I go back to Full Virginia Flake and think I can just pop the tin and go. . .
FVF offers a more flavorful, richer experience, in my opinion. But that doesn't take anything away from Dunhill Flake. I think DH is the quintessential mild Virginia Flake. (And if anyone thinks that's not saying much, compare DH with a fresh tin of Hamborger Veermaster. I think you'll be mightily impressed by what DH is bringing to the table. Or the bowl.)
Bob

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I've been saving that tin for some time now.. I tin-baked it, perhaps it'll be one I break out for the Anti-Tobacco rally I've been hearing about this saturday.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I was fortunate enough to find a cigar shop locally that had a number of tins of "Dunhill Light Flake" that were dated 2006. Was one of my favorite tobacco's that I saved for special occasions.
I think I will take a run by that shop on Friday and see if there are still more collecting dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.