Dunhill Flake and OGS (Orlik Golden Sliced)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have a good stock of these two and I've recently gave up on the Amphora (after almost two yrs). I find I'm liking the flake tobaccos a lot more recently. Dunhill and OGS are my two regular smokes for the last little while and they just seem so much better than anything else right now. Occasionally I throw in a day or two of Three Nuns (expensive so I take it easy with it lol) amd I really enjoy the flavour switch.

I've found the best way to prepare the flakes is to loosely rub them out and pack lightly. Smoke nice and slow and get a great reward of delicious smoke.
Just my .02 for some on here who haven't tried them yet.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I just got to try the Dunhill flake this week and really like it. It seems to be more citrus-y than the OSG if you ever want to try a good bulk flake that is to my mouth on the same par with these two, get you some PS Luxury Twist.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Never had the Dunhill Flake, but I do go through a ton of OGS. As much as I love the stuff, I can't get it to behave in a briar. I used to use a Country Gent for it, but since the Twains came out, that one is my OGS pipe. Any tips or tricks to get it to smoke better in a briar?

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Never had the Dunhill Flake, but I do go through a ton of OGS. As much as I love the stuff, I can't get it to behave in a briar. I used to use a Country Gent for it, but since the Twains came out, that one is my OGS pipe. Any tips or tricks to get it to smoke better in a briar?
I fold and stuff mine, but I'll also leave the flakes out for 15-30 minutes to let them dry before I try and smoke them.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I am looking to move from Airo's so I made a order for OGS, Mac Baren Navy Flake and HH burley kake it should be here Monday . I was worried about getting OGS because I tried a Full Virginia flake once and it was not a good experience because of the tongue bite I kept getting so I would be interested in how to tame OGS and or the Navy flake

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Again, no experience with the Dunhill Navy Flake. In my world, no experience=no advice! But as far as the OGS goes, I loved the flavor so much, I couldn't give up on it. My solution was to dry it, rub it into as much of a ribbon-style cut as possible, and mix it 50/50 with Carter Hall. Yeah, I know it's training wheels, but it did get me used to the smoking characteristics of OGS without roaching my tongue. I now enjoy OGS on its own wholeheartedly, but as I mentioned before, I can only smoke it in a cob. Baby steps...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Cue the cube cut suggestions. Cue the pack it more loosely than other tobacco suggestions. Cue the sip and slow suggestions...and also, the let it dry for awhile suggestions....

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I haven't had any problems with OGS and folding and stuffing. I can't speak for Dunhill Flake, but OGS has me in love with flakes.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Dunhill Flake is probably my favorite tobacco. Once you get to really know it, you'll find that it has much more depth and character than you realize, at first blush. It does start off relatively bright/citrusy, but it broadens and becomes much more rich further down the bowl.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Regarding how to smoke these in a briar: while how best to prep and smoke tobacco is a matter of personal taste, the only flake I cube cut is Capstan Blue. With other flakes, including these two, I give them what I call a "rough rub out" - somewhere between a traditional, full rub out and a fold & stuff.
If you like these two, I suggest trying Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and Rattray's Marlin Flake.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Dunhill Flake just slightly edges out over OGS but both are what I describe as "idiot proof" flakes to fold and stuff. They both take the light well and keep burning, puff after sweet delicious puff.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I've tried PS Twist, and navy flake as well as bullseye flake. The luxury twist is on top in my my books but has more caramel(ish) flavours to me as opposed to Dunhill Flake. Today I think I'll have some Pertersons University for a change up.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not a fan of OGS when fresh at all. I find it to be very grassy tasting, but with 10 plus years, it is sublime. I really enjoy Dunhill Flake fresh and am really looking forward to smoking it with 10 years, I am pretty sure it will be spectacular with that amount of age. I smoke either tobacco cube cut or folded and stuffed and get good results either way. The only thing I never do with my flakes is rub them out, to me that defeats the purpose of smoking a flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.