PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
In addition to the Dunbar I got at the little smokeshop on Friday I also got some tins of Dunhill Flake. This really is a high quality tobacco as well. Nice straight Virginia. This will be wonderful in a few years or more. As mentioned in another thread about mixing FVF and Escudo I mixed this with some Brown Irish Twist this morning with my coffee. Quite nice also.

Dec 24, 2012
Completely agree with you about Dunhill Flake. I like it young but am confident it will be fantastic with some age. I have 53 tins of it in the cellar so I am betting heavily on that outcome.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Very nice stuff, indeed. I have a tin from 2007 open now - had a bowl today. I need to grab a few more tins.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Love Dunhill Flake! Best Va flake I have tried so far. How is it compared to FVF? I just got a tin of that one and I am excited about it.
XD

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Had some last night, I had forgot about the peppery taste, was quite good, smokeing a bowl for a high school friend who passed away Saturday i liked him but he was a prick, his wife was a jewel felt sorry for her, well life goes on, The old cajun

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
If you enjoy Dunhill Flake, you might want to try a tin of Peterson University Flake. I tend to switch between thee two as I can never decide which I like best.

Jul 12, 2011
Love DF, great in the AM for me w/side of espresso. A fantastic blend; I do the simple fold/stuff method in a 3/4" conical bowl chamber

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you enjoy Dunhill Flake, you might want to try a tin of Peterson University Flake.
Uni Flake is higher in nicotine, or so it appears to me. It's got burley in it which DF, formerly Dunhill Light Flake, does not. UF has a nice taste, but is beyond my tolerance for Lady N.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Yeih, UF and DF do not compare so well, IMO. My first experience with UF was just ok, the second one was good. I m thinking I should give it another try, maybe tonight! XD

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
True there are differences between Uni Flake and Dunhill, but to my taste they share the same "mood" if that makes sense!

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
I love Dunhill Flake. Haven't tried any aged. It's great straight out of the tin and much easier to prepare than FVF.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dunhill should put this on their tins of DF, " great for beginners and connoisseurs alike". DF is a perfect VA flake for any beginner to cut his teeth on, yet has enough flavor and complexity for flake veterans to enjoy. It never bites, smokes great without additional drying, is easily cube cut and has some very nice sweet flavors.
Another great flake for beginners is Astleys No.109 Virginia Flake, no bite, mild and tasty.
In terms of University flake being comparable to DF, the only thing I find similar is that they are both flakes. I am currently smoking a bowl of UF as I type so I am big fan, but I think UF is a very unique flake that has it's own attributes that are much different than DF. It is much stronger, has the burley in it, has the topping and I consider it an aperitif blend for after dinner where I smoke DF as my first smoke of the day.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I adore Dunhill Flake. I have had at least one tin of it in my stash for the past 10 years. Age does to it just what you would think it does to it. Rounds out any rough edges and smokes cool, soft and sweet with just a little sweet spice in the nose. Like someone cooling a sweet potato pie on the window sill while the men are off cutting hay.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, it is not going to be everywhere for long. I only have 25 tins in stock and will be grabbing another 50 in the next few months. I have been holding off on this one, loading up on others that are harder to find. I predict that by the end of the year most highly rated flakes will difficult to come by.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
DF is one of the top tobacco flakes made. When I’m setting out on an adventure that will take a few bowls, well that’s every day. I find it one of the nice bridges from the BBF to the FVF in building into the stronger Vapers. I face the handicap of just not liking ribbon cut, leaving me with less choice in tobacco. But the golden rule of what’s the best tobacco is always what you enjoy the most. I’ve yet to see what age will do, but I’m sure it will be something great. I’ll see at 1, 5 and 10. A must for any long term cellar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, totally agree, every mom and pop and all the big guys carry it. I wish every one of my favorites was that available. It makes you wonder why these other companies have such a hard time producing their quality flakes.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
This has been a great thread. I'm glad I bought it and shared it with you fellas. Lots of good discussion. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.