PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hello! Got this Dunhill and I *think* its a 1955 Dunhill Shell. I have never, in my limited experience seen an oval chambered Dunhill and if anyone knows anything else about this pipe I would appreciate it.
20130816_002645_zps38ead0cb.jpg

20130815_220901_zpse0bd7310.jpg

20130815_220702_zpsf5876973.jpg

20130815_220313_zps8d4185f2.jpg

The draw is wide open, the stem is tight, and it was $85. FTW!!!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi Chris! I was so stoked when I found it. I was r e a l l y not in the market for a pipe today after buying the don carlos last night. But there was no way I was passing that deal up. It is like 4 inches long. It is the coolest pipe!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
wyfbane: Wonderful pipe.
Did you find this on the Bay, in an antique shop, where? Just curious and will understand if you don't want to share that info.
I don't want to spoil your honeyhole.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thanks!
Tenn: So I try to support my local B&M here in Tacoma, despite the retarded tax rates. I buy Tobacco from them on the regular and have purchased 20+ pipes from them since November even when I can sometimes (usually) save some dough trolling on ebay. (I am predominately an estate pipe buyer).
So I befriended one of the guys there. He is great, but moving on. Yesterday was his last day. I stopped in. He pulled this Dunhill off the wall and said, 'Hey man! Glad this one didnt get away (i missed on some good deals recently that I didn't even see) before you had a chance on it.'
I never put it down once he handed it to me. lolz.
Jeff the owner priced it that way (the price tag was $85). There was no favoritism. Mad props to the Tacoma Tinderbox. I will support them as much as I can.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
The oval shape is intended to do less insult to line of one's finely tailored attire. The compact size is intended to make the pie easy to carry in a vest pocket. The small bowl is intended to correspond to an intermission-length smoke.
And $85 for this pipe is intended to make me insane with envy.
Very well done.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
It is indeed a 1955 Opera or Vest Pocket Pipe, nice find. I collect 1955 Dunhill' my birth year. I also have the same pipe, but with an ivory stem, that belonged to Nat King Cole. Got it on eBay and it came with all the provenance. Seems after the death his wife there was an estate sale and the person I got it from kept all the documentation, the newspaper story about the sale, the ad, pretty much everything. I can imagine him lighting up for a quick smoke between sets...

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Wyfbane:
What a fascinating find. Not more than five minutes before reading your post I was at the following site:
http://www.finepipes.com/gallery/dunhill-about-smoke.html
Roll forward to Pg.34 and you'll find the Bruyere version of your burner. In 1927 Dunhill referred to them as "Tweenacts" corroborating the replies from Duckfat, Roth and Tslex.
Lord knows I'm no Dunhill expert but I'm guessing that was a swell find for an 85 dollar bill.
It could be that perfect pipe for the last smoke of the day.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.