PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I have been looking at a number of Dunhill estate pipes. Many of the pipes have the inner aluminum tube. It is my understanding from previous posts that this can be discarded. However, I would like some confirmation and was wondering the following:
1. Does the pipe smoke better or worse without the tube?

2. Can the tube be thrown away or will the value be reduced if I do so?

3. Do Dunhill pipes with these tubes go for lower prices?

4. Do these types of Dunhills smoke just as good as those designed not to accept the tubes?
Thanks in advance.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Natibo
You should be aware that there is one style of Dunhill that has a 'Vernon Tube' installed in it and I believe it cannot be removed. I own one such pipe and the tube is installed permanently; it is the tenon of the pipe itself. It is a 1934 bent Dunhill.
DunhillVernonTenon1_zpsdee298b1.jpg~original

Sorry I don't have a pic with the pipe separated at the moment.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi Natibo,
I have a 1974 Group 1, Dunhill Shell with an inner tube, and I've been watching estate pricing for about a year, so that's my frame of reference. That being said, here is how I would answer your questions:
1. Does the pipe smoke better or worse without the tube?

- I prefer to smoke mine without the inner tube. The draw is nice and open and I don't worry about moisture collecting between the inner tube and the shank.
2. Can the tube be thrown away or will the value be reduced if I do so?

- The inner tube does pull out fairly easily. You can, of course, throw it away. Yes, the value of the pipe will be reduced if you do not have all the original parts/pieces at the time of resale.
3. Do Dunhill pipes with these tubes go for lower prices?

- Not bloody likely... er. Nope. I've seen abused Dunhill pipes, with barely legible nomenclature, chewed up rims and cracks sell for more than NOS factory pipes of reputable makers.
4. Do these types of Dunhills smoke just as good as those designed not to accept the tubes?

- I've only smoked one other Dunhill, a 1968 Group 4 Root Briar. In my limited experience both pipes smoked well and, as I said, when given the choice I pulled the inner tube. That being said, the difference in bowl size of these two pipes is too great to really compare apples to apples.
I hope that helps,
-- Pat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Almost all Dunhills come with an aluminum tube. Why, I have no idea. The tube design hasn't changed in 100 years. It doesn't really do much as a condenser, which was its purpose. All of Dunhill's competitors kept advancing their own designs.
Almost everyone discards the tubes. The tubes slip into the end of the tenon and are easily removed. You can buy replacement tubes from a Dunhill dealer if you ever want to replace the fitment.
As far as pricing, I haven't seen any evidence the tube really matters to collectors. As stated earlier, Dunhill sells replacement tubes to those who want one. The same tube that went into a 1915 Dunhill will fit into a modern one.
Taking out the tube will open the draw. That's pretty much why everyone discards them.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I got rid of the inner tube on my Red Bark when I got it in the mid 1970's. I never understood its purpose and never missed it. I'd also be stunned if not having it reduced the value but, then again, I have no intention of selling mine.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't imagine resale being hurt if the original tube is not retained. But, I'm a bit anal and retain things like that, for my children to discard...

I would have no qualms buying a pipe sans the tube, In fact I'm betting over 60% of estate Dunhills sold on Ebay or elsewhere are missing the tube.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
BTW, the Vernon fitment isn't a tube, like the inner tube. It's a connector, not a condenser. I'm a bit rusty with this area, but if I remember correctly, the Vernon connectors were used in the 1930's. It's a very desirable feature to many vintage Dunhill collectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.