Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Hello!
In anticipation of potentially having to find a replacement for this brand, and since I am new to the whole scene so I don't have a large stockpile, what is a good substitute for this? I have found that it smokes well for me any time of day, and as long as I can buy it I will, but just in case....
Thanks!

Jul 12, 2011
Not sure I would say substitute , but you may like Low Country's Cooper , I would blast through tins of this stuff - I have to go see if I have any EMP left in the cellar so I can compare again. :puffy:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I smoke EMP and Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture regularly. I find the two blends very similar. Both blends contain: Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia. EMP is listed as an English while Skiff Mixture is listed as a Balkan. You might give Skiff Mixture a try and compare for yourself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried EMP, so I can't match it with anything; however, for a refined mild complex English blend I often recommend Nat Sherman 536, which has some burley to leaven the mix. Quite a satisfying smoke.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I'm a big fan of Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme in bulk. While a bit heavier than EMP, it is virginia/oriental with latakia mellowed by a bit of unflavored black cavendish. Quite pleasant, a favorite morning smoke of mine and very reasonably priced. P&C just lists it as Balkan Supreme but it is a Stokkebye blend made by STG. Smokingpipes.com calls it Arango Balkan Supreme (Arango is the North American distributor). It was named best English blend at the Chicago show in 2014.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I have another one you should try....pipesandcigars Presbyterian Match. This is just a really nice blend of quality virginia/turkish/oriental with just a dash of latakia to let you know it's there. Mild and flavorful....and way cheaper than Dunhill, or most anything else for that matter. Worth a try...

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
+1 on Cornell & Diehl: Good Morning. Underrated and lost in the massive C&D catalog.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I'm liking this thread. As someone who had his first nirvana smoke with EMP, I need to find a replacement for it since I was only able to stash away a few of the Dunhill tins.
Thanks for the suggestions!

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Totally agree with the previously mentioned SG Skiff Mixture.
Another in the same vein as EMP would be PS English Oriental Supreme, at least according to my palate. YMMV.

Jul 12, 2011
I just went and popped open a 12yr old tin of EMP, since I have some alternative blends coming in within the next week or so I wanted to get through a tin of EMP to see if I can find one that perhaps matches or maybe comes close to this outstanding blend

Status
Not open for further replies.