PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Has anyone had any bad experiences with purchasing Dunhill estate pipes on ebay?

I assumed that if it is a top rated seller, then I shouldn't be worried.

I just know that people make fakes.
Hope I can get some good input, as I am sometimes wary about eBay.
Thanks everyone!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Look at coopersark.... You can't go wrong for Dunhills. He only has a couple this week, but keep an eye out.

http://myworld.ebay.com/coopersark&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A great question. I only know a little about Dunhills, but I'm constantly watching for one in my birth year, 1961. It can be difficult. Sometimes sellers don't know they have a fake. However, I suspect there are more replacement tenons than fakes out there, but you still have to do your homework. Stamping and stem design are critical elements. There is way too many nuances for a newbie to learn and be able to identify from an ebay pix. When I find a '61, I'll be sure to send it to a few trusted Dunhill experts for confirmation. Get to know those guys on the board. There are a ton of good Dunhill webpages out there, study them if you really want to gain some knowledge. I'd also recommend the "Streets of London" social group over on the SmokersForums.uk, those guys know their British pipes. Chat up the Dunhill guys here as well, of course. We have several serious collectors.
As mentioned, you are pretty safe buying from someone like coopersark, secondhandsmoker (he has a wonderful '61 on now!) or pipestud on Ebay. Their reputations and pipe knowledge is sterling and they are well respected in the pipe world. Mr Can is also someone who has a lot of Dunhills. Be warned, their pipes never go cheap.
As in every collector purchase, if you get a "deal" on a Dunhill, it might not really be a deal!

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I've had good luck with Pipestud.....
boy, more than 10,000 positive transactions and over $10,000 in pipes for sale, very impressive

Look at coopersark.... You can't go wrong for Dunhills. He only has a couple this week, but keep an eye out.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Here is the link to the Dunhill I am currently looking at.

Hopefully you guys can give me your input as to whether or not it is authentic based on what you see.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have contacted h about the pipe, and coopersark gave me the link to a website that would help me identify an authentic Dunhill.

The information he gave me matches up with this pipe somewhat.

I suppose if I win it, I'll have two weeks to contact someone about it's authenticity and then if I were to find out it is fake than I can return it.

I'm sure with the sellers reputation that the pipe is perfectly legit but there is always that worry that you might get jipped.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great Estates is one of those good sellers, so you should be safe there. The stamping looks solid, to me. That one will go mid $300's is my guess, it is a really nice example. I never smoked one newer than 2002 (my old one) but they say the 60's era pipes are in a class of their own. Too rich for my blood - but that would be a keeper for a lifetime and if you cared for it properly, it's likely it will never lose value. Good luck!
The "Briar Patch" in CA is a Dunhill reseller and always has a lot of vintage pipes on hand, some at very reasonable prices. I bought a Tinksy from them and can recommend that shop. They have a '67 Tanshell billiard for $200 at the moment, hard to beat that. They were a Dunhill retailer of the year in '07.

http://fujipub.com/briarpatchcigar/
I salivate over this '61 Root Briar bulldog, but at $500+ it's just a pipe dream for me.

estatedunhillpipe1093a.jpg

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the site herbinedave! There are some nice pipes for sale!

You all have been extremely helpful thanks so much.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This tanshell bulldog is holding steady with three hours to go, this guy is a rising ebay star.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251078769194&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I actually have this one in my watch list right now.

I would bid on it, but because I'm already the highest bidder in another auction, I'd hate to win both and only be able to afford one.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I find myself in the same pickle all the time....

I would bid on it, but because I'm already the highest bidder in another auction, I'd hate to win both and only be able to afford one."
If i bid on something it usually is a pretty good deal so i figure i can re-post it later for sale if needed.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have no doubts now that this seller is worth buying from. Thank you everybody!

I will proceed the auctions with little to no worries. :)

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I did not get the Tanshell :cry: and I was really sad when I saw how cheap it sold for.

Did not want to bid on it simply due to the issue I stated a few posts earlier.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
I second the call for pipestuds saturday morning auctions// He has been doing this a long time and is very professional with great pipes. He seems to examine each pipe he auctions and is knowledgable. I think quite a few Dunhills hit his auction site.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Anybody bid on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270992758123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Sad thing is, the straight grain really doesn't look that impressive to me.
tgdr6star3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.