PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I decided to open my tin of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe today and give it a try. I sometime have problems with Virginia blends but I have heard so much about this blend I wanted to try it.
I like the label on the tin, lots of colours and nice to look at.
When I opened it I was surprised a bit because it didn’t smell at all like what I expected. I usually don’t like the smell of English style tobacco in the tin but this was mildly pleasant.
The cut is light and fluffy which made its really easy to pack and light. After the char light it only required one relight to finish the bowl.
It smokes pretty smooth and mild and will heat up the pipe if you smoke a bit to aggressive
The description in the ad for this said Virginias and Orientals but there is something else in this mix that adds a bit of spice every now and then which is good because I like that. Maybe a touch of Latakia or Perique? Not sure.
I’m not a big fan of high N tobaccos and this one is mild enough that it could be a good choice in morning or before bed with a cup of Earl Grey for people that high N keeps awake at night.
Overall I liked this and could smoke this anytime of the day no problem. The room note is not unpleasant but likely better smoked outside on the deck.
The only thing I really didn’t like about this blend is after I was finished smoking I could smell a cigarette smoke smell on my hands and my shirt. I don’t like the smell of cigarettes so this was a bummer.
Sorry for the long review. Recommend this to everyone except people that need that high N in their tobacco.

Reactions: SaxonX

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I've been tossing up whether to get this or not. I really like the Nightcap and after your review it sounds as though this is a good smoke. Think I might just throw some onto my next order!
Plus! I love the smell of cigarettes!!! I quit in December and since then I always lurk around the smoke pit just to smell cigarettes! Sounds gross, I know :rofl:

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Kyletheaviator you will like this blend if you like that smell! I just smoked a bowl and my wife said I smell like a campfire. :puffy:

It really is a great blend. Great review barkar.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Very nice review!
@barkar: when you say "cigarette smoke smell" do you mean current American cigs with all the chems, or the Canadian cigs from 15 or so years ago? if it's the latter, it wouldn't be so bad .....

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for the review. I don't think I have quite the pallet yet to give an accurate review.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Thanks Barker for your good review. Dunhill EMP is a must in my TAD, I smoke a bowl daily while driving to the work. As you stated, it's mild N tobacco with touch of Latakia. I recommend to smoke it in a samll bowl pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The only thing I really didn’t like about this blend is after I was finished smoking I could smell a cigarette smoke smell on my hands and my shirt. I don’t like the smell of cigarettes so this was a bummer.
I found a similar aftertaste/smell. I enjoy MM965, a much heavier Lat mixture, but found the EMP to be a bit harsh as well.
I took a page out of nfishers book and jarred it for a few months, for another peak at this blend that seems to have a big following.
I hate a nic-hit as well, so I'm always looking for Lat blends that don't knock me over.
A nicely worded review, good job!

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Nice review. Have only recently began rotating earlier morning pipe tobacco's with my morning cigars. Going to give EMP a try. G1

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Yeah, Barkar,

I've experienced that cigarettey smell too and I don't much care for it. It seems halfway through a bowl you can get some real subtlety out of this blend and it's nice, even for a very mild tobacco.
But I've smoked it several times now and I just can't get past that cig smell. Shame.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Great review. I have a tin myself and love it. Its one of the bowls I smoke when I know I can be alone in my thoughts for an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.