Dunhill: Early morning pipe ( in a corn cob)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I will be getting this for my corn cobs here as soon as I get my bank account set up in two weeks (long story) I will give you my opinions on it then, but I am curious as to what the rest of you have to think about it. Is it good? Does it taste better in a corn cob or a briar? I have heard that corn cobs have a sweetening effect on tobacco

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
EMP is an old favorite of mine too. I usually enjoy it in a briar, but it's fine in a cob pipe too.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's one of my few tobacco's that I currently smoke usually every day. I love it, it's a strong smoke, don't expect a mild blend from it. When I first got into smoking pipes I found it too strong but now it's in my regular rotation, I have a pound of it coming it should be here on monday, plus a half pound from before. It's great, very oriental forward, nothing quite like it, alot of imitations that don't stack up to the real EMP, it's about twice as much as most bulk but worth every cent.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
It does taste different in a cob, and if it is better or worse that's personal opinion, I prefer cobs for any blend. Just a heads up if you hate this blend give it a few bowls for you to adjust to orientals and if you still hate it cellar it and come back with a few months experience and you will be surprised what you missed the first time. I'm assuming your new to pipe smoking if not then ignore my advice :)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
EMP is just about my favorite all around English . It is so aptly named for first thing in the morning. I can't speak about cobs, but I agree with wnghanglow that this is one that really grows on you
EMP in the morning, Dunhill 965 in the afternoon, possibly interspersed with some Va's in between. :)

Jul 12, 2011
Love EMP, now that it comes in bulk I buy it by the pound and

it is in my normal AM rotation ever since I started pipe smoking.
I smoke her in just about everything and love it; Briar, Cob,

Clay & Meer

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I love it but can't smoke it for more than a few days. It's a fairly 'light' tobacco that isn't quite full on flavor and if I smoke it everyday it leaves me wanting more.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I really like smoking VaPers in a cob. The sweet tastes just seem made for each other. I think EMP would be a fine fit. You can't do anything "wrong" in pipe smoking. It's all part of the experience and journey.
EMP is tasty. I haven't smoked any in months, but it really opened up a whole host of different flavors and smells for me. I remember smoking it for the first time and thinking "what am I tasting?". It was sweet, herb like at times, and then a bit of butter salt and creaminess on the underside. When you snork a bit through your nose a whole new side of it makes itself known.
And welcome!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
EMP is delicious in a cob, and the slight sweetening of a new corncob will round out the smoke. I don't think it's a strong flavored tobacco, but it carries quite a nicotine hit. It is also a good tobacco for aging.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Thank you everybody, does anyone know of any sites I can order it from at 18 years old. My Fiance and future mother in law said they'd order it for me from cupofjoe, but idk, this seems a bit sneaky, but it should be legal I mean I am 18

elliott

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2014
I have some of this on the way from P&C, pretty pumped for it to get here already.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It's been way too long since I've smoked EMP. It is however one of those classic blends you can never go wrong with. I'm sure you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
EMP is a favorite of mine but its true that it's good to rotate out of it for a couple days then come back to it as it can flatten out on you if smoked too often. I find it sweet and nutty both in my briar and cob pipes. One of the best there is in an English tobacco.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I've been smoking EMP lately in a cob. I think it does just fine in a cob.
It's a lighter tobacco... the slower it is smoked, the better it tastes, and you'll get more flavor. The first time I smoked it I think I was puffing too fast, and it was a bit sour and acrid for me. It has a lot of Orientals and Virginia tobacco that prefer a slower smoking style with a lower burning temperature.
If you are using a new corn cob pipe, it'll take a few bowls before the real flavors come through better, too.
Now I get some light sweetness contrasted with a sour/musty taste from the Orientals.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
EMP for me has a mid bowl explosion of delicate flavor that seems to come through in every briar or cob that I smoke it in. As stated, it like any pipe tobacco needs to be sipped and savored to bring out the best in its given qualities. Some pipes will carry that sweet spot further than others and despite descriptions of it being "mild", it has a solid nicotine punch that you can feel under the tongue. I have to start my day with this blend and often times I will double dip and have 2 bowls, I love it that much. One thing I have not done is to cellar a quantity of it and probably will this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.