Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Dunhill - Durbar

(21 posts)
  1. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Probably preaching to the choir here and I’m sure it’s been talked about ad nauseam over the years.

But, this is an awesome mixture.

Just had my first bowl. Pretty amazing. Easy to smoke slowly to savor the flavor with only a relight or two.

Started out perfect with a nice sturdy flavor all of the way to the last five minutes of the bowl.

The last five minutes were the most interesting though.

I began to get a taste like sweet root beer. Then vanilla. Then creamed corn.

Never had that creamed corn experience before. But, it was, altogether, one of those “all is right with the world” moments that make smoking a pipe one of life’s quiet joys.

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Another good one lost to the fall of Dunhill.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just popped a tin of this to jar and of course saved a couple of bowls to smoke now. This stuff is outstanding for sure. 4 more tins in the cellar for future enjoyment. Love this stuff.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed, Durbar is magic, and while there are lots of really good oriental blends around, there's something about the mixture of perfume, spice, camel sweat, and whatever else you find in there... it's pretty amazing stuff.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Terrific blend. Based on some previous threads I read, I take it is not to everyone's taste. But I think it was wonderful. And like most Dunhill blends, burns very nicely.

Surprisingly, it was nearly the last blend to sell out at a quite a few places after Dunhill closed up.

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Surprisingly, it was nearly the last blend to sell out at a quite a few places after Dunhill closed up.

Yes and this is reason why I delayed buying it but now that I've tried it, I certainly wish I would've bought much more.

Fortunately there are hundreds of other readily available blends I want to try. I'll miss my stash of Durbar when it's gone but probably not for long.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

It's a great mix. I'm cellared pretty hard on it. P&G still has it available.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Durbar was one of the sleepers in the Dunhill line. Not the most popular but a crazy good blend.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

How does it compare to White Knight and Presbyterian?

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a great mix. I'm cellared pretty hard on it. P&G still has it available.

You meant P&C?

P&C does indeed have it. Just added 10 more tins to the cellar. Thanks for the tip.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How does it compare to White Knight and Presbyterian?

Take this for what it’s worth because I’m still fairly new. White Knight and Presbyterian are excellent English blends and two of my favorites. Durbar is also an outstanding English however it seems as if the tobaccos are in better proportions and they smoke better/smoother to me.

Check out and compare each one on tobaccoreviews.com to get a better idea.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I discovered Durbar recently and love it. I've been searching for a replacement Balkan, but the few I've tried don't have the same perfumy-incensy thing that Durbar has. So far I've tried Balkan Sobranie, G.L. Pease Westminster, and Peterson Balkan Delight, a.k.a the English (?) that thinks it's a Balkan. I like all three, but even though they might be just as good as Durbar they lack that certain je ne sais quois. The search continues...

Btw, I'll take this opportunity to mention that Westminster is an excellent replacement for London Mixture, and might even be a little better.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

gerryp, try some GLP Quiet Nights. It has that incense-perfume thing going on. Not exactly the same as Durbar, but very present, and quite nice...........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 6 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

Still able to stock up on plenty of Durbar here in the UK. Gathering a nice stash on a regular basis.

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Durbar is great. I have 30 tins in the cellar.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  16. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a really nice "incense" Balkan, I found Arango, Balkan Supreme to be unbelievably good.

Also, I did find Durbar in stock at pipesandcigars.com. Just ordered 10 tins.

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Durbar is great. I have 30 tins in the cellar.

That's funny. I bought 30 tins not long ago, when P&C had them for $7. Tempted to buy a few more now ($10 is still an excellent price), but the 40 or so tins in the cellar now represent a lifetime supply for me, at least for an occasional blend like Durbar.

For a really nice "incense" Balkan, I found Arango, Balkan Supreme to be unbelievably good.

A little pricier but very nice is Orcilla Mixture, at least in my opinion. And quite a few house bulk blends: Persian Slipper, one from Rich's (the name escapes me), Tashkent and No 40, etc.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Durbar...wonderful stuff...don't have that many tins of it, but with the rest of the cellar to work through, the 4-5 tins I do have will make it a very tasty treat.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Durbar. When it was reintroduced a few years ago, my first order was about 20 tins, and I've kept a pretty steady stock.

As far as how it compares to White Knight and Presbyterian, it is like White Knight. It tends towards the sour, woody incense type of Oriental blend, more in the vein of Sobranie White. Presbyterian is sweeter, softer and more floral.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

gerryp, try some GLP Quiet Nights. It has that incense-perfume thing going on. Not exactly the same as Durbar, but very present, and quite nice...........

Thanks beef, I'll check it out.

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke this very often. But, when I do, I am always amazed at how great Durbar is.

About every 5 or 6 weeks Durbar calls out to me.... Durbar.... Durbar..... and I grab that tin and fire up a bowl and say Thank you Durbar!

Truly a diamond in the rough.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   acidpox, ssjones, pepesdad1, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88, oldgeezersmoker, redglow