PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
There is an absolutely beautiful Dunhill four-square panel pipe on smokingpipes.com. I really love this pipe. I have wanted one like this for a long time. It is almost just like Bing's pipe in Holiday Inn. But I could never pay $1135. Can anyone help a new pipe smoker understand why this pipe could cost this much? Is it really worth that much? I'd post a picture but I don't know how. They have a few estate versions - one for $735 and one for $525. Still pretty pricey.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
stanlaurel:
You mean it looks like this?
th

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Interesting. :puffpipe:

This (later) colored picture of the pipe in this 1942 movie seems to show that pipe has a cumberland stem. While Dunhill made use of cumberland much earlier, it only officially introduced the cumberland series in 1979.
Will it be a Dunhill pipe or a four-square panel pipe from some other brands? Given paneled pipe designs have been here for a while.
Can anyone help a new pipe smoker understand why this pipe could cost this much? Is it really worth that much?

this can be a question related to economics (supply & demand), psychology (perceived value and branding) or philosophy (what value means), in short, every pipe smokers get for what they can afford and what they are willing to pay.

As a matter of fact, Dunhill pipes are also factory pipes after all.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I'm sure that Bing's pipe was not a Dunhill but the Dunhill is just like the shape. The dress version is all polished black with the silver ring. The estate versions (4124) have no silver and are wood grain. That picture of course has to be colorized since the movie is black and white.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
stanlaurel:
There is an unsmoked Dunhill 6124 Shell briar square-panel pipe currently listed on eBay (Dunhill 6124 Lisitng) by a seller in Germany for $765.00 U.S. (or best offer) plus $17.50 for shipping.
To one degree the price of a Dunhill is predicated upon the fact that you are paying for one of the world's most recognizable names in pipes. To another, they are typically good smokers which tend (if they are well-cared for) to hold their value. The bottom line is that they, like everything else in this world, are worth only what someone is willing to pay, and (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on whether you are the buyer or seller) some are willing to pay much.
15495b88df86e5c1bd74757006f2aa453.jpg

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
This thread is luring out some beautiful panel pipes :puffy:
@stanlaurel

This pipe looks very similar to the Bing's pipe you've mentioned.

Dunhill-Chestnut-4124-Group-4-pipe-806-Dunhill-806-Alpascia-img-98667-w580-h312.jpg

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Dunhill-806-i26233x2.html
If you really want to having a similar pipe and made by Dunhill, that is going to cost that much. Models with a silver band tend to cost a bit more and smooth finished pipes also tend to cost a bit more than sandblasted pipes. But if you just want a Dunhill panel pipe, say in group 4, you can probably get one in nice conditions around or under 300 Euros. For those with major flaws and non-original stems, sometimes you can get a risky bargain for under 100 and then it's about how good you can restore that pipe.
uc

It's my panel pipe. I wish it can read something like 'PAT.No.... EK' instead though. Still enjoying it like many of my other pipes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Can anyone help a new pipe smoker understand why this pipe could cost this much?
It's basically the same thing as why some designer fashions cost 1000$ whereas you could have a very similar looking fashion for 100$. It's a combination of brand, material, and quality. Personally I'd never pay that much for a pipe, but to each his/her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.